Menu

My new fall schedule (HOD)

Lovedtodeath

I have posted this on the HOD board as well. Okay, I have a specific schedule, but I need to know generally if I have the right times for breaks... help me out here. So far most of our day is breaks and we do very little schooling. icon_lol.gif

55 min school, 5 min break, 35 min school, 30 min break, 60 min school, 10 min break for lunch, story time and poetry during lunch for 25-30 minutes, then science for 15-50 minutes, 20 min break, 30-60 min chores and then freedom!

Is that do-able? I have us starting at 9 and done with school sometime between 12:45 and 1:10.

But wait! That isn't 3 and a half hours plus another 20 minutes for Phonics Road Spelling. Ugh!

Here is my schedule:

9:00 Phonics Road Spelling (20 minutes)

9:20 Dot mapping for vision (10 min)

9:30 Math (25 min)

9:55 break (5 min)

10:00 Reading about History, (10-15) Bible Study, (5-10) History Assignment Box (15-20)

10:35 Recess (30)

11:05 Phonics Road Grammar and Phonics Road Literature/Reading (40)

11:45 Lunch, Storytime, Poetry (35, she can do some reading to me while preparing lunch, I can read to her while she eats, whatever, but there is 10 min for just eating)

12:20 Science (this varies)

12:40 or 1:10 Chores

1:30 or 2 Freedom

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have posted this on the HOD board as well. Okay, I have a specific schedule, but I need to know generally if I have the right times for breaks... help me out here. So far most of our day is breaks and we do very little schooling. icon_lol.gif

55 min school, 5 min break, 35 min school, 30 min break, 60 min school, 10 min break for lunch, story time and poetry during lunch for 25-30 minutes, then science for 15-50 minutes, 20 min break, 30-60 min chores and then freedom!

Is that do-able? I have us starting at 9 and done with school sometime between 12:45 and 1:10.

But wait! That isn't 3 and a half hours plus another 20 minutes for Phonics Road Spelling. Ugh!

Here is my schedule:

9:00 Phonics Road Spelling (20 minutes)

9:20 Dot mapping for vision (10 min)

9:30 Math (25 min)

9:55 break (5 min)

10:00 Reading about History, (10-15) Bible Study, (5-10) History Assignment Box (15-20)

10:35 Recess (30)

11:05 Phonics Road Grammar and Phonics Road Literature/Reading (40)

11:45 Lunch, Storytime, Poetry (35, she can do some reading to me while preparing lunch, I can read to her while she eats, whatever, but there is 10 min for just eating)

12:20 Science (this varies)

12:40 or 1:10 Chores

1:30 or 2 Freedom

What am I doing wrong?

I assume you know when you need breaks so I won't suggest taking them out. However, why not do chores at 10:35 instead of recess (still taking a break from sitting still). Then at least freedom would come 30 min earlier...not sure what your "ideal" is so...

Guest mrsjamiesouth

We are doing 3 HOD programs (LHTH, LHFHG and Preparing) this year, here is what our schedule looks like:

7:30 LHTH with 2yo

8am- breakfast

8:30- chores

9am- Math for both boys while 2yo plays with beads or counting frogs

9:30- Ds10 LA- Ds6- phonics followed by Storytime

1015- Ds10 Reading about History with mom, followed by History Project and Independent History study - Ds6 has break while listening to the Music for Scripture memory then bible study and reading about history

11- ds10 Science Exploration independent and Ds6 Science discovery with mom

1130- Poetry for ds10 and break for ds6

11:45- Rhymes in Motion with ds6 and ds10 reads a book

Everyone outside

12:30 lunch

1pm- 2yo naps and 6yo has quiet time while mom does Bible study with 10yo

I spend about 1 hour of naptime cleaning and then have the last 30-45 minutes free.

I guess I'm not seeing the problem besides too little time to actually eat.

I guess if you're counting the time between 9am and 1:30pm that equals 4 1/2 hours. But not all of that is listed as school or HOD. So if you figure that you have added some time with Phonics Road (not in HOD's time recommendations) and dot mapping as well as breaks that puts you close to normal time.

Here's how I'm seeing it:

55 minutes (spelling, math, dot mapping)

40 minutes (history, project, Bible)

40 minutes (Phonics Road)

35 minutes (poetry, storytime)

20 minutes (science)

---

190 minutes (3 hours 10 minutes)

The rest is not school and so therefore does not get counted toward HOD's recommended time.

Well, I am not that fun normally except for a few math and phonics games, so my kids had so much fun doing HOD that we took 2 hours longer than normal!!

They begged to do more school.

My K student did eventually wander off.

That is good to know. I keep waffling between HOD Preparing and WP Sea and Sky. Could you be more specific as to what they find fun?:D

The rest is not school and so therefore does not get counted toward HOD's recommended time.

Thanks!:001_smile:

First, stop being so hard on yourself. Second, maybe do time slots for example say PR you have a 30 minute slot. Use a timer, start the lesson, do as much without rushing as you can, once the bell rings put it away and move on :D
That is the plan actually!:tongue_smilie:

Could you be more specific as to what they find fun?:D

Well, we've only done two days so far, but they found the hands on activities and the read aloud book fun.

Day one we were supposed to write out on big papers the 7 continents and jump between them, but we don't have enough room to do that indoors safely and it's hot here, so I made them each a small set and had their little stuffed animals jump between them.

Day two the fun activity was science--putting one hand in lard and the other not and seeing which got cold faster. (My daughter just tried one finger! She'll catch lizards but doesn't like to get gooey. Actually, this was a day 3 activity that we moved to day 2 to fit into a 4 day week.)

My daughter is also enjoying, of all things, little $1 workbooks I bought at Target in their $1 section. I bought them one each originally, but today we went back to the store and bought a dozen more. Stickers are apparently very motivational! The workbooks have a little A+ in the upper right hand corner, and there are some matching $1 flashcard sets that I also got a few of today at their request.