Menu

Where in the oven do you keep a baking stone?

I just got a baking stone, and I've read that it can be kept in the oven all the time. But where does that mean? Would I keep it on that lower rack I hardly ever use? Or would I keep it on the top rack and just put pans directly on it?

It would be on top when I'm baking bread, of course, but what if I'm making, say, a casserole? Could I put the casserole pan directly on the baking stone?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

I keep mine on the lowest rack setting, because I have an element in the bottom of the oven. If you don't have an element there, you can simply put it on the bottom of your oven. Keeping it in all the time makes your oven more efficient too--or so sayeth Alton Brown :D

Really?? I didn't know this! Does it change baking times? Or cause things to brown more on the bottom?

Of course, I have two. What to do with the other???

LOL!

Really?? I didn't know this! Does it change baking times? Or cause things to brown more on the bottom?

Of course, I have two. What to do with the other???

LOL!

I think it's mainly because it absorbs and re-radiates the heat into the oven, so you have fewer 'hot spots' and 'cold spots' throughout the oven. I haven't found that it changes baking times. But it does stay hot/warm for hours after I've turned the oven off.

No advice on how to store the other one. I hate it when I have to pull mine out of the oven for something big like a turkey! :D

Edited by LemonPie

The stone is pretty much the only thing I ever use. If I'm making a cake, or cupcakes/muffins or bread, I'd remove the stone, cook whatever & then put the stone back. I hardly EVER use anything but the stone though--besides a cast iron skillet! :)

Yup. Mine is old, old...like 7 or 8 years and looks all beat up, but it works great. I use the stone for almost everything.

The stone is pretty much the only thing I ever use. If I'm making a cake, or cupcakes/muffins or bread, I'd remove the stone, cook whatever & then put the stone back. I hardly EVER use anything but the stone though--besides a cast iron skillet! :)

So would you remove the stone when baking because it would be too much heat on the bottom of the cake/bread pan?

When you put pans on top of the stone, are they metal? Would it be an accident waiting to happen if I put ceramic or glass on it?

I'd like to leave it in, but I often use both racks when I cook dinner. I usually take it out if I'm not baking bread on it.

When you put pans on top of the stone, are they metal? Would it be an accident waiting to happen if I put ceramic or glass on it?

I'd like to leave it in, but I often use both racks when I cook dinner. I usually take it out if I'm not baking bread on it.

I put all sorts of pans directly on my stone. Glass Pyrex dishes, metal baking sheets and ceramic casserole dishes. No accidents here.

If you have a convection oven, don't leave it on a rack because it prevents the current from flowing properly. I had a repair guy scheduled to come out and tell me what was wrong with my oven, but luckily figured it out on my own before paying $125 and feeling stupid.

Bottom of the oven is fine and that's where I leave mine now.

Barb

Those of you who put your pans on top of the baking stone, do they not scratch the stone up?

Oh, you have NO IDEA how happy this little tidbit of knowledge makes me!

Mine looks well-loved (read: awful), but I didn't think they were supposed to be pretty :D

Barb