Menu

question about IEW Student Writing Intensive

Moxie

How did you schedule it? Did anyone use the whole thing in one week? I'm thinking about doing it that way but I wonder if they would learn more slow-and-steady. Did you let your kids write in the student notebook or did you copy the sheets?

I used the lesson plans on the IEW website. It comes with extra handouts in addition to the ones in the binder. I copied all of the sheets and they made their own writing notebooks. The lesson plans spreads it out to 15 lessons I think which is several months of work. I think they remember it better and practice each new concept before moving on to the next one.

How did you schedule it? Did anyone use the whole thing in one week? I'm thinking about doing it that way but I wonder if they would learn more slow-and-steady. Did you let your kids write in the student notebook or did you copy the sheets?

I used the SWI-B over about 18 weeks. There's 15 lessons, a couple of which are review, and I added in some of the Ancient History theme lessons (because I had it) when I thought my dc needed a little more practice. I also added in a couple papers on science topics in IEW research style for fun.;)

I would only do it in a week if I was in a group situation. If you have to do all that work yourself and not have anyone else to bounce ideas off, that would be tough!

The program is great and really helped my reluctant writer!

Did you as the teacher get the TWSS and use it first? I am trying to decide if I can wing it with SWI and not buy the more expensive TWSS.

I borrowed the TWSS from a friend. It was really helpful as an overview to understand the program but I don't think I would have sprung for it if I had had to pay for it. Can you borrow it from someone or from the library?

If not, I think you can do SWI without it, it will just require more work and more attention from you. Part of the TWSS is where you stop the dvd and do the actual writing exercise yourself. I found that very helpful and for the first 3 or 4 lessons of the SWI-B I actually did the lessons alongside my kids and then we all read them aloud as if we were in a seminar. It was good for them to see me working and brainstorming, too.:D

When we used SWIA - we stretched it out and added more practice on skills taught with text from the subjects we were studying. I would find text from books we were reading, online or magazines for them.

As the skills are developing, tie it into subjects you are already studying - history, science, etc.

You could also move on to one of IEW's theme-based units.

HTH!

Thanks, I just received SWI-A and am trying to get my schedule filled in for the year. I think we may stretch it out by doing it two or three days a week. It will be a challenge for my DSs I suspect, as they are not overly fond of writing. :)

My kids love watching Mr. Pudewa - he is very funny!!

When you say "stretch it out by doing it two-three days a week" - it will take them a couple days per week to do the assignments.

Have you seen the Lesson Plans for teachers - they break it down each week very nicely.

I am going to do SWI A alongside with CW Aesop 1a this year with my 3rd grader. We will start with SWI A for first 6 month, then we will continue with CW Aesop and do Ancient History thematic lessons to reinforce information learned in SWI A. Next summer/fall we are going to work with "Fables, Myths and Fairy tales" book reinforcing more of SWI A ( CW Aesop is dealing with Fables too).

Can I add a question? If you used SWI for 16 or so weeks, what did you do the rest of the year for writing?

I used some history based writing assignments. You can easily use the IEW with any subject you are already teaching. You could pull up a paragraph from your science and have them do a key word outline and rewrite the paragraph with dress ups. Or from your history reading.

I used some history based writing assignments. You can easily use the IEW with any subject you are already teaching. You could pull up a paragraph from your science and have them do a key word outline and rewrite the paragraph with dress ups. Or from your history reading.

This is what I did. We wrote from our non-fiction history books as sources and did science research reports. It worked beautifully to reinforce. We always used the SWI "source" as our first model then used something less "contrived" or "perfect" for our reinforcement. Please don't take this to mean I think the SWI models are all contrived, I don't:). But, they are perfect for doing exactly what Pudewa is teaching so it always works. Trying the same assignment with a paragraph or source (or two) that aren't tailored to the SWI stretched my kids and cemented the skills in their minds. YMMV:D