Menu

swimmer's ear crisis control

any one?

My son is at the beach with another family. They are coming home tomorrow. I don't think they have access to a lot besides a basic drug store. I would say that unless he were just really at physical risk, I am not likely to ask them to find a doctor - they are way down Hatteras.

Anyway, what kind of pain control measures could he take? They are renting a place, so I know they don't have a well stocked house in terms of comfort items, but what might help? Tylenol?

I think since they are coming home tomorrow anyway, it would be a lot to ask. On the other hand, it HURTS. I do have antibiotics for when he gets home, left over from his brother having it. 3 kids, constant swimming, never had swimmer's ear until now, and it's been two kids in a summer.

Everytime we would go to the beach, when we got home I would swab their ears out with a mixture of half alcohol and half white vinegar. Kills any bacteria in there.

This might help but it also could cause it to HURT more. This is what we use to keep swimmers ear away (we have a pool). I hope he feels better soon!

I get horrible recurrent outer ear canal infections because of my ear molds/hearing aids. The only thing that really helps is getting it under control with an antibiotic drops. Advil or Tylenol might take the edge off the pain; they certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I would try the Advil first if he can tolerate ibuprophen as it has some anti-inflammatory benefits as well.

I know I am a bear when my ears hurt! Hope he is feeling better soon!

Motrin really helps with the pain, but without antibiotic drops IME it won't heal.

I always rinse my ears out with pure alcohol every time they get wet, and I pin wet hair behind my ears as well. I tried the vinegar and alcohol mixture, as well as several other recommendations, and the pure alcohol works the best for me--I am very prone to outer ear infections.

I had a doctor help with this several years ago. He recommended the following to prevent swimmer's ear: Before the kids go swimming or shower, put a drop or two of baby oil in their ears. (Oil and water don't mix, so the oil coats and protects the ears.) After swimming use a product called "Swim-EAR" - Ear Drying aid. It's mostly alcohol; it drys the ears and probably kills bacteria and such.

If the ear is already infected, I personally would see an M.D. asap.

Everytime we would go to the beach, when we got home I would swab their ears out with a mixture of half alcohol and half white vinegar. Kills any bacteria in there.

If his ear already hurts, don't do this. It's too late, he has open sores in his ear canal and alcohol and vinegar will burn like crazy.

"Sweet oil" and garlic oil help inner ear infections. I wouldn't put those on swimmer's ear either.

Swimmer's Ear is essentially athletes foot in your ear canal. He could try the hair dryer and totally dry it out. Several times a day. It's possible he could kill off enough of the bacteria for it to quit hurting? Maybe?

He would not tell the hostess what was happening and would not let me call her. His text on the subject said, "Mom, I am not a baby." Okay. Just thought maybe if she knew you needed Tylenol, she wouldn't mind stopping for it.

Kids.

He will be home in a few hours. I will get him started on antibiotics right away. Thank you for the ideas. It's so weird we have had this issue. My children have practically lived at the swimming pool and beach all summer their whole lives, and it's odd we haven't had this until this summer.