Menu

Do you know much about bikes for boys? Mongoose?

I think there are two different levels of Mongoose bikes. One level is the cheap kind sold at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. The other level is higher quality and sold at dedicated bike shops.

In addition to being lower quality the X-Mart bikes are typically assembled by lesser experienced mechanics who get paid by the number of bikes they assemble. They're motivated to crank out sheer numbers of bikes and don't always pay really close attention to the details. This could lead to dissatisfaction with the bike or even safety concerns depending on what is missed or messed up.

If you're wanting something that will last when ridden everyday, I would suggest going to a local bike shop (LBS). You will definitely pay more, but you'll get higher quality and durability. It's also quite likely that some type of ongoing maintenance, such as annual tuneups, will be included if you buy it at your LBS.

Keep in mind that just because it's an LBS, that doesn't mean that price, accessories or options aren't negotiable.

Also, there are always good deals on bikes on craigslist, at least in St. Louis where I live.

For more bicycle related info go to www.bikeforums.net. It's the WTM for bikes.

When ds15 was 4yo we bought him a 16" Mongoose from a LBS. It was about $125 vs. the typical under $50 bike from Walmart. This bike has gone through 3 kids now, plus all the other kids who have ridden it. It is in excellent shape still and was well worth the money spent on it.

2 years ago my older boys each got a 16" bike for their birthday.

We got a Mongoose from Walmart, a Columbia from Sports Authority, a Schwinn from Toys R Us.

My 4th son got a 12" Rallye.

We also have an 18" Next that was passed down from a neighbor, and I believe they bought it at Walmart.

My guys are hard on their bikes. They take them to a concrete BMX park and a dirt mountain bike jumping park. They drop them when they get off them on the driveway or in the grass (sometimes before they are at a full stop). They attempt tricks and they wipeout. Did I mention they are hard on their bikes :001_rolleyes:?

All of the bikes are still going strong. The only problem we've had is the pedals broke on the Mongoose, but pedals are easy to replace. I haven't noticed any difference between any of the brands or where they were purchased. I just can't see spending a lot on a bike for that age group, since they are still growing, and sometimes quickly (though that hasn't been the case here).

We ONLY buy bike shop quality bikes for our kids. It may sound snooty, but it's not. It's actually a bit difficult for us to afford bike shop bikes. lol. However, we just got rid of a bike that lasted through 4 kids. I think we paid $150 when we bought it. Divide that by 4 kids, it was a steal of a deal. We just bought an awesome BMX bike for our 8 year old. I think we paid about $250. Definitely worth it.

My guys have only had Walmart bikes. Ds1 got a NEXT 5 years ago for his birthday. He rode it for about 3 years then decided he wanted a mountain bike. So little brother inherited the NEXT. Ds2 rode the NEXT until a couple months ago when he recieved a new bike (another NEXT from walmart) for his birthday.

Nothing was or is wrong with the 1st bike. Well the seat is a little torn from a wreck and it is gonna need a new tire.

Ds1 got a new bike (another NEXT from walmart) after he figured out he didn't like the mountain bike. Btw ds1 was given both of these bikes, we didn't pay for them. Ds2 had never had a new bike and asked for 1 for his birthday. The old NEXT is still out in the shed. When they have friends over there is an extra bike now.

All that to say we have had good luck with the walmart bikes and they are ridden daily.

In addition to being lower quality the X-Mart bikes are typically assembled by lesser experienced mechanics who get paid by the number of bikes they assemble. They're motivated to crank out sheer numbers of bikes and don't always pay really close attention to the details. This could lead to dissatisfaction with the bike or even safety concerns depending on what is missed or messed up.

I agree. You may get lucky with a megastore bike, but it's sheer luck. Full disclosure: My husband owns and operates a bicycle business (custom stuff, and a lot of handbuilt wheels). He's no BMX expert, but I'm sure he'd suggest that you support your local bike shop. Or maybe go to a spot where older kids/men are riding and ask them for bike recs for your kiddos.

Ride on, young WTMers:)