Menu

BBofLL2 vs. Latin Prep for a 9 y.o.

Saille

Ds8 (who will be nine in a few weeks) is finishing up BBofLL1. LL tends to be a love-it-or-hate-it curriculum, but we love it. All of it...derivatives, history, mapwork, etc.. I had planned to just launch into the second Big Book, until I noticed that a blogger with similar tastes in curriculum had gone to Latin Prep instead (with a 9 y.o.). I had been thinking of Latin Prep as something that might be an option later...now I'm wondering if there's enough overlap that I need to choose one or the other. So, this person very kindly talked me through her reasons, but it would be really, really terrific if anyone who has used the BBofLL2, or anyone who has an opinion, frankly, would weigh in on this. I was planning to order on Thursday...it's one of those "periodic paycheck" situations where I just want to get this done before the money gets sucked into household expenses.

I have a dd who used another Latin program for her first one, then went into LP 2 and is now working in LP 3. She is 13, very diligent, and is doing very well here.

I also have a ds, 10, who is just about done with LL1 (we have another chapter to do). So, like you, I have to make the choice with LL2 or LP1 (or perhaps 2). I have not seen LP1, so it may be very different, but I thinkLP2 it is a harder curriculum to teach. It is choppier for me to follow and sometimes I'm not clear on the answer's "whys". Also, for my war-loving son, I know that LL2 will keep his attention, but I'm not sure if the subtle British humor of LP2 will. I find that with LL1 I don't have to do much "teaching" but with LP2/3 I did (in fact, dd is so far ahead of my Latin that she meets with a tutor once a week with LP3).

I think LL is more geared to the elementary years and LP is more for the middle school years.

I am probably going to move ds into LL2 for the next section, but I am going to expect more pages be done at a quicker pace. Then I will probably use LP2 in 6th grade.

Jeri

Ok, that makes sense. Now, can anyone speak to the idea that Latin Prep is reminiscent of MCT in terms of how it gets at the underlying genius of the subject? Because that statement gave me pause. We use MCT, and are having a very good experience with it. That's about the only thing that could make me switch, at this point.

Ok, that makes sense. Now, can anyone speak to the idea that Latin Prep is reminiscent of MCT in terms of how it gets at the underlying genius of the subject? Because that statement gave me pause. We use MCT, and are having a very good experience with it. That's about the only thing that could make me switch, at this point.

Oh, and here's another question. After which volume of Latin Prep would you say a student is prepared for the National Latin Exam? After Latin Prep 3, would a student be ready to read, say, the Aeneid in hs?

<<Ok, that makes sense. Now, can anyone speak to the idea that Latin Prep is reminiscent of MCT in terms of how it gets at the underlying genius of the subject? Because that statement gave me pause. We use MCT, and are having a very good experience with it. That's about the only thing that could make me switch, at this point.>>.

I haven't heard the MCT analogy about LP, but have used MCt myself. I *guees* i could understand the MCT analogy *if* I understood Latin as well as I understand grammar! But I don't. I do know my dd's Latin teacher really likes LP2 and 3. But then again, she has a BA and MS in the Classics. So she is going to appreciate and get the beauty of LP. Honestly, I just don't! I need something much more straightforward. [side note, we use LoF and I have heard that there is a similarity with that and MCT. That I can see, but I love adn understand math!]

<<Oh, and here's another question. After which volume of Latin Prep would you say a student is prepared for the National Latin Exam? After Latin Prep 3, would a student be ready to read, say, the Aeneid in hs? >>

Can't speak to the level of NLE for LP since we missed it last year. I can ask her Latin teacher though, what level she thinks she will be ready for in Feb using LP3. That might give you some idea. If you have just completed LL1 though (regardless of what you do next), I might just suggest you do the Intro or first level anyway. As for the next level after LP3, her Latin teacher has said that she will have completed (in her mind) two levels of high school Latin, and will move into translations.

HTH.

jeri

Bumping this....

My dc are doing LP3 this year. I don't think they'll be ready for translating the Aeneid after finishing.

I don't think LP 1-3 equals finishing Wheelock's, for example. In fact, after finishing LP 1 and 2, dc are not considered to be half way through Wheelocks. (I'm only saying this after investigaing an online class using Wheelocks. Although they've done well in LP 1 and 2, and scored gold on the National Latin 1 exam, they still would need to begin over again with Wheelocks and the class would be mostly review until Spring. The class moves very quickly.) As far as the Nat. Latin Exam goes, I think dc should finish LP 2 before taking exam 1. However, I'm anxious to here what others think too.

AS far as using LP for a 9 year old, I would be cautious and move very slowly. It's definately not an elementary program.

Looking forward to hearing what others think!

One more thing.....LP is a grammar method and not so much reading. I think before going into the heavy translations, one probably must get used to just READING Latin. It has to go beyond the parsing of words into their correct English order/part of speech into just naturally reading and understanding. LP won't get you there. It is necessary to go through the grammar first, but I think another reading type program is needed to go further. ....Would love to hear others comment on this.

II thinkLP2 it is a harder curriculum to teach. It is choppier for me to follow and sometimes I'm not clear on the answer's "whys".

