Menu

I think my dog has a tick.. does anyone know....

how to identify it for a start, and how to deal with it effectively?

Our dog is a rough-coat GSD and I was just running my hands over her fur as usual (she likes a good massage :001_smile: ) and I came across a lump on her skin. I accidentally knocked some of it off - a bit that seemed rather crusty and came out with some fur attached to it. I wondered if it was a wart at first but what's left there on the skin is more smooth than that. Then when I went to take a closer look it seemed like a small brown/grey thing embedded in her fur. I sorta poked at it and she squeaked at me so it's obviously uncomfortable for her. As she's a rough-coat it's not that easy to see her skin and the fur in this particular area is black.

Can anyone help me out? Or the tick out!!

If you haven't removed it yet, use tweezers and try to gently pull close to the skin so you get the complete tick out. You can clean the area with rubbing alcohol. You can also save the tick in a small jar with a little rubbing alcohol if you need to identify it later.

use tweezers and try to gently pull close to the skin so you get the complete tick out

That - and the pain I'm probably going to cause her - is something I'm really worried about. I read someplace that if you leave the head in you can cause an abscess :eek:

Poor baby, I just hate this and am scared of doing it wrong but I can't leave the wretched thing in her skin. I ought to have called myself Mouse, not Hedgehog.

If you haven't removed it yet, use tweezers and try to gently pull close to the skin so you get the complete tick out. You can clean the area with rubbing alcohol. You can also save the tick in a small jar with a little rubbing alcohol if you need to identify it later.

You also need to be very careful not to squeeze the swollen body of the tick, as if you do that, the toxins inside the tick can be transferred through the tick's mouth into your dog -- and if the tick is carrying any disease, that's not a good thing.

Make sure you use good tweezers, and try to hold your dog's skin taut around the area where the tick is located, and then pull it out. Otherwise, you'll hurt your dog -- it seems like they have a LOT of skin when you're pulling out a tick and trying not to hurt them,) and it will be almost impossible to get the tick out. I have found that pulling the tick straight out, rather than at an angle, seems to get the head out more effectively.

Also, be fairly quick about it. It seems like the more you mess around with the tick, the more it embeds itself in the dog's skin.

If your dog tends to struggle, can you get your husband to help you, so one of you can hold the dog while the other removes the tick?

Cat

PS. Once you pull the tick out, check the tiny hole where its head was, and if it looks pink or red, you probably got it all out. If there's a black dot in the middle, the head may still be in there.

Edited by Catwoman

You can do it. Just start to pull slowly and you will feel it kind of give and removal should be easy. We had a huge infestation when we first moved. Our flea/tick treatment didn't work with the specific ticks in our area (huge cattle ticks). We've had a lot of practice, unfortunately. I have had ones that weren't removed completely and it cleared up o.k. with no problems. Everything should be fine. If someone can hold the dog still for you it will help.

Yep, first of all have someone to help you hold the hair back, it's just easier. Then you can focus on pulling it off with tweezers. Make sure to dispose of it properly.