Menu

When to start spelling? For a struggling reader

calledtobehome

My 7yr old 2nd grade science loving son is not very confident in reading and get's frustrated easy. I'm not sure what to do with him????

We are using HOP w/ ETC and it's a slow process. He likes to read easy books like Biscuit/ Bob books etc. If I give him a book like frog and Toad to try and move him along he becomes easily overwhelmed.

Should I add a spelling curriculum or should I just stick with the phonics until he becomes fluent?

Thanks for your help

I'd highly suggest starting spelling. Once he knows the rules of spelling, he'll start to recognize the words as well. We used AAS with dd. She had trouble reading, and problems speaking properly as she wasn't hearing the words right. Once she started with AAS, she started correcting her speech and her reading grew leaps and bounds. We aren't quite done level 1 yet, and she is doing extremely well with her reading, reading beyond what she has learned with the AAS. We also use OPGTR, they work well together.

I'd let him keep reading easy things, that helps build up a child's confidence, speed, and fluency. You could do a book like Frog and Toad together with him, if he really is ready for reading some of those words. I used to "buddy read" with my kids at this age. I'd let them read a sentence or two, and then I'd read a couple of pages. We would go back and forth to move through the story so that they didn't get too discouraged.

You could try something like All About Spelling. It has letter tiles, so he wouldn't have to write to spell (at least not to start), and the segmenting activities and other spelling activities can help with reading. It helped my kids' reading.

Hang in there! Merry :-)

I used SWR for a non-early reader who was at risk for dyslexia (genetic). I found out he could do a lot with SWR before he had the eye-maturity to read along in a flow. He loved learning the cards, the finger hints, the numbering system. We no longer do all that, but when he is writing in his journal or some such thing and asks how do you spell X, I sound it out and give a hint such as "the /ah/ sound is the THIRD sound of this vowel" or "it has 5 letters....what letters do you often double at the end of a word". I sometimes remind him to "think to spell", so the experience has really stuck with us.

Just a thought. I chose not to use it as a main spelling program after age 7.5 and started SWO then, but I'm really glad I entertained, challenged, gave confidence to, and generally fleshed out my slow reader's general understanding of the written word with it.

HTH

I moved my now 8 year old to SWR for the same reasons. He is enjoying the spelling and it seems less stressful. He is getting it, might be the spelling, might be developmental. I backed off all reading for now, as recommended in SWR, so I'm hoping learning these words will help him read more fluently. Check back in a few months :P

Amy

I feel strongly that spelling and reading are so intertwined that I would say start spelling now. I think SWR would be a great option for anyone struggling or just setting a firm foundation in LA. It seems overwhelming to some, but I actually think it's pretty easy once you get going in it. Just makes sense. I like the logic behind it.