Menu

spell read write~don't get it.....

mamamoon

Basically, Spell to Write and Read breaks things down to 30 spelling words and 70 phonograms (letters and letter combinations).

The phonograms are the basic alphabet and then other combos like: sh, th, ee, ou, etc. Each phonogram has certain sounds that it makes from 1-5.

The rules cover pretty much everything and explain all the words in English. There are very few exceptions.

It is a solid logical way to teach things but the program can be a bit cumbersome and you will have to learn it to teach it.

Hope this helps. By the way if you click on my blog and my language arts tag, I have some posts on how I use SWR.:001_smile:

Here's the sample on CBD for Spell to Write and Read (the main book); it should give you a feel for it; there's no student workbook or anything like that.

And here's the sample for the Wise Guide, the second half of the program.

The book Spell to Write and Read gives you a framework for your program. The Wise Guide contains all of the spelling lists.

Edited by Guest
organizing my thoughts :p

what is this all about? i can't seem to find any samples, and i keep hearing you all talk about it.

:confused:

This is the author's website. It is hard to post samples, because they don't make a lot of sense unless you have read the manual (SWR), though I seem to remember the WISE guide has a few samples pages on Christian Book Distributors.

There is a SWR yahoo group, and the author does post there.

Heather

http://bienfait.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/spell-to-write-and-read-swr/

Here's the post I wrote earlier this year about SWR at our house. It might give you a better idea what it is all about. You can use it with "any" age (from 4 to adult, I'd say). It is time intensive, IMO, for the teacher for sure and depending on your child(ren), also sometimes for the student.

Guest vchambers

I am investigating this phonograms thing...and have been looking at writing road to reading. The one consistency I read about the program is the time and intensity. Sort of compared to working out. You hate working out some days, but you love the results.

Has anyone compared the SRW and Writing Road to Reading? Oh, and Explore the Code? I appreciate the comparisons.

I am investigating this phonograms thing...and have been looking at writing road to reading. The one consistency I read about the program is the time and intensity. Sort of compared to working out. You hate working out some days, but you love the results.

Has anyone compared the SRW and Writing Road to Reading? Oh, and Explore the Code? I appreciate the comparisons.

Welcome to the boards! SWR was originally created as a supplement to help homeschooling moms teach WRTR (Spalding). It was called Teaching Reading at Home (TRH) back then. Over time, it became its own program. The programs are very similar. Sanseri changed the order of the Ayers words and made minor changes to a few phonograms. I consider them the same method although Spalding purists would probably disagree.

I originally set out to use WRTR with my oldest after seeing it used at a private school, but couldn't figure out how to implement it in my home. I decided to give SWR a go and haven't looked back. I guess I just needed a bit more hand-holding. There are some on this board who use WRTR successfully, too. I look at SWR as an educational investment for my dc. However, I'm finding out that it does get easier and more efficient over time...thankfully :D

Sorry, I can't give you a fair comparison of Explode the Code since we only used the primers. We did like them a lot, but probably wouldn't use it as anything but a supplement. It's very popular on the board so I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Edited by Dinsfamily

SWR is first a spelling program and second a phonics program. It has the child memorize phonograms and spelling rules and then apply them by analyzing their spelling words with marks ups.

ETC follows a sequence closer to a traditional o/g program, but it is phonics first and spelling second. It doesn't require any memorization.

There is noting wrong with ECT, but if you want a child to master phonics and spelling then SWR will get you there. A child can do ETC and three years later sill can't spell well and is beginning to forget the finer details of sounding out words.

You can use both if you like. It isn't necessary, but ETC can be a nice break from SWR.

Heather

I just watched Wanda's new video today...again...while I'm on vacation (geek alert:)).

Big SWR fan here. It works. Dc enjoy it. I'm getting a fairly good handle on how to teach it. I'm making my own learning log per Wanda's advice. Learn it first myself -- then teach it. I should have done this months ago.

