Menu

I really don't like that most of my 12yo's friends are 1-2 years older than she is

I don't really have a lot to say on the topic. She has one friend who is 2 years younger. All her other friends are 1-2 years older than she is. She always feels like she has excessive restrictions. They are mostly the same restrictions that her friends had at her age, but they were her age 1-2 years ago and they don't have those same limits now.

Gosh, in our case the opposite it true. Her same age friends are rather silly and self centered, while the ones a couple of years older seem more level headed and other oriented. I much prefer that she spend time with the older girls!

In either case, what really helps is my being intentional in creating or following up on opportunities for her to be with the crowd that is a better influence on her. Maybe you could set up some activities for her to invite the preferred company along to?

Perhaps there's a class or club she could join that would widen her circle of same age friends? FWIW I believe that like mindedness is more important than equal ages.

Edited by AuntieM

I am so lucky that my 13 year old is the oldest in the group. However, the 10 (almost 11) year old just joined middle school and she wants to do everything her sister does and just doesn't seem to understand that a 3 year differnce in age means a difference in what she is allowed to do especially since she is only slightly younger than the youngest of the group.

All of dd's friends are older. It's always been that way. But she understands that our rules aren't like everyone else's anyway and doesn't bug about it too much (like I did when I was her age). I try to do my best, but the bottom line is that she *is* younger. And I explain that patience is a virtue because eventually she'll have the rest of her life to do anything she wants, and the rest of her life is a really, really long time. For the most part, she's okay with that.

She's extremely hormonal right now. I really want her to go ahead and start her period. I think it will help a LOT.

I would like for the drama to end. There really hasn't been much. The biggest thing was actually last year when the other three girls on the street (12yo at the time while my dd was 11yo) were all dropped off at a skating rink 30 minutes away for 4 hours without anybody with them. I didn't allow my dd to go. I would have been fine if one of the older siblings went or if one of the parents was there, but not alone. I had other commitments, so I wasn't able to go myself. I wouldn't be comfortable with it even now that my dd is 12yo, although the other parents don't seem to mind.

The girls aren't bad kids. I don't have any problems with her hanging out with them.

It's going to be difficult when they all get their driver's licenses while she's still working on a learner's permit.