LP2 is harder, and I have often found myself looking for more explanation in the answer key or text or somewhere. I ususally "get it" after just letting it gel a little, or after working with the topic in the exercises. But then it seems there aren't enough exercises, because by the time I finish I'm just understanding, and don't feel like I have it mastered.

My ds is just finishing LP2, chapter 3, and he and I decided today to spend a week or two reviewing, before plunging ahead.

(sorry to the OP for the hijack)

So, BBoLL2, then Latin Prep, then Wheelock's, *then* the Aeneid? Or Latin Prep 1 starting now and working slowly, so that we'll be able to do Wheelock's in time to do the Aeneid in hs?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Laura Corin post that Latin Prep 1-3 = SYRWTL Latin 1-2 - in other words, after LP1-3, you're ready to move on to SYRWTL Latin 3. I think LP is for middle school and moves slower, and SYRWTL Latin is if you're starting closer to high school.

Not sure how much Latin is needed to read the Aeneid, but LP is an awfully slim volume, even times three (well, I've only seen vol. 1 - maybe the other two are thicker?)... I'd have a hard time believing you'd be ready for something as heavy-duty as the Aeneid after that. :)

So, BBoLL2, then Latin Prep, then Wheelock's, *then* the Aeneid? Or Latin Prep 1 starting now and working slowly, so that we'll be able to do Wheelock's in time to do the Aeneid in hs?

BB2, then LP1 (you'll zip through this after BB2), LP2 & 3, then SYRWTL Latin 3, then start original texts

Or LP1... etc.

I'd be inclined to order the LP1 text from Ray and let your DS decide.

My dd8 is on Chapter 10 of BB1 and will likely finish the same month she turns 9. I'm currently planning on taking her through BB2, then looking at the LP series. I figure we have plenty of time to get to where we want to be (reading original works) in high school, and I want the foundation really solid. I think the review in LP1 (if we go that route) will be very beneficial.

Right this second, I have to do one or the other. Ray is offering sale prices and free shipping, but the text would still not get here until September...at that point, if LP doesn't seem like the right thing, Catherine's sales will likely be over, so I'll pay twenty dollars more for BB2.

OTOH, if I go ahead and order BB2, and end up not using it, I can't really return it. And then I'd have to shell out for the rest of the materials for Latin Prep to accompany the text I'd bought to show ds. Sigh.

You can also choose anything at Galore Park Books, Scholastic UK, or Harper Collins UK Same 20%-Off, Free Shipping, and No Sales Tax. Email me now through midnight Sunday, August 8, 2010, I'll confirm everything, you can mail a check, and you'll receive your Horrible Books in Early-September.

That's just for books he doesn't have in stock. I ordered LP1 from him and had it in just a few days. The "also" implies to me that he's saying you still get the specials offers also on books from the UK he doesn't currently have in stock, you'd just have to wait longer till he gets them in.

I am ordering Book 1 to preview. If it seems like the right thing, right now, I'll go on and order the rest of the materials. The CD seems really expensive. I know me, though, and I need the audio.

I continue to welcome any opinions on this topic! I really appreciate the input!

Ds#2 has completed LL1 & is now working on LL2. LL2 goes a lot slower than LL1. We finished all 16 lessons in LL1 in a year, but we are getting through 2 lessons each 10 week term (8 lessons / year) in LL2. LL2 has new vocabulary every lesson & each lesson finishes with a page long translation.

LP1 has only 10 chapters, but moves very quickly after the first couple chapters. LP1 doesn't have the history portions, but instead has translations based on mythology. Ds#1 uses LP & likes it, but moves much more slowly than ds#2 & doesn't have as firm a foundation as ds#2 does with LL. LP covers English grammar, but not as well as LL. I like LP, but wouldn't choose to use it with a 9yo.

Dd uses SYRWTL Latin. She really enjoys it. It is clear & to the point. It moves a bit quicker than the LP books, but it does include a bit of Classical History at the end of each chapter. I am working through the SYRWTL Latin books as well to stay a bit ahead of my dc.

When ds#2 finishes LL2 about this time next year, I'll have him work quickly through either LP1 or SYRWTL Latin 1 that last term of the school year. Looking at the ToC in both curriculums, the first book will be mostly review, but that review will help to cement what he's learned in LL.

JMHO,

• 2 weeks later...

Deb, that post is brilliant! Thank you! I didn't see it until just now.

I got LP1 two days ago, and I've been thinking as I looked through it that we would miss the history and derivative studies. You hit the nail on the head WRT pacing. LL moves slower, but I also know that the things my kids learn, they remember. It's reassuring to know that there are passage translations in BB2, as that's one area where LP was scoring higher for me. I think we are going to keep going with Lively Latin. It looks like LP1 and part of LP2 would be review if you'd finished BB2. Even if BB2 takes two years, we'll still have time to get through LP or SYRWTLL by ninth grade, and go on to read literature in high school.

I will be watching with interest to see what you discover after BB2: whether you are happy with Latin Prep or whether you prefer a move to SYRWTLL.