Menu

UPDATE: Learn Spanish for Kids! DVD

Luvmy3kids

Here is the original thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194929

The program is set up with a Level 1 (lessons 1-20), a Level 2 (lessons 21-40), and a Level 3 (lessons 41-60).

I have reviewed the first 5 lessons. They seem to build and carryover a little bit from the previous lesson to the new one. However, unless it is a review lesson, there will be a new concept given.

These lessons are engaging. There is the teacher, who will say the new words/phrases and then it will go to other students practicing the words/phrases. They add in songs and games. They also add homework!!! They just want you to practice what you learned in that lesson.

Lesson 1(this is a summary):

*Maestro/a (boy/girl)

*Estudiantes

*Muy Bien

*Padre

*Madre

*Buenos Dias

*Buenas Noches

*Como estas

*estoy bien, estoy consado, estoy triste, estoy alegre

When it goes to the other students practicing the words/phrases, they do pronounce correctly. They will roll their R's when needed. There was one who did not roll the R.

Lesson 2

*Como te llamas

*Me llamo_________

*peoples names can be different in spanish than in english

ex. George (english) and George (spanish)

George= HORhay in spanish

ex. Dora= Dorrra (rolling of the R's)

*Roll your R's rrrrrrrrrrrr!

Lesson 3

*Review of past 2 lessons

*Buenos Dias Song

*Buenos Tardes Song

*Buenas Noches Song

Lesson 4

*All 3 songs

*Game-Quien es?

*Si

*No

*Homework

Lesson 5

*Colors

*Homework-practice colors in real life

I really like this program! My 3 year old was repeating the colors! I can't wait to see the other lessons and get the workbook!

I would definately recommend this DVD set. Add in some other fun DVDs and CDs. My children are 9,5, and 3.

Disclaimer: Excuse any and all misspellings! Thanks:tongue_smilie:

My 7 year old watched quite a few of the lessons today (it just arrived yesterday). She didn't want to stop watching them. I just asked her what she thinks of the DVD's and she said, "Awesome." :001_smile:

I, personally, find a few things annoying (such as the woman's voice who sings). But, it doesn't seem to bother my dd. So, I'm trying to take a :chillpill:. :lol:

My 7 year old watched quite a few of the lessons today (it just arrived yesterday). She didn't want to stop watching them. I just asked her what she thinks of the DVD's and she said, "Awesome." :001_smile:

I, personally, find a few things annoying (such as the woman's voice who sings). But, it doesn't seem to bother my dd. So, I'm trying to take a :chillpill:. :lol:

LOL! I know, but I found myself singing to them:D!

Lesson 2

*Como te llamas

*Me llamo_________

*peoples names can be different in spanish than in english

ex. George (english) and George (spanish)

George= HORhay in spanish

ex. Dora= Dorrra (rolling of the R's)

*Roll your R's rrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have a question about this lesson. There are two different R sounds in Spanish. One is soft and the other is stronger. When they are showing how to pronounce Dora, and tell the students to roll their Rs, which kind of R are they practicing, the soft or the strong R?

I have a question about this lesson. There are two different R sounds in Spanish. One is soft and the other is stronger. When they are showing how to pronounce Dora, and tell the students to roll their Rs, which kind of R are they practicing, the soft or the strong R?
To add more context to the R question above:

The letter R in the name Dora should not be rolled. R between two vowels is pronounced something like a soft d. So the name Dora should never be pronounced Dorrrra. It should actually sound close to Doda, spoken quickly and lightly.

To add more context to the R question above:

The letter R in the name Dora should not be rolled. R between two vowels is pronounced something like a soft d. So the name Dora should never be pronounced Dorrrra. It should actually sound close to Doda, spoken quickly and lightly.

:iagree: The R in Dora is not rolled - closer to a soft "d" is right. The Spanish R is only rolled if it's the first letter in the word, or if you see two r's together (technically a separate letter, erre).

My favorite sentence to practice rolling Rs: Rapido corren los ferrocarriles. :)

I know that most homeschooling families need to spend their curriculum budget as wisely as possible, so I would like to reiterate the concerns I posted in the original thread about this product: Learn Spanish For Kids DVD Set. I have serious doubts about this program, because it appears to provide some very poor models of Spanish pronunciation. Click on the link above to read my comments, and as well as those of others who share my opinion.

These are basic issues in Spanish pronunciation, such as the pronunciation of the consonant R, as well as inconsistency in the pronunciation of vowel sounds. To my knowledge, these CANNOT be accounted for by regional or dialectical differences. That is not to say that there aren't any regional differences in Spanish. I mentioned some of them in the other thread. It is just that R and the vowels do not have the kind of variation demonstrated in the sample video.

Alternatives for younger elementary age kids include Salsa (free!) and Elementary Spanish. Other programs that are popular with WTMers include La Clase Divertida and Puertas Abiertas. Search the archives for information on any of these excellent options.

