Menu

County Fairs anyone?

We do. My kids are getting their artwork and projects ready, as well as cooking and canning a few things. It's fun and even though the premiums are pretty small, it can add up....in the past couple years my oldest daughter has made over $50 a year by entering items.

I've entered a few things myself!

Ours was a few weeks ago and we love entering things. My 7 yo looked at how many ribbons (and $$) her 10 yo sister got and first complained that she entered too many things, then started plotting what she could enter next year. My 10 yo decided on her own to enter some of her poetry (and won 2nds) and I made her enter her Time Travelers Civil War lapbook which won 1st. It's cool when you can just take things they did during the year and enter them! So now I'm supposed to teach them to knit and sew for next year...

My dd won first place (second year in a row) in baked goods! She loves to bake, and we all benefit. Just since Sunday she's made an apple pie, an apple crisp, and sugar cookies. :001_wub: Last year's prize winning entry was White Mountain Bread. This year's was Challah Braids. I don't know where she gets it--I don't bake at all. This is a picture of her slaving away in the kitchen. :001_smile: None of the other kids have wanted to enter, but I think next year we'll make it part of school that they have to enter something--maybe an art project.

post-1206-13535083828362_thumb.jpg

post-1206-13535083828362_thumb.jpg

I love to visit ours, but we don't enter. We live on the wrong side of the street lol. Our county is heavily populated and gets a TON of entries; the county across the street is largely rural. I'm thinking of finding a good 4-H for the kids to join, especially now that we have the chicken coop. Now to actually find one...

We do through 4-H. Ours was last week and all 5 entered at least a few projects. The 2 oldest each qualified to take a project to the State Fair as well. Oldest dd also entered an open class project at the State Fair. I keep thinking I should look into doing it myself, but by the time I help all the kids get their stuff together I'm too tired. LOL