Menu

ok, math moms/moms of seniors...

Which would you do for senior year with ds who wants to be a vet)- (ds used CD pre-cal last year, fwiw)

college algebra at the local cc- $240

or

Math-u-see calculus -$120

The colleges he is interested in require a college algebra and a trig credit.

Not sure what you mean, but perhaps I was vague. He will be required to take college algebra as a college freshman. He will also take trig. Calculus is not required.

ETA: can't you read my mind lol? I was posting and listening to Eureka on TV.

Edited by SusanAR

Susan,

I'm wondering what math your son has had to date. College Algebra plus Trigonometry are usually considered the equivalent of prealculus. If he has already had precalculus, I'd be inclined to have him do Calculus at home. If he has not had precalculus, I'd suggest he do that this year. Has he already taken a placement test at the community college? If not, he should do so. That might help you with your decision making.

Regards,

Kareni

Which would you do for senior year with ds who wants to be a vet)- (ds used CD pre-cal last year, fwiw)

college algebra at the local cc- $240

or

Math-u-see calculus -$120

The colleges he is interested in require a college algebra and a trig credit.

Susan,

I'm wondering what math your son has had to date. College Algebra plus Trigonometry are usually considered the equivalent of prealculus. If he has already had precalculus, I'd be inclined to have him do Calculus at home. If he has not had precalculus, I'd suggest he do that this year. Has he already taken a placement test at the community college? If not, he should do so. That might help you with your decision making.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

He used CD precal last year.:001_smile::001_smile: (I mentioned that in my post) Gee, are you watching Eureka, too;) Just kidding

Susan I'm surprised they even mention college algebra. Years ago anyway, all pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dentistry, etc. students took Calculus their first year of college, unless they had completed that in high school. Calculus I and II were required by the pre-med program and by the medical schools as well. Maybe they're saying that the algebra and trig are required before beginning their pre-med courses? I'd double check on that. I would think that taking college algebra will just be a repeat of what he's already done.

To answer your question of what I'd suggest he do, Calculus would be my choice.

If he's already done pre-calc, he should do Calculus. College Algebra would be a repeat.

Usually, the college requirements are minimums, so if he's done Calculus he'd get out of the college algebra. However, this might only work if he gets college credit for the calculus (ie, if he takes it at the cc) or if he gets a high enough score on the college placement test (if they do placement tests). (And you'd need to check with the college where he wants to go if this is true.)

If he has the option to do calculus at the cc, that's what I'd do. Then he'd have the credit and likely wouldn't need to take the placement test. But I might ask the college he's interested in to be sure they will accept this.

Or he could do the AP calc test, but if he has the cc option, he might find that easier than trying to teach himself. The AP test runs 80 something dollars, so if he does the Math-U-See and the AP test, it will be 200 dollars which is pretty close to what the cc course will be.

Doing calculus would probably make him a more attractive applicant when he applies to college (assuming he does ok). Also, although a lot of undergrad bio programs are tending to only ask for algebra, he may eventually want to get into a school (possibly a graduate school) that requires calculus. It might be nice to have gotten it out of the way early on.

Kareni,

He used CD precal last year.:001_smile::001_smile: (I mentioned that in my post) Gee, are you watching Eureka, too;) Just kidding

Hmm, I see you did mention that! Apparently, I don't even need to be watching Eureka to space out ....

In that event, I'd recommend a placement test and/or going with the Calculus class at home.

Regards,

Kareni

Since I'm here, I'll offer my standard advice...College Algebra/PreCalc (or College Algebra/Trig or whatever titles they use) at the CC would be my choice. You can give him dual enrollment credit on his transcript (if he needs it) for senior year, or not if he doesn't. But doing math at the college at the college pace on topics he already understands pretty well (particularly if he showed mastery with CD Precalc last year) will give him "easy A's" on his college transcript, and give him confidence should he choose to take more college math. Jumping into a college math classroom on new topics, no matter how well prepared you are, isn't always the best plan for a high school student. Even a CC teaches math at a pace and expectation very different from a high school teacher. I think it's wise to "warm up" at the college with material you know pretty well, and perfect your math solution practice, before moving on to the pace and challenge of new material at a college or university.

It sure worked great for my DD, who graduated summa cum laude in mathematics...but only after she started at College Algebra when she was 16. She gained confidence, and made a bundle tutoring math all the way through college. :) Especially tutoring the College Algebra course...which was easier for her to tutor, having taken it there herself.

Since I'm here, I'll offer my standard advice...College Algebra/PreCalc (or College Algebra/Trig or whatever titles they use) at the CC would be my choice. You can give him dual enrollment credit on his transcript (if he needs it) for senior year, or not if he doesn't. But doing math at the college at the college pace on topics he already understands pretty well (particularly if he showed mastery with CD Precalc last year) will give him "easy A's" on his college transcript, and give him confidence should he choose to take more college math. Jumping into a college math classroom on new topics, no matter how well prepared you are, isn't always the best plan for a high school student. Even a CC teaches math at a pace and expectation very different from a high school teacher. I think it's wise to "warm up" at the college with material you know pretty well, and perfect your math solution practice, before moving on to the pace and challenge of new material at a college or university.

It sure worked great for my DD, who graduated summa cum laude in mathematics...but only after she started at College Algebra when she was 16. She gained confidence, and made a bundle tutoring math all the way through college. :) Especially tutoring the College Algebra course...which was easier for her to tutor, having taken it there herself.

:iagree:

We have used the dual enrollment option to have our guys take courses in subjects we knew they would do well in. As juniors that really boosted their confidence so that they were able to spread their wings a bit more in the senior year. In our neck of the woods, dual enrolled students cannot take math courses above college algebra (at least that is what I was told by the head of the math department where my son took college algebra).

But how does that look on college applications for pre-med/pre-vet?

IMO, it would be better to do a Calculus text at home, Saxon has one and I'm sure others do too, and then take Calculus I again when in college if you want an easy math grade. I think this would be more in alignment with his goals. I don't know about now, but years ago veterinary school were even more competitive than medical schools. But I know that at the point you're applying there, they're looking at your college classes, not your high school classes.

I think it's still best to check again with the school, and maybe some veterinary colleges as well, regarding the requirements.