I'm taking Wanda's advanced class in Portland at the end of August. I need to master the basics before I show up with a bunch of mom-teachers who know this material upside-down & backwards. :)

I also use SWR with the WISE Guide. I just wanted to chime in to say that SWR does not take a whole lot of time. I teach my 7th and 11th graders together and the lesson takes 15 - 20 minutes a day. Then I teach my seven year old a seperate lesson. Her lesson takes about the same amount of time if I'm teaching/reviewing phonograms and teaching a few words. If I'm just teaching a few words...then it takes 10 minutes.

SWR requires that the teacher learn the program. It took me two weeks, to read through the program and begin building my notebook. At first, I wasn't sure what I was doing...but I just followed the instructions. I still wasn't sure exactly what I was doing when I began the program with the kids. We chose to begin at the beginning. List A for everyone - starting with words like "at." <grin> We learned together. SWR is definitely a program that you grow into. As you follow the steps, it becomes more and more clear.

I love the flexibility of SWR. I love that there are no graded levels and so a child can just start where he needs to and work through the whole program. I love that it cost me so little for 12 years of instruction.

I was very tempted to jump ship to AAS for a time. (The grass is always greener, blah, blah, blah) I realized that I've always wanted spelling to be easier...both for my son and myself. That's why I went through all the easy curriculum first. Explode the Code, Modern Curriculum Press, Spelling Workout, Sequential Spelling, etc... (After all they worked for so and so...) But every single one of those programs failed my auditory processing challenged child. What he needed was systematic and intensive phonemic/spelling instruction. Once he got that, he began to progress.

He's in the 11th grade now and his last diagnostic showed him at grade level in spelling. Even a few months ago, I thought that he would never be at grade level. So it's been a lesson for me, to pick strong tools and then persevere in their use.

I also use SWR with the WISE Guide. I just wanted to chime in to say that SWR does not take a whole lot of time. I teach my 7th and 11th graders together and the lesson takes 15 - 20 minutes a day. Then I teach my seven year old a seperate lesson. Her lesson takes about the same amount of time if I'm teaching/reviewing phonograms and teaching a few words. If I'm just teaching a few words...then it takes 10 minutes.

SWR requires that the teacher learn the program. It took me two weeks, to read through the program and begin building my notebook. At first, I wasn't sure what I was doing...but I just followed the instructions. I still wasn't sure exactly what I was doing when I began the program with the kids. We chose to begin at the beginning. List A for everyone - starting with words like "at." <grin> We learned together. SWR is definitely a program that you grow into. As you follow the steps, it becomes more and more clear.

I love the flexibility of SWR. I love that there are no graded levels and so a child can just start where he needs to and work through the whole program. I love that it cost me so little for 12 years of instruction.

I was very tempted to jump ship to AAS for a time. (The grass is always greener, blah, blah, blah) I realized that I've always wanted spelling to be easier...both for my son and myself. That's why I went through all the easy curriculum first. Explode the Code, Modern Curriculum Press, Spelling Workout, Sequential Spelling, etc... (After all they worked for so and so...) But every single one of those programs failed my auditory processing challenged child. What he needed was systematic and intensive phonemic/spelling instruction. Once he got that, he began to progress.

He's in the 11th grade now and his last diagnostic showed him at grade level in spelling. Even a few months ago, I thought that he would never be at grade level. So it's been a lesson for me, to pick strong tools and then persevere in their use.

This is great to hear. I think we will be using SWR. My dsd11 has auditory processing issues and I am glad to hear that it worked for another child like this out there. Thanks!

I have learned so much from SWR. Things that I never understood before about our language, spelling and phonics. I know that no matter what program I would choose to use, the things I learned through SWR have been and will forever be invaluable to me. It has made teaching phonics and reading much easier because I understand the rules and why things are the way they are. It is just a very systematic way to teach the fundamentals of spelling, it also explains the whys.

I have learned so much from SWR. Things that I never understood before about our language, spelling and phonics. I know that no matter what program I would choose to use, the things I learned through SWR have been and will forever be invaluable to me. It has made teaching phonics and reading much easier because I understand the rules and why things are the way they are. It is just a very systematic way to teach the fundamentals of spelling, it also explains the whys.

I feel the same way. I also watched The History Of The English Language lecture series by The Teaching Company. It all makes a bit more sense now.