Menu

Self-Sufficiency

This family is amazing. Wish I could do that.

http://www.snotr.com/video/4821

Love it! I wish they would've talked more about what exactly they eat beyond the fruits, veggies an eggs. I saw a goat, too -- so they probably have milk and cheese, maybe meat, with them? (As well as meat from the chickens). Very cool.

That is great! It wouldn't work so well for someone like me, who lives where there's a short growing season, but it's inspiring to think of how much is actually possible on an average size lot. I started a small veggie garden this summer & I love going out & "picking" a fresh salad!

Wow - very cool! I wonder how they got around the zoning to be able to keep chickens and goats in town?

Our city has an ordinance specifically allowing chickens in the city limits; four per lot. I know Seattle does too. I doubt there's one specifically allowing goats, but I don't think there's one prohibiting it either (the main pet ordinance just speaks of pets that aren't a nuisance or something like that -- very vague -- so if no one knew the goat(s) were there, it might be possible).

Our city has an ordinance specifically allowing chickens in the city limits; four per lot. I know Seattle does too. I doubt there's one specifically allowing goats, but I don't think there's one prohibiting it either (the main pet ordinance just speaks of pets that aren't a nuisance or something like that -- very vague -- so if no one knew the goat(s) were there, it might be possible).

I didn't know that. We just bought the 2 acres behind our lot because we want to grow our own food, and build a shop for dh's work. That family was so inspirational! I really want to do what they did! The lot we bought is zoned Transitional Agricultural, and I believe we could even put horses or cows on it - but we are in suburbia, so I don't know what the neighbors would think, tbh. I showed dh that video and he was inspired by it, too. But we both agree we need our kids to leave sometime before they're 30, lol.

We're allowed 8 female chooks here, in the city (Australia). No roosters though. I would love a goat! No cloven animals allowed , unfortunately.

We rent. This morning dh took the kids to get dd16 a car at an auction, so I used my unexpected freedom to make a 2nd vegie garden bed with limestone blocks from a building sits bin across the road. I am exhausted, but very happy with myself.

I am finding my personal income far lower than it used to be. But there is something very satisfying about saving money, growing your own vegies (I used compost I made instead of spending $$$ on bought stuff), eggs from chooks etc. But it often is quite expensive around here- to buy chook food, to buy manure or fertliser.Our soils are sand...they need a fair bit of help.