Edit: I just found a relevant comment on the homeschoolreviews.com forum, which brings up the same issue. Read it here. The author also points out the Anglo/American accent of the teacher.

Edited by jplain

Ok...so I went back to listen to the way Dora is pronounced. When the person says it faster, it does sound like there is a D in there. It is fast. It is not a drawn out rrrrr.

AprilMay-If you read this, check out Lesson 2 where they pronounce Dora. Let us know what you hear.

I am going to my friends house on Thursday. I am bringing these DVDs so her husband, a native spanish speaker, can watch and give me his opinion on them. I will post what he says/thinks.

This is a fun and engaging program. I will never sound like a native speaker. I will do my best, but I will never sound "perfect." I am sure I will always have an "american" accent.

My kids like this, so as long as it engages them, it will stay in our rotation. I am still looking at La Clase Divertida to add to our growing list.

I am going to my friends house on Thursday. I am bringing these DVDs so her husband, a native spanish speaker, can watch and give me his opinion on them. I will post what he says/thinks.

This is a fun and engaging program. I will never sound like a native speaker. I will do my best, but I will never sound "perfect." I am sure I will always have an "american" accent.

My kids like this, so as long as it engages them, it will stay in our rotation. I am still looking at La Clase Divertida to add to our growing list.

Please post back and tell us what your friend says! I am really curious now as to whether or not these are true errors in pronunciation or just regional/country differences?

I know that I grew up in Arizona and developed my accent there. My mom (who spent an entire year working in a Mexican office - no English) and grandma (a Spanish major who spent decades as an interpretor) are near native speakers. I taught my DD what my accent was. Darn if she didn't go away to university and have a Spanish professor from Madrid. He said that she had a very good accent, but that it was very "Mexican" sounding. Hmmph! ;) I'll take my "Mexican" accent anyday - much more practical for someone in the American southwest!

So anyway, I'm curious to see what your friend says.

Edited by LynnG in Hawaii

Please post back and tell us what your friend says! I am really curious now as to whether or not these are true errors in pronunciation or just regional/country differences?

I know that I grew up in Arizona and developed my accent there. My mom (who spent an entire year working in a Mexican office - no English) and grandma (a Spanish major who spent decades as an interpretor) are near native speakers. I taught my DD what my accent was. Darn if she didn't go away to university and have a Spanish professor from Madrid. He said that she had a very good accent, but that it was very "Mexican" sounding. Hmmph! ;) I'll take my "Mexican" accent anyday - much more practical for someone in the American southwest!

So anyway, I'm curious to see what your friend says.

LOL! I will let you know:)!

I did listen to lesson 2. When they talk about Dora it's included with other Spanish names. They really only talk about Dora for a couple of seconds. They did roll the r a little, but I don't think it was excessive. Not as much rolling of the r as they do in other words, like rojo.

Maybe my thinking is way off base, but I can't help but wonder if there are just differences in how some Spanish words are spoken. There certainly are differences in English. To me, Southerners have an accent. Of course, Southerners would think that I, a Northerner, have an accent. Even people in specific states have a certain way of saying things. People make fun of how Minnesotans talk (which I don't think they really talk like that). How about people out East who say words like, "cah" for "car"? Anyway, that's just my thinking on it.

Ok...sorry it took so long to get back.

My friends husband said that the program is not the best, but it is ok for learning basic vocab/phrases(from what he saw). There are some speakers who provide a more native sound than others. We didn't watch any level 2 or 3 lessons. I will get his opinion, when we get to those levels.

So, I will still keep it around like I was planning to. We will just be adding in all of the other DVDs and CDs. I am also thinking about La Clase Divertida.

My kids have fallen for Susy Dorn's DVDs. They watched them from the time the post man left them until bed time! The next morning, that was the first thing they wanted to watch:). So cute! She is a native speaker and teaches spanish classes in California.

So, hth some.

Ok...sorry it took so long to get back.

My friends husband said that the program is not the best, but it is ok for learning basic vocab/phrases(from what he saw). There are some speakers who provide a more native sound than others. We didn't watch any level 2 or 3 lessons. I will get his opinion, when we get to those levels.

So, I will still keep it around like I was planning to. We will just be adding in all of the other DVDs and CDs. I am also thinking about La Clase Divertida.

My kids have fallen for Susy Dorn's DVDs. They watched them from the time the post man left them until bed time! The next morning, that was the first thing they wanted to watch:). So cute! She is a native speaker and teaches spanish classes in California.

So, hth some.

Please dish on Suzy Dorn! What are the names of the DVD's?

thanks!

Please dish on Suzy Dorn! What are the names of the DVD's?

thanks!

http://letssinginspanish.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Susy+Dorn&ih=4_1_2_1_0_1_0_0_0_1.172_96&fsc=-1

I really thought my oldest (9) would not be that into it, but she loves it! It is really catchy. My 5 year old is already repeating words randomly throughout the day.

I bought her DVDs with her matching CDs, plus her Christmas CD.