Menu

Anyone combined AAH (All American History) & Sonlight 3 or 4 or Time Travelers CDs?

Jen in DE

Hi,

Has anyone combined All American History with Sonlight 3, Sonlight 4 or the Homeschool in the Woods Time Traveler's Series? My daughter is 11 and dyslexic. We have Sonlight Core 3, but I really wanted a spine to give it more structure for her and just adding in the Sonlight books I feel are best suited for her. I also have the Homeschool in the Woods Time Traveler's CD's and was wondering if anyone had scheduled that with All American History. Sigh. I can never just pick up a curriculum and go with it. I always have to mess with it. I am sitting here surrounded by tons of US history books wondering how I used to be so organized and decisive. Any schedules anyone has would be very helpful. You can also PM or send me an email.

Jen :confused:

I have Core 3 and did plan to use the Time Traveler CDs. My child was 9 though, and after looking at them, I decided we did not need to add to history this year. I also want to point out that for some kids, the TT cds would be a lot of writing. Sonlight *does* have a spine for this--The Landmark History of the American People, and it is a textbook.

I now longer have the cds, but maybe someone else can chime in.

I am also planning on doing AAH this year. Do you have the books yet? It's my understanding there are book suggestions and activities/projects to choose from. I'm hoping some of the book suggestions are Core 3 and 4 books.

Mine are due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll probably be posting again on this thread. :001_smile:

Edited by darlasowders

Yes.

We started Core 3 two years ago. It took us 2 years to finish because I took a 6 month break and because my oldest has Asperger's and hated all the reading.

When I came back to it, I realized that we all did much better with more hands on.

So, I added in TT and it has been a HUGE success! We ended up only reading about half of the SL books.

This year we are doing SL Core 4 "lite" as I am picking and choosing books to fit in with the TT CDs.

So, really, I use the TT as my spine and add in SL books.

Dawn

I will be combining SL 3 with a couple of the TT Cds. We have the colonial cd and the revolutionary cd. I will also be doing some hands on with native americans as soon as I find what I am looking for. I'm not sure how it will play out in actual use, but I'm working on a plan on paper right now...don't have it finished yet. :001_smile:

Just an idea:

What if you just add the crafting part of the TT cd's instead of all the reading that is included? That is what I'm doing this year. Using alot of books and the crafts from the colonial times cd and other craft books. You could just skim over the pages to read to give you background info. on the crafts and explain it to your dc. This way you don't have to print all the pages.

Hope this helps. :001_smile:

I added the Revolutionary War TT cd to Core 3 when we were getting to the last couple of months of the core. We have long since finished core 3, but we are still working on finishing up the TT lapbook. I am only doing the lapbook activities. I added this in because my daughter was dying for more hands on, but it is a lot of extra work and writing at times. I think both of my kids are getting a little tired of it, so I definitely wouldn't buy more than one unless your kids wind up just loving it.

I already bought the Early 19th Century cd to do with core 4, but I will probably wait until sometime in the second half of the year to add it in because I doubt my kids are going to want to start another one right away.

I have been very happy with the lapbook activities, it's just time consuming and it does get a little redundant after awhile.

Lisa