Menu

Reading Eggs, Click N Kids, something else?

mo2

Looking for a fun phonics program to be done on the computer. Dd really enjoys working on the computer and I would like some phonics lessons. Do you have experience with either of these, or is there something else that you would recommend?

Guest lahmeh

Neither of my kids could stand Click N Kids but both loved Headsprout! That's the ONLY reading program they have ever done and are wonderful readers. :D There is usually a discount code somewhere too.

DD enjoys ReadingEggs, but I see it more as a game than as a learning tool. Or if you do want to use it that way, then you'll need to be w/your SO walking them through it. I've found that I have to do some of the levels for DD as she can't manipulate the mouse/keys fast enough (falling bricks or the ant on the treadmill). I don't like that you can fail a level test and still move on.

We are using Reading Egg during summer. We did HOP during the school year and she learned phonics with HOP. We finished 3 books then started Reading Egg. Reading Egg has lots of sight words which is a good compliment to HOP. Reading Egg is fun too! I wouldn't do Reading Egg as the only program though. There is not enough phonics to lay a solid foundation. We have Click N Kids and it is boring. My daughter wouldn't even touch it again. Between Reading Egg, HOP and lots of readers, my daughter is reading much better this summer.

I think there is a 25% off code for Headsprout floating around somewhere...

Are you a facebook person? Check out Headsprout on facebook... (I am one of the last facebook hold-outs, but have read that Headsprout sometimes has discount codes posted on their facebook page.)

It is pricey, but I've been happy with the results.

Maybe you can have your kiddo try the free samples to see if it's a good fit before splurging?