Menu

How to review algebra 1 quickly?

Do you still have your algebra I text? Reading through the lessons and working some of the problems would probably work well considering that you have two months to review. Khan Academy also has videos - all of that is free. Honestly, I don't remember which math you decided to use this year, but when you get the text for algebra II, just start right in with that since the first part of the book is generally review of algebra I.

Those videos Belacqua recommended are definitely fun to watch. They don't cover everything, but what they do is done well and easy to remember. I'd suggest watching the geometry one(s) as well. :)

http://www.classzone.com/cz/books/algebra_1_2007_na/get_chapter_group.htm?cin=1&ci=1&rg=quick_reference&at=parents_as_partners&var=parents_as_partners

I have used the worksheets at the above link to review Algebra with kids who needed to test out of it upon entering high school. The worksheets go with a particular text, which I like, but you don't need the book for this. Basically, for each chapter in the book, there is a 2 page worksheet. Ignore the first page entirely. On the second page are sample problems, with the answers. Go through the worksheets for all the chapters - this will give you an idea of what kinds of problems may be covered, and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. THEN you can go on to one of the sources previous posters mentioned, and target your work to the areas where you need review.

Are you familiar with the Standard Deviants DVDs? They're entertaining and silly, but the math is sound and they're excellent for review. My library carries them, so yours might, too.

Thank you, I will look into these! I have never heard that math could be fun, so this would be great!

Do you still have your algebra I text? Reading through the lessons and working some of the problems would probably work well considering that you have two months to review. Khan Academy also has videos - all of that is free. Honestly' date=' I don't remember which math you decided to use this year, but when you get the text for algebra II, just start right in with that since the first part of the book is generally review of algebra I.

Those videos Belacqua recommended are definitely fun to watch. They don't cover everything, but what they do is done well and easy to remember. I'd suggest watching the geometry one(s) as well. :)[/quote']

I like Khan Academy, they are cool videos and aren't boring. And I will use the geometry videos as well.

This may or may not help you, but I found the following website very helpful as I tried to review algebra so I could help my daughter:

http://www.coolmath.com/algebra/index.html

I love this site! This is what I would use to help me when I got stuck, thanks for showing me again.

I always did well with Schaum's Outlines when I needed to tackle a technical subject quickly. They have several choices for algebra. This looks good:

http://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-College-Algebra-Third/dp/0071635394/ref=pd_sim_b_6

This looks great, is college algebra, algebra 2?

http://www.classzone.com/cz/books/algebra_1_2007_na/get_chapter_group.htm?cin=1&ci=1&rg=quick_reference&at=parents_as_partners&var=parents_as_partners

I have used the worksheets at the above link to review Algebra with kids who needed to test out of it upon entering high school. The worksheets go with a particular text, which I like, but you don't need the book for this. Basically, for each chapter in the book, there is a 2 page worksheet. Ignore the first page entirely. On the second page are sample problems, with the answers. Go through the worksheets for all the chapters - this will give you an idea of what kinds of problems may be covered, and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. THEN you can go on to one of the sources previous posters mentioned, and target your work to the areas where you need review.

I love that idea, so instead of reviewing everything, just target my weak areas and work from there, thanks!!:001_smile:

This looks great, is college algebra, algebra 2?

I think I remember college algebra being both highschool algebra 1 and 2 but all in one semester. They have other algebra options to choose from - elementary algebra, intermediate algebra. You can "look inside" the books to see the table of contents. If you know the scope of what the test will cover, you can choose a book that covers it.

You might also try ALEKS free trail month. Two of my dc used it before a placement test for college. It worked great for us.

Thanks, how many times can you use their free trial?

Generally College Algebra would be Algebra 3.

Regards,

Kareni

What is algebra 3? Algebra 1 and 2 combined?

Generally College Algebra would be Algebra 3.

The Schaum's outline for college algebra starts with very basic stuff - real numbers, properties of operations, exponents, powers, etc. It doesn't even introduce variables until the second chapter, so it seems like it goes all the way back to the beginnings of algebra 1. When I took college algebra, it also started at the beginning, but it progressed more quickly and went much further than the highschool algebra 1 class did.

You might also try ALEKS free trail month. Two of my dc used it before a placement test for college. It worked great for us.

I second this recommendation. Even if you can't use a free trial, it would be worth it to pay for a month or two.

My dd took algebra in 8th grade. We were with a charter school who wouldn't give her credit for high school algebra 1 unless she passed a "challenge" test in 9th grade. So midway through her 9th-grade year, she went through Aleks Algebra 1 in about a month, and passed the challenge test with flying colors.

I need some help reviewing algebra 1 for a state test that is coming up in two months!! Are there any programs/curriculum that I can obtain so that I can get good marks on my test? This is very important and I need to start very soon!!:confused:

My ds worked through Life of Fred Algebra 1 and 2 with the Home Companion as a review before he took his college math placement test (because he didn't take math his senior year). He highly reccomends it.

• 2 weeks later...
My ds worked through Life of Fred Algebra 1 and 2 with the Home Companion as a review before he took his college math placement test (because he didn't take math his senior year). He highly reccomends it.

I am thinking of getting these books, along with geometry as well to supplement TT geometry!

You might want to look at the Algebra Survival Guide. There's also an additional workbook for extra practice.

Have you had a chance to use this yet? I know I am bringing back an old thread of mine, but does anyone have any other ideas like books/online content that covers all of algebra 1 and possibly geometry?

• 2 weeks later...