Menu

Tell me about Real science 4 kids, please

hsmom

I was looking at this today. It looks really neat. Now do you have to have all the books to do it? Is it worth the price? I noticed it is kind of pricey. Also it there a supply kit I need to buy or is the stuff easy to get?

Any and all reviews would be awesome. I am looking at this for my 1st grader.

Thank you!:D

I was looking at this today. It looks really neat. Now do you have to have all the books to do it? Is it worth the price? I noticed it is kind of pricey. Also it there a supply kit I need to buy or is the stuff easy to get?

Any and all reviews would be awesome. I am looking at this for my 1st grader.

Thank you!:D

It is pricey. There are a few hard to find items, but I don't remember it being too bad. Doesn't HomeScienceTools carry a kit? (Not sure)

Each book has 10 lessons, which here we can easily do in a day. All the experiments are in the TM, so it is essential. They aren't even mentioned in the student text. The Lab workbook you might get away with if you are fine with the child not recording the experiment or finding your own way of recording it. Look at the author's webiste, Gravitas, and you can view everything page by page to see what you are getting.

Here it wasn't a good fit because we like to do things daily, and there just wasn't enough. I even bought all the KOGS at one point and that didn't work either. First because I thought they would be independent workbooks, and they aren't. The parent needs to help the child because they work with thinking skills above grade level. Two was that I didn't like how that shifted you to only doing about 3 days of actually science over two weeks and the rest of the days were spent relating science to other fields. I would have like to seen that ratio reversed. 2/3 on science and 1/3 relating it to other fields.

That said, if you like to do science a couple times a week, and can afford the program, it might be a good fit. You really will only get 10 weeks of material per level, so generally people do all three books in a year (Biology, Chemistry, Physics). They do have plans to come out with additional books and KOGS so there will be a Chemistry 1 A and a Chemistry 1 B, but it looks slow going. When I was using it about 2 years ago the Chemistry 1 B book was due out in 6 months. I think she had a change of plans because it still isn't out and they are doing all the online programs and study folders.

Heather

We enjoy Real Sci 4 Kids; although, I'd suggest using it for slightly older grades. My children are 6th graders and we've done Pre-Chem, Chem, and this year we'll be doing Physics. I can't say that I really loved the earlier texts or that my kids loved them either. They were fine and did the job, but I wish I'd done something more fun, engaging and exploratory.

That being said, I recently saw Nancy Larson's Science program at a hs convention and wished it had been around when my kids were younger. I believe it's all inclusive (supplies, etc.) and really looks engaging. Here's the link:

http://www.nancylarson.com/index_hs2.html

Just another idea.

hth,

Adrienne

We just started RS4K Pre-Level I Chem this week. I like the text, I don't love that I have to download the lesson plans from the website (not in the TM and not loving the dragging out for 2 wks) and I do like the simplicity of the experiments, but I wish there was more. We received an experiment kit as a gift (one of the big Smithsonian ones) so we're going to do the RS4K every other week and a fun experiment in between. When I finish Chem, we're going to do Health from Abeka and then move onto the Biology Pre-Level I.

They did say at the SEHS Expo last week to expect the Astromony one out before the end of the year, if they really mean it. Also, buy it used!

I like the way Real Science reads. Real life examples, kid friendly. I don't think it is too old for a 1st grader if you use any of the pre-levels.

My only issue has been that it seems to need more. By itself it isn't very comprehensive or fun.

Loved RS4K Chem Pre-Level 1. But it's not a full-year program, if that's what you're looking for. We did it for a chemistry unit in 2nd grade. Love the great pictoral way atoms are depicted!

Level 1 I don't find that great. Level 1 Chem is okay, but still not a full-year program. Level 1 Physics is undernourished and the Biology is downright skimpy. The KOGS are incredibly overpriced especially considering they're a copmlete waste of paper at any price. Example: Art is like chemistry because they both classify things! Art classifies colors; chemistry classifies atoms. Oh, please!!! All the "connections" were stretched gossamer thin. The history one at least made sense, but you can find better "history of chemistry" books for less money. I agree with PP that the "Thinking Skills" book requires thinking that 99% of kids that age will need to be completely hand-held through - my kids found it beyond frustrating (and we do lots of other thinking skills books they do fine with).

Heather, that is what I was wondering. Now it won't work for us, not enough. Thank you for clarifying that.

What are your top picks for science then?

Generally I use God's Design Science, Apologia Elementary and other books we like. I also like Winter Promise Animals and Their Worlds when we did it, and still may do Sky and Sea.

Let me see if I can explain how we are doing science.

For my older kids I am having them follow WTM recommendations, they do experiments and write up the results for me. Then for all I have a RA time each morning. Right now I am reading God's Design Body, one chapter a day (which are short), then I read a different extra book every day. Mondays I do a butterfly, Tuesdays Dinosaurs, Wednesday an Herb and Thursdays we do a Bird. Those we also look up for pictures online.

My kids love botany and animals, so when we finish GD Body I will alternate. It will probably be something like: GD Astronomy, One Small Square Books, GD Weather, Animal Behavior Series, GD Earth, Apologia Botany, Apologia Body, Apologia Zoo 1, GD Chemistry book 1, Apologia Zoo 2, GD Chemistry book 2, Apologia Zoo 3, Apologia Astronomy, ect... We have actually done all the Zoo books and Botany before, but will do them again. I will also continue to keep 4 topical books going, and just change the type of book when one is finished. Wildflowers, trees, an animal books, there are so many topics you can cover that way. My kids just like having something to look up.

It probably doesn't seem like it but I do keep the readings pretty short. I can usually do both Science and History in about 30 mins. It is the little pebbles over a long period of time that get you where you are going.

