Menu

Science minded & Organizers: I need your input

SEE completed Science K-8 plans, a few posts below! I would love input if you feel I need to change something! I changed everything, see the "I give up!" post for the newest plan. sigh.

Fall Quarter: Sept./Oct./Nov. for each year only, questions are below

1st/5th

• Biomes: Deserts and Grasslands

• 1st: Agriculture/5th: 4-H

• Composition of Earth; Types of Rocks & Minerals

• Five Senses

2nd/6th

• Biomes: Polar

• 2nd: Agriculture/6th: 4-H

• Formation of Earth (Volcanoes, Rock Cycle)

• Nutrition & Exercise

3rd/7th

• Biomes: Forests

• 3rd: Agriculture/7th: 4-H

• Shaping of Earth (Tectonics)

• Disease & Illness

4th/8th

• Biomes: Ocean

• Both 4th/8th: 4-H

• Sculpting of Earth (Erosion processes)

• Body Systems

For each year this is only the Fall Quarter, yes it will be a cycle but I will teach to my oldest child (thanks Dawn). Do you think this is possible or too many topics in three months time?

When the children turn 9 they will participate in 4-H until 8th grade, depending on their interest. Some of the topics can be covered quickly each three month span, especially in the younger years but I'm concerned about the older cycle.

Example:

For five senses 1st/5th grade- my first grader will be just learning about the five senses through reading and exploration, whereas I plan for my 5th grader to take a closer look at the construction of the five senses: eye, ear, nose and skin. I would think that the 5th grader would need more time than the 1st grader.

I'm less concerned about covering everything than I am about covering it well. I just don't think I can spend an entire year on 1 subject and changing it every three months or even 6 months sounds a whole lot better. I just need to process this more and bounce it off others to find a solution that will work for us & our goals.

Thanks

How many times per week do you plan to do science? That would obviously make a difference. I think your plan is good. Some topics won't take as long as others, so it should even out. And with the way you have it scheduled, you are spending, what, about three weeks per topic on average? Again, depending on how many days per week (or more specifically hours per week) you do science, I think it should be sufficient to cover those topics in enough depth. Keep in mind, also, that the 5th grader will (most likely) be able to work a little faster and longer than the first grader. There may be more independent work at the higher level also, but I think it is very do-able.

And for what it's worth, I'm having a hard time with the 1-subject-per-year concept myself. :)

I didn't think about that! See, I knew I needed input! Lol. With a first grader it would only be 2 days a week, 20 minutes but a 5th grader's time could be up to 30 minutes daily with assigned reading and projects. Aha! Did you wiggle your nose?

Okay, off to continue developing the other seasons for the years.

sciencebyseasonsK_8.jpg

Sorry about the graphic, this is how I created it, I needed to see the whole thing in order to put it together. Winter is a time where we'll spend a lot of time indoors so it is reserved for our concentrated physical sciences work. I know I didn't mention biology much but we'll cover it within the classification of animals. This is just an overview of topics. Did I miss anything crucial?

We might follow Prentice Hall's Science Explorer for 5th-8th grade but organized the way I have it here. It's just so dry as a text, I'm not sure that is what I want to do. Anyways, enough blabbering...

Okay, any thoughts? Other than "wow, she's nuts"? I've been working on this for a while.

I came back to add, we're studying Deserts in 1st/5th b/c that is when we'll study the Ancients time period, I thought it was appropriate to learn it in the same year. We'll read scientist biographies through our history studies and somewhere in that timeline the kids will start participating in science fairs (competitions).

I get how you're grouping the topics within the seasons. My only thought is that the winter topics you have chosen can be awfully technical. I have found with my daughter that once we have made it through an in-depth chemistry unit we are SO happy to do something less abstract, like biomes or rocks and minerals. Depending on how in-depth you go, chemistry, astronomy, and physics can get really technical, and following them with a more concrete subject can be a welcomed relief. Not to mention the fact that cabin fever and winter doldrums can add to the effect.

And nope, I don't think you're nuts. I love how you plan. Your graphic made me smile; it totally appeals to me.

(And sorry. I don't mean to be dominating this thread. Hopefully some others will respond.)

That's a great point again! Thankfully, since summer is dreadfully hot here in GA, we can exchange the winter/summer topics without skipping a beat. We will be keeping nature journals too. I forgot to mention that. Dominate all you want, those who wish to chime in, will. You won't be able to stop them, lol. ;)

I'm a bit hesitant to chime in...it's so well thought out and comprehensive. Also the level of detail and graphics are amazing.

