Menu

Recommendations for classical hs forums?

Hi, my hope in posting this is that folks here might know of another forum that may be a better fit for me. My ideal site would be "The Well Trained Mind forums - for secular families". Thanks.

You can check out this Yahoo group.

Not to try to talk you in to something you're finding to be a bad fit, but do know that this forum has a number of families who choose/prefer secular materials as well.

You can check out this Yahoo group.

Not to try to talk you in to something you're finding to be a bad fit, but do know that this forum has a number of families who choose/prefer secular materials as well.

I'm one of them. I have a hard time finding Catholic curriculum that follows WTM plan. Because of this I purchase quite a bit of secular materials.

Yoohoo, secular here too. There are many of us, and here I have always felt I could pretty much just be myself without having to be too concerned with holding back. Of course there are threads I avoid.

IN fact I find it more comfortable here than with some of the homeschool groups I mix with IRL. Many times I have been simply presumed to be Christian, wheras here I think there is a large enough mix of people, that people are generally pretty unpresumptive (if thats a word!).

Yoohoo, secular here too. There are many of us, and here I have always felt I could pretty much just be myself without having to be too concerned with holding back. Of course there are threads I avoid.

IN fact I find it more comfortable here than with some of the homeschool groups I mix with IRL. Many times I have been simply presumed to be Christian, wheras here I think there is a large enough mix of people, that people are generally pretty unpresumptive (if thats a word!).

Not to hijack the thread, but it's funny you mention groups IRL and the presumptions people make. We joined a hs co-op this year. It was our first opportunity to try it because previously, Fridays (when the group meets) were locked up with farmers' market preparation for us, making any other activities that day all but impossible. Now that I'm no longer doing that, the Friday group became an option. But...I almost didn't join because I presumed the group would not be a good match for my spritual-but-not-religious ways of thinking. Fortunately, I gave it a shot, because I've found a wonderfully pleasant mix of views in our group, and a general feeling of mutual respect and tolerance all the way around.

Likewise, many years ago, I was once a co-leader for a group of homeschoolers trying to establish a weekly co-op. We actively encouraged participation from any interested family and, I felt, we were an easy group in which to mix. But, after our attempts failed due to lack of participation, I learned that we were considered "the hippy group" and that for that reason, a number of families wouldn't consider joining.

So self defeating and limiting, these assumptions we make. :o

I believe there are yahoo groups dedicated to WTM secular. Would that help?

and no where near the knowledge on the curriculum. If you stick to the curriculum boards here, there is less "personal" of any type. And I've never *ever* gotten an unpleasant reply from my queries on how secular or not something is. Actually, I think you are more likely to get good info because if you are wondering if X book has a religious message, then you'll almost always find someone who has it in their paws and can look for you.

HTH

and no where near the knowledge on the curriculum. If you stick to the curriculum boards here, there is less "personal" of any type. And I've never *ever* gotten an unpleasant reply from my queries on how secular or not something is. Actually, I think you are more likely to get good info because if you are wondering if X book has a religious message, then you'll almost always find someone who has it in their paws and can look for you.

HTH

Its true, the sheer number of people here makes it more valuable to me than a secular group where no one talks.

There is a CM yahoo secular group though and that is very chatty. I am new to it, but it seems very active.