Heather

Guest gtaunton

HSMOM,

I'm starting with RS4K PL1CHEM for 1st grade and am excited about it! From www.gravitaspublications.com I was able to purchase a 'Dinged and Damaged' TB and WKBK with a coupon for savings. A friend uses it too so hand-me-downs are coming my way.

The lesson plans from the publisher are very helpful to me and show me how to do a book in 20 weeks. However, DD LOVES science so we'll do one chapter a week. Materials needed are from home or the local grocery/mercantile store. I'm also subscribing to the online club at the publisher for the online testing, extra experiments, information from the author, and more helps.

I've read that people use Big Science Experiment books, Backyard Scientists, and other experiment books to supplement RS4K.

Hope this helps...my friends LOVE RS4K (7 yr old twins)..and our HS Counselor with the local school district raves that it is a rich program at a high level yet very friendly for young students...lays a sound foundation.

akmomma

We also love RS4K at our house. I think it's the best science program out there for that age (and science is my thing!) We did the prelevel chem in grade 3 as well as the prelevel bio. We supplemented with several GEMS guides because as people have mentioned, the books are only 10 weeks each. In grade 4 we did the level one books, again doing some GEMS guides in between. RS4K + GEMS is a great combo.

We are RS4K lovers here as well.

I am thankful that my kiddos are constantly studying science in their spare time, so the problem of "not enough science" just doesn't apply in this household.

On the contrary, I am happy to have something short and sweet to do with my children since I am always strapped for time. You know the guilt of not getting around to your science curricula? Well, it doesn't exist w/ RS4K. :D

For the Chemistry 1 level I have a schedule of how to combine it with DK Chemistry and DK Matter. I also scheduled in a lot of extra experiments, though not always coordinating with the topic.

If someone has RS4K and finds it light then they might make it work with the schedule I made. It was too much money to just drop, and my dd needed daily work.

Heather

p.s. If you are not on the RS4K yahoo group you can e-mail me directly for the schedule.

Each book has 10 lessons, which here we can easily do in a day. All the experiments are in the TM, so it is essential. They aren't even mentioned in the student text. The Lab workbook you might get away with if you are fine with the child not recording the experiment or finding your own way of recording it. Look at the author's webiste, Gravitas, and you can view everything page by page to see what you are getting.

Here it wasn't a good fit because we like to do things daily, and there just wasn't enough. I even bought all the KOGS at one point and that didn't work either. First because I thought they would be independent workbooks, and they aren't. The parent needs to help the child because they work with thinking skills above grade level. Two was that I didn't like how that shifted you to only doing about 3 days of actually science over two weeks and the rest of the days were spent relating science to other fields. I would have like to seen that ratio reversed. 2/3 on science and 1/3 relating it to other fields.

That said, if you like to do science a couple times a week, and can afford the program, it might be a good fit. You really will only get 10 weeks of material per level, so generally people do all three books in a year (Biology, Chemistry, Physics). They do have plans to come out with additional books and KOGS so there will be a Chemistry 1 A and a Chemistry 1 B, but it looks slow going. When I was using it about 2 years ago the Chemistry 1 B book was due out in 6 months. I think she had a change of plans because it still isn't out and they are doing all the online programs and study folders.

Heather

Good points.

For the Chemistry 1 level I have a schedule of how to combine it with DK Chemistry and DK Matter. I also scheduled in a lot of extra experiments, though not always coordinating with the topic.

If someone has RS4K and finds it light then they might make it work with the schedule I made. It was too much money to just drop, and my dd needed daily work.

Heather

p.s. If you are not on the RS4K yahoo group you can e-mail me directly for the schedule.

You are so sweet! :)

I have Chem level I and am waiting for Chem level II to arrive. I had been planning to do level I with my 11 yo and II with my 13 year old, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to do both I and II, in sequence with both boys. Any thoughts?

Amy

Heather

I have Chem level I and am waiting for Chem level II to arrive. I had been planning to do level I with my 11 yo and II with my 13 year old, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to do both I and II, in sequence with both boys. Any thoughts?

Amy

Amy,

That is a hard one, probably depends a lot of the child and on your hsing style.

Chemistry II and all the level 2 books expect the child to make up their own labs. I am not really sure what that means, because I haven't used them, I just know that it has been stated and confirmed on the yahoo group. Now one gal also said it wasn't that hard for her ds because he had done Chemistry I and could just do those experiments and take them a bit farther. Given I need my kids to be independent the level II book would be a problem, till my dd was old enough to take change. You might have more time to lead the child through the thinking, which is what the author actually wants to see happen.

I think you would probably learn the most by posting on the yahoo group. The other issue would be the amount of overlap in the material. Is it too much to do it back to back? Given I haven't done the level II book I can't answer that.

Here is the yahoo group.

Heather

Thanks Heather! I will check out the group and see what I can find out. I guess I will know what I am dealing with more when the level II materials arrive! We also have the giant Thames and Kosmos kit, so we'll have that for experiments and perhaps inspiration. I just don't know where we're going to use it--their cautions leave us with no place in our house that actually meets the suggested criteria! LOL!

Amy

Amy,

That is a hard one, probably depends a lot of the child and on your hsing style.

Chemistry II and all the level 2 books expect the child to make up their own labs. I am not really sure what that means, because I haven't used them, I just know that it has been stated and confirmed on the yahoo group. Now one gal also said it wasn't that hard for her ds because he had done Chemistry I and could just do those experiments and take them a bit farther. Given I need my kids to be independent the level II book would be a problem, till my dd was old enough to take change. You might have more time to lead the child through the thinking, which is what the author actually wants to see happen.

I think you would probably learn the most by posting on the yahoo group. The other issue would be the amount of overlap in the material. Is it too much to do it back to back? Given I haven't done the level II book I can't answer that.

Here is the yahoo group.

Heather