But to me it seems a bit disconnected. For example, it would make more sense to me to study animal classification all together over a year. So that the differences between the classes are more easily seen. One of the things I disliked about science in elementary school was that our text would have a chapter on weather and then a chapter on plants and then a chapter on fish and they seemed random. I didn't really get the connections between them. (In all honesty, I'm not sure if I would have said that as a kid but looking back I think that's why I found it boring.) I always knew I wanted to be a doctor and that I liked science but I didn't really LOVE science until I got to high school and delved deeper into Biology, then Chemistry, then Physics.

BUT..that's just me. I could easily see how your plan would work really well for someone with different interests or a different learning style or just who is different. You know your kids and what works best for them. As someone who hasn't been around all that long, I have gotten a lot out of your posts and links.

But to me it seems a bit disconnected. For example, it would make more sense to me to study animal classification all together over a year.

I just don't know if *I* could handle doing all animal classfications in a year w/o getting bored and uninspired.

So that the differences between the classes are more easily seen.

We could review what we previously learned, and we're going to make subject posters, which might be a solution. For mammals, we'd make our own version of this poster and when we study other animals, we can put our previously done posters up. My oldest is a visual learner, I'm not sure about my younger one yet.

You brought up a great point and I just realized how much we're going to cover animals outside of those summer months through magazines (Zoobooks, Ranger Rick), literary science read-alouds, nature study, Animal Planet, etc. We'll also be learning about animals through our biome studies which is why I listed one in Fall and one in summer so we can continue it if need be. I'm still thinking about what you said though, thank you for your input! :bigear:

that it did seem disconnected, which is why I liked WTM in the first place. So this is what I did instead, my only concern is spending a whole year on physical science, I know the kids will love all the experiments though.

ScienceK-8.gif

I know around December/January I get antsy. I usually want something to get me enthused again. I started to plan out K again and realized that it doesn't matter. I know we'll cover Seasons & Calendar in-depth, we'll be doing Galloping the Globe and since it isn't within the cycle, I just removed it from the chart.

Now I need help with any holes on this, is three months enough time to spend on invertebrates? At least one month will be spent on insects. I actually feel better about this than doing it the other way and if I get bored, oh well- I'll find something to liven it up.

Jessica,

I really think that since you are so full of love for learning, and because you put so much into your children's education, whatever you plan will be a hit. I'm serious here. I find your chart in itself so inspirational, I will HAVE to put my plan (the one I shared with you) into a similar chart!

Whether you want to mix themes each year is really a personal choice. I think each person designs her own courses/year based on her own tendencies and desires. It may be more enjoyable for your children to mix it up a bit, but really only you can decide what will work the best.

I personally like keeping themes together within a year for many reasons.

1. For my own sanity. It makes better sense to my dispostion. The planning and enacting come easier for me this way.

2. For a certain fluidity that exists -- each topic flows naturally into the nest.

3. To enable comparison and contrast. As you know, we have studied invertebrates this year, and when moving from one phyla to the next, I have highlighted the similarities and differences between them.

4. For review. This comes as naturally as the compare/contrast. Before introducing a new phyla, we review those previously studied, which of course helps commit the information to memory.

5. For financial purposes. I really like adding worksheets, little hands-on activities, coloring and so on. Planning for one theme allows me to better focus in on what my year is lacking and keeps expense down on an annual basis.

But I would encourage you to do what you feel is best -- for you. I find these boards to be a tremendous help when weighing pros and cons, but the ultimate decision is really yours.

I like this plan much better! I still have to be honest and say I don't see the need for major planning for K-4th grade - even as much as I love planning too. I spent a lot of time this year creating a plan for Astronomy around the Apologia book - with supplemental readings, experiments, etc. We have needed so little of it, because I have found that most of what they need to learn in science in these early years we get through our other studies. For example, in history we are doing explorers, and in that study we are covering navigation by the stars, constellations, cycles of the moon, land forms, climates of the various places travelled etc. It is nice to have a checklist of topics to make sure we are covering it all, but I quit worrying about not doing enough - it will get covered eventually! All that to say, love your plan, and I know it helps with the peace of mind to have it, just don't worry too much if it all doesn't get accomplished as deeply as you think it should in the first few years.

that it did seem disconnected, which is why I liked WTM in the first place. So this is what I did instead, my only concern is spending a whole year on physical science, I know the kids will love all the experiments though.

ScienceK-8.gif

I know around December/January I get antsy. I usually want something to get me enthused again. I started to plan out K again and realized that it doesn't matter. I know we'll cover Seasons & Calendar in-depth, we'll be doing Galloping the Globe and since it isn't within the cycle, I just removed it from the chart.

Now I need help with any holes on this, is three months enough time to spend on invertebrates? At least one month will be spent on insects. I actually feel better about this than doing it the other way and if I get bored, oh well- I'll find something to liven it up.

