Menu

We got our beagle!

Apache (until we decide on a new name, we're using his name from the rescue, since he responds to it) is here!

He's definitely the size listed in the Pet Finder ad, 27 pounds, not the 17-18 the rescue lady I spoke with thought he was. He's also not quite as leash and crate trained as I was led to believe -- he pulls really badly on the leash and he's a bit resistant to getting into the crate, whines and barked a little bit after going in last night.

However, he has a sit already (we've clicked and rewarded him multiple times for demonstrating this) and has figured out the zen hand really quickly. He's also remarkably gentle and patient with the kids, even my 16-month-old, and has made all his potty outside like a good boy.

Yay, doggie!

:hurray:

'leash trained' in some circles means 'does not totally freak out when leash is put on/does not try to chew it off with relentless determination/does not drop to the floor and cower in terror of thing on my neck'

It can also mean - 'handler of over 100lbs can usually keep both feet on ground'

:D

many of the hounds & bird dogs really struggle with loose leash walking. They're all why? Why? WHY are you walking so slowly? And also, if you take this string off my neck I can run around in circles & there and here & over there again really fast! And I PWOMISE I'll come back......eventually.:)

Happy training!

Congratulations! I grew up always having beagles. They are the best!

My mom and I rescued a beagle when I was a teen. It was hard when we brought him home, because he had regressed and had to relearn things. But in the end he was the most loving, protective dog we had ever seen. We still feel he was sent as a special blessing to us!

Enjoy!

'leash trained' in some circles means 'does not totally freak out when leash is put on/does not try to chew it off with relentless determination/does not drop to the floor and cower in terror of thing on my neck'

It can also mean - 'handler of over 100lbs can usually keep both feet on ground'

many of the hounds & bird dogs really struggle with loose leash walking. They're all why? Why? WHY are you walking so slowly? And also, if you take this string off my neck I can run around in circles & there and here & over there again really fast! And I PWOMISE I'll come back......eventually.:)

Happy training!

:lol:

Congrats! He sounds wonderful!

Happy training!

He's really a peach of a dog. I was just not expecting a guy that size to be THAT STRONG! It's like walking a steam train! He's got the best personality, though, so I can't be put out by a dog wanting me to get a little more exercise. ;)

Here's a quick question for you, hornblower: Why does Apache pull his bedding out of the crate? When I'm not looking (or he thinks I'm not) he sticks his nose in and ever-so-slooooowly pulls the bedding out. Does he not like the bedding? The crate? Does he think he should be sleeping somewhere else?

Also, he's a canine stair prop. He presses himself against the bottom step all stretched out to sleep. Adorable! I'm totally enamored of this guy.

Congrats!

About the pulling on the leash - my dog did that, too, to the point of choking herself if I'd let her. We bought this collar that goes around the neck and over the nose and WOW! What a difference! It keeps her nose off the ground and up, and it would seem dogs don't like to be lead around by their nose, so she doesn't pull (much - squirrels and rabbits are exceptions;)) because she knows if she does, the collar will tighten around her nose and if she doesn't, it hangs loose and everyone is happy. I would prefer one with more padding on the nose harness, though.

If you're going for a chest harness, make sure it's a front clip.

The back clip ones ENCOURAGE pulling - you use them for tracking exercises for instance where the dog actually is supposed to keep the line taut....

So you want either a Sensation Harness

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

or an Easy Walk

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/collars/easywalk/description

I've got both & I'd say I like them both equally. With a short haired dog like your beagle, you MAY need to pad the buckle that goes under. I find with both designs the buckle is a bit too close to the dog's armpit for my liking. I think it's there for the convenience of the person so it's easier to do up but it's a place I've seen little sores develop over time on serious pullers. It's easy enough to make a padding for it from scrap polar fleece though.

As to the bedding - I have no clue. Dogs are sometimes just plain weird :lol: It could be that he's used to having no bedding? (is he from an outdoor/hunting kennel, do you know? Sometimes it's bare floors & that's what they're used to) It could be that it's a misplaced diggin instinct. It could be that he thinks it's fun.

Does he go into the crate after he's pulled it out or does he lie down on the blankies after he's pulled them out?

If you're going for a chest harness, make sure it's a front clip.

The back clip ones ENCOURAGE pulling - you use them for tracking exercises for instance where the dog actually is supposed to keep the line taut....

So you want either a Sensation Harness

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

or an Easy Walk

http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/collars/easywalk/description

I've got both & I'd say I like them both equally. With a short haired dog like your beagle, you MAY need to pad the buckle that goes under. I find with both designs the buckle is a bit too close to the dog's armpit for my liking. I think it's there for the convenience of the person so it's easier to do up but it's a place I've seen little sores develop over time on serious pullers. It's easy enough to make a padding for it from scrap polar fleece though.

As to the bedding - I have no clue. Dogs are sometimes just plain weird :lol: It could be that he's used to having no bedding? (is he from an outdoor/hunting kennel, do you know? Sometimes it's bare floors & that's what they're used to) It could be that it's a misplaced diggin instinct. It could be that he thinks it's fun.

Does he go into the crate after he's pulled it out or does he lie down on the blankies after he's pulled them out?

Thank you! More great advice. I'll look at the front-clip chest harnesses.

He came from the county human society with no back-story, so he could be a hunting or outdoor beagle. He's been with the rescue for somewhere around 3 months, I think, and has been in a crate since then. He doesn't dig, he doesn't go in, and he doesn't lie down on it -- he just sneakily pulls it out and relocates it. I swear, he's saying, "This is where you put my bed, mom! Really! I'm totes supposed to sleep here!"