Menu

What exactly is College Algebra and how does one prepare for it?

I'm back in college for the first time in over 20 years.

It looks like I'll need to take College Algebra next semester. I don't really want to take (and pay for) developmental classes, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how I can prepare myself for this class over the next few weeks.

I only took algebra 1 and geometry in high school, and that was a long time ago.

Is it possible to self-prepare, or should I suck it up and take the developmental classes?

OH! And I need something easy to follow. I'm not a math person in any way, shape, or form.

this is from a yahoo group I'm on:

Watch me say "typically" and "usually" often because there will obviously be variants among colleges :)

> 1. What is the difference between high school algebra and college

> algebra?

There are typically three years of algebra, the first two of which are traditionally taken in high school. High schools call them Algebra I&II, colleges consider them remedial classes and entitle them something like Elementary and Intermediate Algebra.

The third year (or semester) of algebra can be a stand-alone class called College Algebra or combined with trig to called Pre-Calculus. All three algebras cover different materials, but college algebra is usually more focused on advanced graph manipulation and analysis in preparation for calculus.

>

> 2. Is college algebra necessary for my child to succeed in advanced

> math in college?

>

Do you mean advanced math like calculus and Diff E, or advanced math like Topology and Discrete? College algebra/Precalc is usually required before Calculus in order to prepare students for the analysis of Calculus. The formal class may not be necessary, but the skills are ever so helpful. Every pre-req in math builds analysis skills for the next level (provided you are not the one that can already do it out of the womb).

> 3. If they place out of it, will pre-calculus be too difficult for

> them?

Again, pre-calc is College Algebra and Trig combined in one class over one semester. If they tested out of College algebra, they would still have to take trig. If you are worried that pre-calc would be too much, they could take College Algebra one semester and Trig the second semester.

>

> 4. Will taking the CLEP exam place them out of college algebra?

>

Taking the CLEP exam for C.A. will prove they have the skills for that class. Whether or not the college accepts it and places them out of it is up to the college.

HTH

College Algebra is Algebra 3. It is the first semester of a Pre-Calc course.

To prepare you need to work through an Algebra 2 program.

One thought is to use ALEKS as it would help you fill in your weak areas/gaps.

Another thought would be to use a combo text like Lials 'Introductory and Intermediate Algebra' (the word AND is important in the description). This text is NOT recommended for high school students--but it will offer you a review of Algebra 1 integrated with Algebra 2.

If you are a person who learns better from videos, then you can take any good Algebra 2 text then match the lessons up with some of the free online math tutorials such as the ones made by Kahn or the 'coolmathguy' (two of my favorites).

Personally I would take the placement test and take one of the developmental classes. This would pace you and make sure you were prepared for success with College Algebra.

HTH

Jann

Thank you ladies! This would explain why it's been impossible for my ds who's math challenged to get past the review section of his Lial's College Algebra book this year, after barely getting anywhere with the introductory algebra the year before! He's probably gotten farther than we know! :lol: He did learn a lot!

At our cc, the non-credit math course (remedial) is Saxon.

Have you taken your placement test? Depending your your score it where they'll let you place anyway. Dd#1 placed barely into college level & took Statistics, Interm. Alg then College Alg. I thought of Intermediate as Alg II for college credit.

At our cc, the non-credit math course (remedial) is Saxon.

Have you taken your placement test? Depending your your score it where they'll let you place anyway. Dd#1 placed barely into college level & took Statistics, Interm. Alg then College Alg. I thought of Intermediate as Alg II for college credit.

Well, I took intermediate algebra back in 1990. It's community college so they don't require you to retake the placement test once it's done.

I actually didn't think about it until just now, but maybe I should ask to re-take the placement test. That will give me an accurate look at where I am mathematically.

But the thing is . . . this College Algebra class is the only thing standing between me and my advanced level classes. I'm tired of taking history and government and other "general education" courses. I'm anxious to get to the "good stuff," LOL.

I was hoping there was a way for me to get prepared to take it. I don't mind working hard . . . it's just that I'm not sure if I can do it. I'm REALLY math phobic. SERIOUSLY math phobic.