Personally, I like this plan much better. The choppiness of the first one would probably make me skip certain units, but this way you will have a flow. I would try and keep the two kids together as much as possible even at the different stages and just have dd do more. It would also be fun to have her do some things and "teach" them to ds.

I just needed to get my head on straight after considering all the options, we've changed so much in our homeschool lately and science has so many different approaches depending on what you're reading. I blame The Educated Child and Home Learning Year by Year for the smorgasboard (sp?) of topics- but really I just want to use these books for objectives.

There are times I just need someone to put me out of my misery, I've gone round and round about this for too long. Trying to find the 'magical' formula that will address all the new found goals we have to have a living book education with nature studies, etc. Anyways, thank you for humoring me and helping me when it's been possible. I'm sure my kids would thank you too if they only knew just how crazy Mom can be at times. :)

Jessica, you are so funny (the giving up comment, I mean)! I can almost "hear" the thinking going on in your head, with planning, then replanning. I'm the same way, esp. in winter time, with revamping my schedule, my plans, etc.. It's just plain old FUN to change things around and try to find a new and better way of doing things!

I like your new plan better, too. But I am one who sticks to doing one science area per year.

What I see is that you are basically spreading life sciences over two years instead of one, and you've combined chem. and physics into one year. And they are all nicely organized within each year. I'm guessing you put life science over two years because you LOVE those parts of science and want to spend a lot of time on them. That's great! Nothing wrong with that. And your physics and chemistry...nothing wrong with putting both in the same year to accomodate the two years of life sciences.

In our experience, doing chemistry and physics experiments all year long has not been a problem. We've had skipped weeks, gotten bored sometimes, had a 6/7 year old who sometimes couldn't understand the abstract concept - but I'm confident that when she comes across these again, SOMETHING from these experiments will surface in her brain later on.

I'm SURE you'll find stuff to liven things up when you get bored. You're doing a great job!

My only concern would be about 8th grade. Would you be using a text ? My 7th grader used a real science text for the first time this year and it was tough at first, quite a learning curve actually. She loved it though and had no real troubles, so I guess all that nature study paid off.

I personally would not wait until 9th to begin a text with testing, formal labs and lab write-ups, etc. My oldest actually completed only the minimum required traditional science stuff and used CM reading lists after that but my first dd is a science gal and we just won't have the time then to learn the ropes in 9th 'cause it's going to be a tough year:). So 7th and 8th for her will be about transitioning to the more traditional/rigorous approach. Not that we will ever drop nature study, etc...!

Also, we do 4H as a totally separate subject. They love the sheer randomness of it, I think. :)

hth,

georgia

My only concern would be about 8th grade. Would you be using a text ? My 7th grader used a real science text for the first time this year and it was tough at first, quite a learning curve actually. She loved it though and had no real troubles, so I guess all that nature study paid off.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but my son used his first textbook in the 9th grade -- Apologia Biology and did just fine. He then did Chemistry and made an "A."

I personally hold off on textbooks as long as possible -- they're so dull. I find the general and physical to be unnecessary and hodge-podge like.

But, children are different, aren't they?

We'll have some type of textbook on hand, we already have quite a few of the Science Explorer books that I was able to get dirt cheap. It is possible to do labs, essays, research reports and the like without reading a dry text but that is so far ahead, who knows what we'll end up doing. I imagine by 7th and 8th grade there will be "primary" resource reading if I do my job correctly in preparing them for it. The current goal is to have the kids enter dual enrollment in the upper levels, but like I said- there's a lot of time between now and then. ;)

I'm with you, Dawn, unless you can find some interesting textbooks that aren't twaddle--I think the Apologia younger books (Zoology, for example) are excellent...we also enjoyed the "God's Design..." series...and, in 8th grade, we're using Rainbow Science (probably just Physics/Chemistry, since my son is enthralled with chemistry, and we'll study biology next year with Apologia...)--we're using all kinds of additional books (on elements and the periodic table) to supplement and probe deeper...

I personally hold off on textbooks as long as possible -- they're so dull. I find the general and physical to be unnecessary and hodge-podge like.

But, children are different, aren't they?

Oh I agree that every family/child is different, and that's why I said ~I~ would not wait, lol. :001_smile: My dd had never done a complete "textbook" for anything except for a level of R&S Grammar & Singapore Math. She used Apologia Bio and loved it. She feels pretty confident and competent after this year - she knocked out 1/2 of the Apologia (stopped 'cause we are co-oping it next year) and did Lial's BCM - her first texts and first real "grades"!

She's also going to be doing at least one online tutorial this year so I am very glad that she got the practice beforehand. My younger dd - who knows. She is in no hurry to do any books that look schooly or ahem, hard, lol.

I do agree about general and physical science texts; we can cover more in less time using our own methods. And it's much more enjoyable, for me anyway!

georgia