Menu

craigslist question

It seems like normally the way this works is the buyer emails the seller, asks a few questions, and they either arrange to meet via email or the seller offers his/her phone number for the buyer to call to arrange a meeting.

I'm trying to sell something and someone emailed me and said "please call me at [number]." For some reason this seems a little weird to me . . . is it or am I just imagining things? Should I call him?

If they mentioned the item at all, then I wouldn't think it's odd.

If the email only said "please call me at [number]." with no other text, then yes, I would think that is odd.

You could search the phone number on the internet and see if it matches up with the person's name. (Of course, I don't know if this will work with a cell #.)

Actually, I would take this as well-mannered. He did not ask for your number, but provided his. That gives you the option to return the call from a blocked number, thus keeping your privacy intact.

I have learned that the most successful way to quickly complete a craigslist transaction is to provide my phone number to the seller. Email (waiting for responses) can bog down the process.

You can always have your dh or a deep-voiced son return the call if that would make you feel safer.

When I first started selling some things on CL, this happened to me too and I thought that was really odd, but then I decided to give it a shot and haven't had any problems at all with calling the buyer instead of them calling me. Usually it's because they really want the item, but after they send the email they'll be out of the house all day and don't want to miss out on it because they weren't home to get the email.

I don't like to put my phone number on CL so that's why they have to email me.

Some people are not as good about email. We've totally gotten the run-around on some attempted purchases, with the seller taking forever to get back to us, or only answering half of our question, or just not seeming to get to the point of, hey, when can we come get it. Often we've had the thought that if we could just talk, we could get the entire transaction agreed upon in about 2 minutes with all appropriate details discussed. The email method can be excruciatingly slow, and very irritating if you do a lot of craigslisting. Sort of the difference between buying a bauble at a street market in Cairo vs. picking one up at a flea market. One of them involves forging a relationship and having tea while you discuss the ups and downs of said bauble and its value, and the other involves giving the guy a buck and walking away with it.

ETA I mean by the title, it's not at all weird, not that you should avoid calling. If you feel comfortable with it, go ahead and call.

I sell a lot of things on craigs list. I always list my own phone number. I have never had a problem. If you don't want to list your phone number, then you are going to eventually have to call the buyer yourself. At some point, you will have to talk to each other to set up the pick up of the item unless you are shipping the item. I'm sure the reason he said "call me" is so that he didn't appear rude by asking for your phone number. Personally, I don't call them, I tell them to call me.

Some people are not as good about email. We've totally gotten the run-around on some attempted purchases, with the seller taking forever to get back to us, or only answering half of our question, or just not seeming to get to the point of, hey, when can we come get it. Often we've had the thought that if we could just talk, we could get the entire transaction agreed upon in about 2 minutes with all appropriate details discussed. The email method can be excruciatingly slow, and very irritating if you do a lot of craigslisting. Sort of the difference between buying a bauble at a street market in Cairo vs. picking one up at a flea market. One of them involves forging a relationship and having tea while you discuss the ups and downs of said bauble and its value, and the other involves giving the guy a buck and walking away with it.

ETA I mean by the title, it's not at all weird, not that you should avoid calling. If you feel comfortable with it, go ahead and call.

:iagree: Yes, a phone call does the job efficiently. That's what I do.

I get annoyed when people do this. I just don't respond. In fact, in my original listing I have begun putting "Please do not ask me to call you. I work through email only."

And you reduce your answerers thereby. Because sometimes email only does not work for everyone.