Menu

What science for USAFA bound student?

that's his goal anyway. I was going to start him in biology for 9th grade, but now I'm wondering if Physical Science, then on to Physics wouldn't be a better idea?

I want him to have more math and science credits than what is required. He's going to be starting 9th grade with Alg. II, so help me line up what sciences he should do. TIA

In the dark ages, when my sister went to USAFA, she had had

9th - Biology

10th - Earth Science

11th - Chemistry

12th - Physics (algebra based) and AP Chemistry

When she got there, she had to take chemistry again and it was the same book!

AP Physics wasn't available in our school but would probably have helped in all those engineering courses.

FWIW, I strongly recommend calculus and statistics before he gets there. USMA used Freshman math to weed out the boys from the men!

hey, Becky!

Have you talked to the AFA? They probably have a homeschool liason admissions person--the Navy does, and we asked him all about what to do for high school. It was great advice, from what outside activities to do, to what courses to take, to what to do about recommendations and letters.

More and more homeschooled kids are getting accepted into the academies--so they seem to be pretty on top of how to advise. They probably have a toll-free number, or you can probably leave them a message or email and they will get back to you.

Good Luck! Takes someone special to help our country like that. Congrats on raisin' him right! lol

hey, Becky!

Have you talked to the AFA? They probably have a homeschool liason admissions person--the Navy does, and we asked him all about what to do for high school. It was great advice, from what outside activities to do, to what courses to take, to what to do about recommendations and letters.

More and more homeschooled kids are getting accepted into the academies--so they seem to be pretty on top of how to advise. They probably have a toll-free number, or you can probably leave them a message or email and they will get back to you.

Good Luck! Takes someone special to help our country like that. Congrats on raisin' him right! lol

he's almost 14, is it too early to contact them?

They won't open a file for him yet but they can give you the name of the local liaison officer (who can answer all questions.) My sister is the liaison officer in NE Ohio. I know she would be happy to answer questions from a 9th grader.

USMA has a brochure for younger students that outlines what they should do to prepare - USAFA probably does too.

The first one is arriving today from Amazon!!

The second one, no I hadn't seen or thought of it, so thank you!!

I also purchased To Be a U.S. Air Force Pilot

http://www.amazon.com/Be-U-S-Air-Force-Pilot/dp/0760317917/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208188706&sr=1-1

and he's already working on his physical fitness test and had already exceeded the push-ups requirement. He's working so hard, I can hardly believe it's my son!

I'm confused though as to why he would need a ROTC scholarship is the USAFA is free? Can you tell me?

and he's already working on his physical fitness test and had already exceeded the push-ups requirement. He's working so hard, I can hardly believe it's my son!

I'm confused though as to why he would need a ROTC scholarship is the USAFA is free? Can you tell me?

Since USAFA is so competitive many people apply for ROTC as a back-up. Dh earned his pilot slot through AFROTC.

Also, I'm sure you already realize this, but USAFA is at quite an altitude so your ds needs to be in better than great shape to make up for that.

How exciting that he's working so hard to realize his goal. You must be so proud!

Cinder

Since USAFA is so competitive many people apply for ROTC as a back-up. Dh earned his pilot slot through AFROTC.

Also, I'm sure you already realize this, but USAFA is at quite an altitude so your ds needs to be in better than great shape to make up for that.

How exciting that he's working so hard to realize his goal. You must be so proud!

Cinder

Cinder, I don't think I ever would have thought of the altitude. I'll be sure to tell him that.

On the ROTC thing--as the academies are looking for someone who wants to be an OFFICER over everything else, pilot, Marine, etc. They will be asking about where you applied to ROTC. And if you didn't, why not?

And btw--an academy education is NOT "free"--they are writing a check for many years of their lives, up to and possibly INCLUDING their life!

Excellent points! The commissioning oath says, "I (state your name), having been appointed an officer in the United States Air Force, do solemnly swear . . . " (emphasis mine)

My first job as a young AF officer was at a pilot training base where I coordinated paperwork for those who didn't make it through pilot training. The end of pilot training was not the end of their AF career. It was expected that they would continue to serve as an officer but in another capacity.

• 3 months later...

Dredging this up from the past if I may.

DS just expressed serious interest in USAFA (he mentioned this before but now he is serious...and proactive). Yahoo.

I've been reading through quite a few posts, spoken to our local CAP person - he starts Tuesday - and still have a question.

I was told by the CAP contact if we were pursuing CAP we would not need to be involved with JROTC.

Is this true? Looks like from earlier posts ROTC is not something we should discount.

Any help would be appreciated.

JROTC and ROTC are two different animals.

For minors, CAP and JROTC can be pretty similar. A lot depends on the local leadership. Ds joined CAP here in Feb, has had two "introductory" flights and been to Encampment. The unit does a lot of Search and Rescue, so he will be going an a training exercise for that this month too. Other units don't get to do S & R, so they do more "urban friendly" activities, like Drill Team.

JROTC also differs greatly from unit to unit. At my high school (30 years ago), JROTC was what kids took who failed everything else. I don't believe JROTC gets flight training. I know better units exist but that was my experience.

Both introduce kids to the military, uniforms, discipline, etc.

Neither is a guaratee to get into an academy but it can't hurt. The Mitchell Award (CAP) gets similar Brownie points with Admissions offices as an Eagle Scout.

ROTC is for college students, not high school. Most ROTC students get some sort of scholarship, some a full 4 year ride. All scholarship recipients have a military service commitment. They generally only have a course or two that is military during the school year, but do have traniing during the summer.

Dredging this up from the past if I may.

DS just expressed serious interest in USAFA (he mentioned this before but now he is serious...and proactive). Yahoo.

I've been reading through quite a few posts, spoken to our local CAP person - he starts Tuesday - and still have a question.

I was told by the CAP contact if we were pursuing CAP we would not need to be involved with JROTC.

Is this true? Looks like from earlier posts ROTC is not something we should discount.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think of CAP as another form of JROTC, so in my mind it takes the place of it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's just an Air Force form of it if you will.