Menu

Trouble deciding on history curriculum.

mystika1

Hi,

I am having trouble deciding on a history curriculum for my 2nd grade daughter. Last year we lightly brushed on Ancient Egypt but I must admit that history is not my favorite subject to teach. I am looking at Mystery of History as it is for K-12, SOTW, or SCM history modules. My ideal history curriculum would be to read a page from the book and have my daughter narrate back to me what was read. She would then add an entry in the timeline book and lastly maybe have a craft to do. I would like history to be about 3 times a week without having to buy a ton of additional materials.

Anyone use the above(or could suggest another) mentioned materials that could tell me if any one of those would fit my ideal history curriculum?

Thanks,

Penny

My two cents... sounds like SOTW would fit very nicely for you. Most of the chapters are divided into subsections. You could easily read aloud a subsection, have her narrate, and the activity guide has everything else you need - maps, coloring pages, activities, additional book suggestions (if you want them), etc.

We began using SOTW in 2nd grade and have loved it! History is not my favorite subject either, but this makes it more interesting. We read the book through the first time and did some of the activities along with narration. We have also listened to the audio version at least twice. It is done in a story type of format which makes it easier to listen.

I need to find something new this year, because my dd says she can't do the ancients again. :001_smile:

Kelly

We just started SOTW1, this sounds like exactly what you're asking for. Read a short chapter, answer a couple of question, a narration, a few hands on activities/crafts to choose from, and a short list of books to read, if you're interested. You really can make it as light or heavy as you want. It's easily adaptable to 1 day a week to 3 days a week!

I'd definitely get the AG, b/c it gives you so much bang for your buck.

I just got mine yesterday and I'm very impressed. We did SOTW1 and 2 without the AG. I don't regret all the time I spent putting together our own activities, but I'm definitely looking forward to having all laid out this year. We'll probably end up doing even more activities this year.