Menu

Help putting together a low cost 10th grade curriculum?

My parents have very little money right now, and we need some help putting together some low cost curriculum for tenth grade. I don't like the K12 curriculum for highschool, and I didn't do so good with SOS, Abeka, and Jacobs geometry.

I need help finding curriculum for history, spanish 1&2, bible, photography, journalism, science (possibly), english , and algebra 1 and 2 are pretty much covered, but geometry, not so much.

Is there anything out there that is low cost, like a not so expensive online academy, or just curriculum?

P.S. I CAN'T do science, english, and math online!!!!!! I didn't retain anything from SOS and now I have to repeat a lot of what I took last year. I can watch videos and things like that, but the bulk of the work can't be online for those particular subjects.

Please help, I start school in 2 weeks!

It is wonderful to see teens helping to make decisions and asking for advice on homeschooling. I hope you get some wonderful responses.

My girls have used http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/ for science and love it, they use Apologia and it is free. Mrs Moore makes the class fun and the interaction with other students is fun for them also.

Best of luck!

Have you considered ACE paces or Christian Light Education (CLE)? No online component, but I think they have videos available for science.

ACE Explore the site. A 10th grade set is about $130. Grade 10 math is their geometry set, which, if bought alone, is about $35.00.

CLE Prices are comparable for both curriculums, and both have electives available. But I didn't see photography, journalism or spanish 2 for either of them.

Ava

My son is doing it and loving it.....it is a much more interesting read plus we found it on Amazon and here fairly cheap.....Geography was $25 and US History was $40 - that included the TE and student text plus mapping exercises. He is doing 8/9th together but our history credits are not specific!

We liked Speedy Spanish but it does go to Spanish 2 (sorry) but might be a good start.....

You might think of Saxon or BJU for math.....we have friends who use and like both.....check it out on line and then check for used books!

If I think of anything else - I will let you know. Good luck!

It is wonderful to see teens helping to make decisions and asking for advice on homeschooling. I hope you get some wonderful responses.

:iagree:

My girls have used http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/ for science and love it, they use Apologia and it is free. Mrs Moore makes the class fun and the interaction with other students is fun for them also.

:iagree:

Best of luck!

Virtual Homeschool Group also has other things besides science such as math, language arts, chinese, etc.

For science I'd do Apologia Biology or Chemistry. Most of the experiments are done with things around the house and for the biology you can find the dissections on line. It's about $60. For History and English I'd try Notgrass World History with the literature. It incorporates History, Reading and Writing all in one program so it counts for both History and English. With the literature and test guide it's about $150. You might even be able to find most of the books at your library and what you can't look on Abe.com for cheap ones. For Math I can't speak highly enough about Lial's. It's designed to be taught independently and the book explains concepts very thoroughly. It comes with videos but most people rarely use them. That's how good the book explains the concepts. You can buy an older edition (like 7th or 8th) and a solutions manual for about $30. For Geometry I'd look at MUS. It's not a very in depth course but it would only cost about $90. We tried TT and didn't like it plus it is over $200. You said you wanted to keep the cost low and I think these are good ways to do it. I don't have any suggestions for foreign language, that was one where we just had to swallow the cost. We went with Oklahoma University's German on line program. Very good in my opinion and we had tried 2 other programs before we found that one. It was about $370 for a year.

It was only about a one semester course. I went to the library and got a couple of books, one on digital photography and one on photography in general. I think I found one of those National Geographic books on Photography and there is a small 14 page book on Photography from Rainbow Resources. We also dissected the owners manual. Then we started taking photos, actually we took photos before we started and after we finished studying and put them together in a scrapbook. It was easy to see how our knowledge had helped our photography skills. My kids much more than mine. I think all together it was $12. Don't have any suggestions for the Journalism.

This is going to be a long post!

Best of luck!

I have heard a lot of good about this, and I am going to try it out! Is it really free?

Low Cost Academy

American School

http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

Do you have any experience with this academy? Could you tell me more about it please! Thanks.

Someone else asked a similar question here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203450

Cool, I didn't know that.

My son is doing it and loving it.....it is a much more interesting read plus we found it on Amazon and here fairly cheap.....Geography was $25 and US History was $40 - that included the TE and student text plus mapping exercises. He is doing 8/9th together but our history credits are not specific!

We liked Speedy Spanish but it does go to Spanish 2 (sorry) but might be a good start.....

You might think of Saxon or BJU for math.....we have friends who use and like both.....check it out on line and then check for used books!

If I think of anything else - I will let you know. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, and please let me know if you do!

Virtual Homeschool Group also has other things besides science such as math, language arts, chinese, etc.

Are you serious?! That would make my parents day and mine too. Is it all free?

For science I'd do Apologia Biology or Chemistry. Most of the experiments are done with things around the house and for the biology you can find the dissections on line. It's about $60. For History and English I'd try Notgrass World History with the literature. It incorporates History, Reading and Writing all in one program so it counts for both History and English. With the literature and test guide it's about $150. You might even be able to find most of the books at your library and what you can't look on Abe.com for cheap ones. For Math I can't speak highly enough about Lial's. It's designed to be taught independently and the book explains concepts very thoroughly. It comes with videos but most people rarely use them. That's how good the book explains the concepts. You can buy an older edition (like 7th or 8th) and a solutions manual for about $30. For Geometry I'd look at MUS. It's not a very in depth course but it would only cost about $90. We tried TT and didn't like it plus it is over $200. You said you wanted to keep the cost low and I think these are good ways to do it. I don't have any suggestions for foreign language, that was one where we just had to swallow the cost. We went with Oklahoma University's German on line program. Very good in my opinion and we had tried 2 other programs before we found that one. It was about $370 for a year.

Thank you so much!

It was only about a one semester course. I went to the library and got a couple of books, one on digital photography and one on photography in general. I think I found one of those National Geographic books on Photography and there is a small 14 page book on Photography from Rainbow Resources. We also dissected the owners manual. Then we started taking photos, actually we took photos before we started and after we finished studying and put them together in a scrapbook. It was easy to see how our knowledge had helped our photography skills. My kids much more than mine. I think all together it was $12. Don't have any suggestions for the Journalism.

That's a good idea, I like the sound of that!

Lively Art of Writing is both excellent and extremely cheap!

For English, try LAW for composition and a nice selection of great books for reading/discussion/essay topics.

Great!

Well, it depends on what you consider "low cost" but MFW High School is written to the student and would cover History, Bible, Literature and Writing. Apologia is pretty doable science at home.

What is MFW high scool?

Thanks for all the help everybody!:D

What is low cost?

What is your budget per subject?

Do you want curriculum, spines, or actual books?

Low cost: $200-$250

Per subject: $20-$50

I am looking for full curriculum, and books that are rigorous, yet easy to teach out of. What do you mean by spines? I have never heard of that before.

But I will take different curriculum from all over the place as well. I.E. Sonlight, then BJU, etc. Not those particular ones, but they are just an example.