Menu

9th grade secular Biology

any recommendations?

I was looking at Thinkwell because Homeschool Buyers Co-op presently has the cost for the regular Biology (not AP version) for $82.50. But as I was trying to find info on this forum, it seems it is not a complete program. I would still need to buy a textbook and lab kit from somewhere else. Also, I understand this is a more difficult course for 11th/12th grades? I definitely need something on a lower level. Ds14 is a 9th grader, with his work level being about 8th grade most of the time. He has Aspergers which gives him some disadvantages in school work.

I would prefer an all-in-one program that has a virtual lab kit, if at all possible. I simply cannot imagine us dissecting any animals in my home. We had an opportunity to take a high school Biology course with a homeschool group but my son freaked out at the lab portion. Also, I am trying to avoid Keystone's Biology program for the same reason. Their lab kit includes animals as well.

Does a secular wimpy (meaning no hands-on dissection) Biology course exist?

You ladies are such a wonderful resource! I truly appreciate those of you who have BTDT and can share your experiences.

You could try Kolbe without all the church teaching materials. The labs are all virtual. It's kinda pricey though so I put together my own drawing heavily from sources found on the web. This site was my biggest inspiration: http://homelearninglifestyle.squarespace.com/planning-a-biology-unit/ and I've found all the materials he recommends to be just wonderful. Another great one is: http://bookslinksandmore.blogspot.com/search/label/AP%20BIOLOGY We are using the Castle Heights labs for some hands on work but Froguts (http://dissect.froguts.com/welcome.html) for dissections. I've done dissections in the past with my other boys and I do *not* want to do them again. :lol:

There are so many fantastic resources out there that it'd be impossible to list them all. You are welcome to check out my plans on my blog which contain many of them. I have so many links in our plan that it's easier for us to have a place to go to click on them.

Edited by slr1765

You could try Kolbe without all the church teaching materials.

I've found that Christian science programs integrate God into them because He is the creator. Do they really approach life science without mentioning God except in the church teaching part? Would it still be a complete course?

Thanks for the other links. I'll take a look but I am a 100% failure at pulling a program together on my own. I always have the best of intentions but fall short every single time. :tongue_smilie:

I think it could be done since they use secular materials as well as secular labs. Here's what they have listed:

• Biology by Miller and Levine (2006), Prentice Hall, (T5153)
  • Prentice Hall Biology Virtual Labs CD-ROM (T5153A)
  • Kolbe Academy Biology Answer Key and Online Student Access (T5153B), Optional
  • Kolbe Academy Lab Report Writing Guide, (T5140), Optional

It's anything after that I would be wary of.

You can do a very good biology course WITH lab without doing a single dissection.

Here is the list of labs recommended for AP Bio:

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/members/homepage/34458.html

I don't see an dissections on there (although I might be missing them). (I don't know how difficult it would be to pull off these labs at home.)

Some students are really fascinated by dissections. Others don't want anything to do with them. Dissections also tend to be pricey and smelly. But you can choose to skip them and still have a perfectly acceptable class that isn't wimpy at all.

I just don't have any recommendations for anything published out there.

My Aspie did Oak Meadow Biology last year. It was a good solid course and had no dissections. Most of the labs were actually paper labs (data supplied so all you had to do was the analysis). It was pretty rough at the beginning because the first part of the book was biochemistry and she hadn't had high school chemistry yet. I will make sure my youngest has chemistry BEFORE biology.

I used Miller&Levine Biology with my oldest and hated it. Neither one of us was really able to follow it. It's used for Honors Biology around here.

Oak Meadow Biology was a solid course, but was actually understandable.

It was pretty rough at the beginning because the first part of the book was biochemistry and she hadn't had high school chemistry yet. I will make sure my youngest has chemistry BEFORE biology.

Oh my, I never would have thought of that. I was planning on following the traditional sequence of Biology in 9th grade and Chemistry in 10th. Oak Meadow could be a good fit for him, so I'll heed your advice and schedule Chemistry first. He'd prefer it that way anyway. He hates Life Science.

and there are plenty of virtual labs. I do find the number of videos/lectures overwhelming though and spent a few hours making a schedule for them. Had to get rid of some or we'd be doing this until 2112. My son is only in 8th so I have to be careful not to overload him either ... so far, it's going fine - it's only the first chapter though!

Oh and you don't need a textbook to go along with this ...the videos are the textbooks. You can print out the notes, section by section (annoying) or purchase the whole set (chem notes are $29). So far, we're trying to do without - I'm having my son take notes during the lecture. I do have another chem textbook he can look through for conversion charts, alternative explanations, etc.

Oh and you don't need a textbook to go along with this ...the videos are the textbooks. You can print out the notes, section by section (annoying) or purchase the whole set (chem notes are $29). So far, we're trying to do without - I'm having my son take notes during the lecture. I do have another chem textbook he can look through for conversion charts, alternative explanations, etc.

Hmm.. then maybe I misunderstood what the posts were saying. I thought people were saying the Thinkwell Biology was only lecture and was a good supplement to a textbook program.

There are some good ones for me to consider, and let me say I'm totally excited that I have more than one to choose from! Yay!

The Teaching Company (which is only lectures - except the chem set does have a workbook too) and not Thinkwell. Thinkwell is lectures plus interactive exercises and tests; no textbooks needed.

Hmm... this could be possible too. Oh well, I've got lots of lins in my bookmark folder. :)