Menu

S/O - My new housework philosophy

I have suffered from minor feelings of inadequacy for the last several years because I didn't feel I was doing all I *should* be doing as a SAHM. I mean - June Cleaver always had a clean house, right? But her kids were in school...

However, I have recently developed a new philosophy on housework that has made my life so much easier. I figure that between raising and homeschooling three young kids and running a very small business, I work more than full time.

When I was growing up, my mom worked full time outside of the home, and we did all of our housework on Saturday mornings. Now, if I worked a regular job, no one would expect me to clean the house on weekdays. Therefore, I have decided that other than light cleaning/straightening up, all major housework is left for the weekends when everyone can pitch in together (including dh). Hubby supports this decision and made me feel even better by saying that if I did work outside of the home, the kids would also be out of the home, and no one would be messing it up during the day. In the battle of clean house versus daily life, life wins this one.

This school year is going so much better since I can focus on the kids and school and not feel guilty about the house. :D

Edited by KristenD

Good job!!

Another idea for the weekdays, if it helps you, is a game I played with the kids... the 5 minute bunky game (you have my permission to rename it!)...

We would set the timer for 5 minutes and focus on one room and put things away quickly and stop at the end of the timer. It was amazing how much fun we would have and how 5 minutes here and there in different room kept me from feeling like I'd failed in housekeeping. We called it the 5 minute bunky game because when the timer went off, I'd chase them around in circles trying to pinch their little "bunkys" and they'd giggle like crazy.

We did that at the beginning of last school year and it worked great - until Spring. We have gym meets, baseball games, etc. out of town on the weekends all Spring, so I divided up the house cleaning by 5 days, 5 people and it got done in the mornings before school.

It's great that your dh recognizes how much time your schooling takes!

Several years ago I told my dh either we get a weekly cleaning service or everyone cleans on Saturdays - I can't homeschool AND do laundry, cook, shop as well as clean. This has worked very well since that time.

Be sure to stick to it! It's hard at first to get the routine down. :)