Menu

Can you recommend some fun games for various subjects?

Stacia

My oldest is not so much of a game person, but my younger loves games. We've never done a lot of games (esp. in relation to school work), but I think I'd like to give it a try as something fun for the 3 of us to do a few times a week in our school schedule. I'm looking mainly for board games or card games.

We have some games already, such as:

Math: Muggins Math (Jellybeans & Knock Out); a math card games book called Number Jugglers

Language Arts: Scrabble

Geography: Map Tangle

So, are there any great games out there that are fun & educational? I'd love suggestions for all school subject categories: math, grammar/language arts, science (any topic), history, geography, logic, art, music, Spanish, Latin (beginning level, please, lol), PE, etc....

BTW, my dc are 7yo & almost 10yo (heading into 2nd & 5th in the fall).

Thanks!

great game for spelling. We play Scrambled States card game and I make them each find the state on the map before they get to keep it (otherwise it is a useless card game!). Let's see...oh, they have taken to playing War w/ playing cards. The twist? I make them do addition/subt. or mult. facts as an "extra" in order to keep the set of cards if they have the highest card. (ds.8 practices addition while dd11 and ds9 do mult.). Computer games are a favorite...Carmen Sandiego for geography. We all like Blokus for that "spatial reasoning" practice! Monopoly, Life, etc. all use money and addition skills. Scrabble is great fun... Sounds like you have a good list, too!

This is our list!

I use donimoes the same way that Sue G uses cards. I can require addition, subtraction or mulitplication before dd puts the tile down.

My kids love Sum Swamps by Learning Resources. (might be to young)

Dino Math tracts deals with place value. (might be to young)

Iguana Factor is a multiplication game.

Great States is a great USA geography game.

We just discovered Castle Logix. That is fun for spatial reasoning.

There is tanagrams for math. We got a calendar with a tanagram a day. It is reusable so I just need to protect the magnets from loss.

HTH

We are a game-playing family! Here are a few suggestions:

Math- Shut the Box (it is a dice game involving addition, lots of fun)

We play dice games for math alot. Here's a link to a few of them.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/lessonrepro/lessonplans/grmagam.htm

I sold Discovery Toys for while. We love Wiz Kids (a card game like scattegories and great for vocabulary), Word Flip ( a game combing math with spelling, and you can add in vocabulary practice with it), Unjumble (a game with a math and spelling game included), Quick Call (a card game for categorizing things in different ways), 4 Take Four (a crossword puzzle twist on scrabble where each player has is own board)

We love all the Cranium games. They appeal to all learning & personality styles. We have a game called Planet Quest that has helped us learn a lot about the Solar System.

Amy, 11yo dd, 4yo ds

Our family loves the games from Gamewright, though not all of them are educational. Some of our favorites that do have some educational content are:

Granny Apples (math)

Maya Madness (math)

Loot (math)

In a Pickle (language, sort of)

Scrambled States (U.S. geography)

We also enjoy the card game "Set," which can be played alone or with others.If you go to http://www.setgame.com, you can play the game online and be entered to win your own copy.

-Robin