Menu

Getting Started with HST

My plan is to learn HST+, and I've heard there is quite a learning curve, esp for those (like me!) who are tech-challenged. Any recommendations for tackling the project of learning the program? Should I use Basic for a while and get used to that program before upgrading to +, or should I dive right in?

My plan is to learn HST+, and I've heard there is quite a learning curve, esp for those (like me!) who are tech-challenged. Any recommendations for tackling the project of learning the program? Should I use Basic for a while and get used to that program before upgrading to +, or should I dive right in?

The basic HST and the Plus are like entirely different programs. Learning how to use Basic to better use Plus is like learning how to ride a horse so you can better drive a car. Really. Much harder, frustrating, and in the end a waste of your time.

As for learning HST+, it's not that hard, lol. I'd start by watching all the videos. After I did that, I posted specific questions on their forums - the moderator answers usually within hours and is very helpful. If you learn well by reading, I've heard the user manual is helpful- for me personally, the videos and forum were more than enough - but I start going cross-eyed reading manuals. :tongue_smilie:

I am har-of-hearing so I can't use the videos but found the user's manual very helpful. I would open HST+ in one window, then open the user's maual in another and switch back and forth as I was working through a new task. I did not read the entire user manual but looked up what ever thing I was trying to do then worked through it.

A tip that someone else gave that I found helpful was to make a "practice" database. I have one that I use to try things out in, trial run a schedule, import lesson plans from others to so I can tweak them to my liking, etc. Once I am satisfied I can import it into my "real" database.

And I agree about the riding a horse/driving a car analogy.

I ordered the trial version and worked on it for several weeks before ordering the full version. There is a very steep learning curve. I was really wanting to have someone right there with me to walk me through it. I ended up using my Mac laptop to view the instruction manual and videos while I practiced with the program on my antique PC desktop. I also downloaded some of the pre-made lesson plans from the HST yahoo groups to really see how they are put together. I am still far from knowing all the ins and outs of it but I do know enough to get the year started.

What also helped me relax is I decided to keep my younger two children using my original paper schedules and not use HST with them at all.

I wish I had thought of making a practice database. I believe mine is a mess.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to figure out HST+ also, and don't WANT to read the user's manual. I want someone to come and show me how it works! [stomps foot and pouts]

What I did was give up on it for the upcoming year, because we would never start school if I tried to get everything into HST before we started. My goal is to figure it out for next year, even if it means reading the manual. Sigh.

:lol:

ETA: Sorry for my complete lack of anything helpful. Just had to share my frustration.