Menu

How much to pay neighbor boy taking watering outside plants/garden?

How much to pay neighbor boy for watering garden for 7 days?  

1. 1. How much to pay neighbor boy for watering garden for 7 days?

• $5
    • $10
    • $15
    • $20
    • $25
    • $30
    • $35
    • Other

I am wondering how much to pay a 10-year-old boy to water our vegetable garden (small, about 4x8) while we're on vacation for 7 days. The hose is right next to the garden, so he'll water that and then fill the watering can and walk around front to water a potted plant. He lives right across the street and the whole thing should take him 10 minutes tops.

I have asked a few people and have been surprised at how much some people think I need to pay, so thought a poll was in order to get more opinions! I certainly don't want the kid to feel cheated but meanwhile my own 10-year-old son will find out what we've paid and so I'm uncomfortable with a large amount. I don't want my son to expect something similar from a neighbor.

This is more work than just gathering newspaper/mail, but not as much as going into the home to care for plants/pets.

I wasn't sure if the amounts were per day or for the week. I would pay $5/day. And have paid that amount, and had the child be willing to do it again. If you have a large garden, and it requires more than an hour a day, I would pay more. My son gets paid $5 each time he goes and lets the neighbors dogs out (2-3 times a week). He spends 15-20 minutes there. Less if the weather allows him to leave them out for the rest of the day. The owners (and I agree) feel it's worth it as he is guaranteeing he will be available during a set time period (anytime within a two hour period).

I would think $7-10 would be appropriate. If you paid him $1/day, then he'd get $7 and that would be a pay rate of $6/hr. If you paid him $10 for the week, then he'd be getting $8.57/hr. I'd be worried about paying less than $1/day because I can see him thinking that it may not be worth his while to do it for less than a $1/visit. Minimum wage is $7.25/hr, so I think this is a good pay range.

Since he won't be responsible for a key at all, I would probably lean towards the $7 amount.

We pay $5/day for our piggies to be taken care of, but that's more involved and requires 2 trips/day. The person caring for them has to switch them to their temporary cage, then roll up their bedding, shake it out outside, and take it to the garage. Then she has to put down new bedding, get fresh veggies from the fridge, and set up the cage again (replace the bedding and ramp, clean out and replace the water, clean out and replace the food bowl, and refill the hay rack), and put the piggies back in. In the evening, she has to go back just to replace the pellets, water, veggies, and hay.

Oops.... I missed the "10 minutes tops" when I responded. Forget my "over an hour" comment. I'd still say $5/day. That's my standard for almost anything up to an hour. You could have him check your mail, bring in the newspaper, etc to add a little time. Much safer than telling the post office you'll be gone and stopping your mail.

I said $5/day and I said this because it might give him more of an idea of how well to care for them. $1/day can lead some people to do a poor job. You get what you pay for is my saying :D

:iagree:Part of it is recognizing how appreciative you are that someone is really appreciated, even for a small job.

I would pay at least $2-$3 per day for that. You say it would take 10 minutes tops, but maybe for a 10 year old boy it would be a bit longer, and I'd want to compensate him for that. Also, I think anything less than that wouldn't be taken seriously. $1 a day doesn't add up to much, even for a 10 year old. As another poster said "you get what you pay for." So, I'd try to pay an amount that signifies what kind of care and responsibility I would expect, and also signifies the respect I would try to show to the person doing the job.

:iagree:Part of it is recognizing how appreciative you are that someone is really appreciated, even for a small job.

:iagree: I'm also thinking that this is an opportunity to help foster a sense of work ethic in someone. If they feel their work was valued, they will have a more positive feeling about doing good work in the future.