Menu

Chess players...please help me settle this argument! Smiles!

Chess is won when you have successfully placed your pieces in such a manner that your opponent can not move his/her king without moving into check but the king must also be in check. So, you place his king in check and he has no move to get out of it nor can he capture the piece placing his king in check. You do not physically capture the king. However, often in competitive play, the losing player will place his king down on the board (tip-over) as a sign of concession.

Faith

I also see that Wikipedia answers your question well:

Checkmate (frequently shortened to mate) is a situation in chess (and in other boardgames of the chaturanga family) in which one player's king is threatened with capture (in check) and there is no way to meet that threat. Or, simply put, the king is under direct attack and cannot avoid being captured. Delivering checkmate is the ultimate goal in chess: a player who is checkmated loses the game. In normal chess the king is never actually captured – the game ends as soon as the king is checkmated because checkmate leaves the defensive player with no legal moves.[note 1] In practice, most players resign an inevitably lost game before being checkmated. It is considered bad etiquette to continue playing in a completely hopeless position (Burgess 2000:481).[note 2]

Thanks, everyone!

My son was just playing chess with a friend from down the street...and, the young boy never called "check"...and, in the next move physically took my son's king. My son immediately said, "You never said 'check." And, the other child continued to argue that he didn't have to say it and he won. He told me that's the way he plays all the time. I thought it might be some kind of rule I had never learned. I tried to explain to him that he was not correct...but, to no avail. HA!!

Smiles!

~Holly

Well, that's pretty unsportmanlike and if your son likes chess, I would discourage him from playing it with this boy. No sense picking up bad habits.

There are couple of different sets of chess rules. In some rules, you must say "check" and "courtesy on your queen". In others, this is not required. I haven't played American regulation play in so long that I can't remember what is required but we have observed "check", "courtesy on your queen", and "checkmate" when teaching our children and have emphasized that this is a game for ladies and gentlemen. Grabbing your opponent's king will get your hand smacked lightly as this is absolutely RUDE!

The play is a little different in Eastern Europe and I believe they observe the "En Passant" move which isn't necessarily allowed in all chess tournaments in the U.S.

Maybe you could find a chess partner for your son who has better manners and observes the rules of play.

Faith

Well, that's pretty unsportmanlike and if your son likes chess,

Faith

Not simply unsportsmanlike but against the rules.

If in check a player may not make any move other than those which block the check, capture the threatening piece or move the king out of check. If you son made any other move then the move was illegal and the other player needed to inform your son that he was in check and had to perform one of the three moves mentioned above.

Well, that's pretty unsportmanlike and if your son likes chess, I would discourage him from playing it with this boy. No sense picking up bad habits.

There are couple of different sets of chess rules. In some rules, you must say "check" and "courtesy on your queen". In others, this is not required. I haven't played American regulation play in so long that I can't remember what is required but we have observed "check", "courtesy on your queen", and "checkmate" when teaching our children and have emphasized that this is a game for ladies and gentlemen. Grabbing your opponent's king will get your hand smacked lightly as this is absolutely RUDE!

The play is a little different in Eastern Europe and I believe they observe the "En Passant" move which isn't necessarily allowed in all chess tournaments in the U.S.

Maybe you could find a chess partner for your son who has better manners and observes the rules of play.

Faith

:iagree:

...though I've never heard of "Courtesy on your queen" before. That almost seems overly polite, to me! Why stop there? How about "Courtesy on your rook," or "Courtesy on your bishop?" ;)

Not simply unsportsmanlike but against the rules.

If in check a player may not make any move other than those which block the check, capture the threatening piece or move the king out of check. If you son made any other move then the move was illegal and the other player needed to inform your son that he was in check and had to perform one of the three moves mentioned above.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

My children were taught this by their chess coach in Mexico as well as a chess club in the U.S.

This boy was very rude.

Danielle