Menu

Funniest scene I ever saw on TV (Lost!), and help me pick....

So after hearing so many rave reviews about "Lost," my husband and I finally got around to starting to watch it a while back (it's available to "play now" on Netflix).

We are currently pretty early into Season 5.

Last night we watched the scene where Hurley was heating up a Hot Pocket or something in the microwave. Ben showed up in his kitchen and said, "Hello, Hurley," startling Hurley who screamed like a girl, turned and FLUNG his Hot Pocket at Ben. He missed. Ben's expression was priceless.

My husband and I about died laughing. We rewatched it like four or five times. Maybe I have a stupid sense of humor, but that was like the funniest freakin thing I've ever seen.

I'm dying to know what the outtakes were like on that one... surely they couldn't have done that scene with a straight face at first!

Anyway!

Being as we're going to be finishing up "Lost" pretty soon (since we watch like an episode or two each night!), I am starting to think about what TV series we should start watching next, via Netflix.

Some of our favorite television series in the past were:

Oz

The Sopranos

Queer As Folk

Six Feet Under

Prison Break

Lost

Day Break (I was so disappointed when they canceled that so early on!)

Law & Order SVU

Fringe

I enjoyed The 4400, as well as Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. My husband, not so much when it came to those.

So with that said, any recommendations for what series we should start watching together next?

Some I'm considering are Nip/Tuck, Dead Like Me, Big Love, Heroes, Dexter, Rescue Me, and Weeds. But I'm open to other suggestions, too. So what's my next Must-See-Series? :)

Edited by NanceXToo

So after hearing so many rave reviews about "Lost," my husband and I finally got around to starting to watch it a while back (it's available to "play now" on Netflix).

We are currently pretty early into Season 5.

Last night we watched the scene where Hurley was heating up a Hot Pocket or something in the microwave. Ben showed up in his kitchen and said, "Hello, Hurley," startling Hurley who screamed like a girl, turned and FLUNG his Hot Pocket at Ben. He missed. Ben's expression was priceless.

My husband and I about died laughing. We rewatched it like four or five times. Maybe I have a stupid sense of humor, but that was like the funniest freakin thing I've ever seen.

I'm dying to know what the outtakes were like on that one... surely they couldn't have done that scene with a straight face at first!

Anyway!

Being as we're going to be finishing up "Lost" pretty soon (since we watch like an episode or two each night!), I am starting to think about what TV series we should start watching next, via Netflix.

Some of our favorite television series in the past were:

Oz

The Sopranos

Queer As Folk

Six Feet Under

Prison Break

Lost

Day Break (I was so disappointed when they canceled that so early on!)

Law & Order SVU

I enjoyed The 4400, as well as Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. My husband, not so much when it came to those.

So with that said, any recommendations for what series we should start watching together next?

Some I'm considering are Nip/Tuck, Dead Like Me, Big Love, Heroes, Dexter, Rescue Me, and Weeds. But I'm open to other suggestions, too. So what's my next Must-See-Series? :)

Given your tastes, you might enjoy Nip/Tuck, Dexter, and Rescue Me -- I can't speak to the others. I've had Fringe recommended to me, but I haven't seen it yet. If you haven't seen the X-Files, I'll recommend that one.

BigMamaBird,

Oh, yes, I liked that candy bar scene too! LOL.

CharlesWallace,

I can't believe I forgot Fringe! We do already watch that one and very much like it! I just edited my original post to add that as one of the ones we already watch and enjoy. I never did watch X-Files, though, and I'm not sure why... I probably would like it!

We seem to have similar tastes in TV shows, so I would recommend Dexter, Big Love and The Wire. The first season of Weeds was really good. I think if went downhill after that. I have also really enjoyed Entourage, Damages and The Closer. And if you like real-life drama, The First 48.

We are still in mourning for Lost at my house. :001_smile:

I really enjoyed Dead Like Me. Unfortunately it only lasted two seasons. I guess there is also a movie, but it isn't on Netflix currently.

I enjoyed the first season of Weeds, but haven't had a chance to watch much of the second season yet. It's definitely an after the kids are in bed kind of show. It was a cable show and contains some very adult content.

There are some other shows I would suggest based on what you have listed, but I haven't seen them show up on Netflix yet.

CharlesWallace,

I can't believe I forgot Fringe! We do already watch that one and very much like it! I just edited my original post to add that as one of the ones we already watch and enjoy. I never did watch X-Files, though, and I'm not sure why... I probably would like it!

I can't believe I forgot Fringe as well! It's not streaming on Netflix, but it is viewable on Fox.com and Hulu.

My favorite Hurley scenes were during the episode with all the references to The Empire Strikes Back... I love Hurley and miss Lost, too :(

If you like LOST and Fringe, you might very well enjoy some Joss Whedon stuff. To get a quick taste you could try Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which is only 40 minutes long and available on Netflix. If you like that, try Firefly and Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (in that order. Buffy's my least favorite).

Oh, and you could also try Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls, both are pretty good. I love Pushing Daisies and it's narrated by the guy who reads the Harry Potter audio books!

Thanks for all these suggestions! I'm definitely holding on to them and looking into them. There were some i never heard of that sound good!

portland_hill, I forgot about True Blood- I've never seen it yet but it's also on my list of things I know I eventually want to watch, because I've read and liked all the books! :D

We like a lot of the same stuff as you. We've enjoyed:

Firefly

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared

Battlestar Galactica

Big Love

Mad Men

...and we're currently tearing through Friday Night Lights

looking back, I'm not sure there's much consistency there as far as genre, tone, etc., but there you have it!