Menu

Should bike riding cause a person to bleed?

My sister recently started riding her bike for exercise 3 days per week and she said that she has begun bleeding a little on those days. At first it was like light, irregular spotting. But then that stopped and the spotting is now coming from, well, (does the hive have a graceful term for it?), as though she had terrible hemorrhoids, which she doesn't. I said go to the doctor. She said "ask the hive first" :glare: Any ideas here? She says she doesn't feel sick and doesn't have a GYN right now.

My sister recently started riding her bike for exercise 3 days per week and she said that she has begun bleeding a little on those days. At first it was like light, irregular spotting. But then that stopped and the spotting is now coming from, well, (does the hive have a graceful term for it?), as though she had terrible hemorrhoids, which she doesn't. I said go to the doctor. She said "ask the hive first" :glare: Any ideas here? She says she doesn't feel sick and doesn't have a GYN right now.

I vote for a trip to the doctor.

She may want to see the doctor, or if she can find some more experienced bikers, that would help as well. My cousin dated a serious biker for a long time and he would actually change the seat on his bike depending on the terrain. Some seats gave better cushion or support. He also made sure that his seats would shaped in a way to prevent nerve damage to his groin. Apparently if the seat irritated a certain nerve too much, it could cause paralysis of that special man part.

So, knowing your sister is not a man, I would would still think that if she is using the wrong seat for the wrong terrain, she may be bumped or jostled the wrong way and it could be causing something else to happen, or it may not fit her body shape somehow. Maybe a professional bike shop could help her make adjustments to her bike to make it more comfortable?

She may want to see the doctor, or if she can find some more experienced bikers, that would help as well. My cousin dated a serious biker for a long time and he would actually change the seat on his bike depending on the terrain. Some seats gave better cushion or support. He also made sure that his seats would shaped in a way to prevent nerve damage to his groin. Apparently if the seat irritated a certain nerve too much, it could cause paralysis of that special man part.

So, knowing your sister is not a man, I would would still think that if she is using the wrong seat for the wrong terrain, she may be bumped or jostled the wrong way and it could be causing something else to happen, or it may not fit her body shape somehow. Maybe a professional bike shop could help her make adjustments to her bike to make it more comfortable?

The last time we were in a bike shop, the guy told us everyone buys a new seat for their bike these days. He said the manufacturers don't even try to make them comfortable. I have a pretty generic gel cover for mine and it makes a world of difference.

That's a quicker, easier and cheaper fix than the dr, and if it doesn't solve it she can always go to the dr later - and still have a nice comfy seat for her bike.

It could be minor irritation. How frequently did she ride her bike in the past? If she stands to pedal on inclines, then sits down hard, she could be bruising delicate tissue. Tell her to have an experienced cyclist check the height and angle of her bike's seat. If adjusting the seat does not work, a different seat could make a difference. She should also try padded biking shorts or underwear. A good bike shop will carry these.

It could be minor irritation. How frequently did she ride her bike in the past? If she stands to pedal on inclines, then sits down hard, she could be bruising delicate tissue. Tell her to have an experienced cyclist check the height and angle of her bike's seat. If adjusting the seat does not work, a different seat could make a difference. She should also try padded biking shorts or underwear. A good bike shop will carry these.

Ok, here's some updated info. She just started riding after about 10 or 15 years of not having a bike. She also said she probably way overdid it the first couple trips (lots of strenuous hills, etc.) and her period had just ended. She also says now that she may actually have some hemorrhoids, just none of the itching/burning that she thought would have to accompany it. :tongue_smilie:. I think I've convinced her to go to at least a general practitioner for a quick check-up.

Gel bike seats? Sounds nice!

• 10 years later...