Menu

Cooking in plastic and food steamers?

I have generally been trying to avoid as much plastic as possible for our food because I'm somewhat concerned about leaching. I got rid of plastic storage containers and bought glass (which I love), no plastic cups, no plastic water bottles etc.

I still use plastic sippy cups because I just don't have the $ for the stainless ones. I still use plastic sandwich bags and ziplocs. So I'm not hardcore.

My friend has this food steamer that can double as a rice steamer.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/brandsforkitchen/oster/PRD~174887/Oster+Food+Steamer.jsp

I love it and the veggies taste so good and I would love something to cook rice that I don't have to watch so closely. However, the baskets are made of hard plastic. If leaching concerns you is this something that would bother you? I know different kinds of plastic are more or less problematic but I really don't know which is better and if this is a good idea or should I stick with my stainless steel pots even if stuff gets burned occasionally because my stove has issues(my main burner does red hot high and barely simmer no matter what number heat you select).

So any thoughts on cooking in this kind of plastic?

I won't cook in plastic. There are bamboo & stainless steel steamers & I'd go that route.

About the plastic bottles, I've decided that I'd rather get a Made in USA BHP (ETA: LOL, No, not BHP, BPA. I don't know why I'm thinking of BHP Billiton stock this morning. Price is falling, maybe I should be buying...) - free Nalgene than a "Made in China supposedly stainless steel but who is actually checking" bottle.

Edited by hornblower

If you punch "rice cooker" into the search bar at that link you provided, several options will come up that don't have the rice sitting in plastic. :)

We also love steamed veggies. I just use a little steamer basket in a pot. I doubt it takes any longer than that Oster thingiemabobber.

I agree, we use a stainless steel steamer in a pot, and I would not be comfortable using a plastic steamer. I remember reading that scientists first realized BPA plastic could be a problem when the lab rats died after something containing BPA was applied to the walls of their cages. (Or something like that.) So I do think there's a legitimate concern about what the plastic is off-gassing in addition to the issue of what is in contact with plastic.

If you punch "rice cooker" into the search bar at that link you provided, several options will come up that don't have the rice sitting in plastic. :)

We also love steamed veggies. I just use a little steamer basket in a pot. I doubt it takes any longer than that Oster thingiemabobber.

I know there are lots more options for rice cookers but I can't find if they can double as a veggie steamer. I liked the dual purpose of that one. I have a large pot that has a slotted plate to steam things on. It works well but it's not big enough to feed my crew (it's about 8-9 inches across). It takes about three rounds to cook enough for my crew. So I was looking for something with larger capacity as well.

I guess I just really liked it because I've seen it in action and know it has the capacity to feed my family. But my reservations have held me off from actually buying one. I was just curious what others thought about them. Hopefully I will find something someday that is stainless and affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cooker-Model-Formerly/dp/B000PC3G7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282230819&sr=8-2

It doesn't cook rice as well as the teflon coated interior rice cookers but I'm Chinese so I'm picky about my rice. The rice in the stainless steel interior tends to crust over a bit if left on the warm setting. So as soon as it's finished cooking, I remove it from the element.

• 9 months later...