Menu

Hey, I was listening to FInancial Peace U on CD. (about spouses and budgets)..

And it reminded me of a thread here in which a poster was concerned about another poster preparing the budget without her spouse.

Dave himself said in the tape that it is fine for the budget/geek minded spouse to prepare the budget solo, present the budget and it then becomes open for discussion and feedback. He certainly did not make it necessary that both spouses prepare the budget.

He was very clear, though, about issues of power and control.

Yeah, well this geek prepares the budget, but the free spirit I am married to refuses to have a budget meeting. He won't talk to me about money at all. I don't even think he knows how much we pay in rent!:lol: He goes to work everyday and expects me to do whatever I do to make it work.

In this case it can't be about power and control!:tongue_smilie:

My husband is totally out of the loop about budget issues (by choice) and has no concept of what things cost. Every now and then he yells "what happened to all the money?!" I tell him I have a Swiss bank account set up for myself. :glare:

Edited by Mejane

My DH has never been the one who watches the budget, worries about money, or thinks strategically. Nevertheless, I always tell him everything major that I think we should decide to do, and ask him whether he agrees. He always says, Sure, whatever. But I just don't think that it's respectful or partner-ish not to let him know. What he chooses to do with that information is up to him.

My DH has never been the one who watches the budget, worries about money, or thinks strategically. Nevertheless, I always tell him everything major that I think we should decide to do, and ask him whether he agrees. He always says, Sure, whatever. But I just don't think that it's respectful or partner-ish not to let him know. What he chooses to do with that information is up to him.

I tell my dh, but picture a grown man with his fingers in his ears saying, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! I can't hear you!":lol: If I ask for help with a decision, he says, "I don't know - you're better at that stuff." I think numbers just scare him to death.

My DH is kind of funny about it...I try to show him the budget etc. but he really doesn't want to know. He always says "I trust you" this is nice, however it would be nice to get some input. I think that he is especially hands-off because I wanted to know EVERYTHING about the budget when he was paying the bills. I think I drove him a little crazy :tongue_smilie:

Diane

My husband is totally out of the loop about budget issues (by choice) and has no concept of what things cost. Every now and then he yells "what happened to all the money?!" I tell him I have a Swiss bank account set up for myself. :glare:

:lol: My dh asked this once (and only once). I took him grocery shopping with me one afternoon. He now knows what happens to all the money, LOL!

Dave himself said in the tape that it is fine for the budget/geek minded spouse to prepare the budget solo, present the budget and it then becomes open for discussion and feedback. He certainly did not make it necessary that both spouses prepare the budget.

That's how we do it here. Dh has always been the budget geek--since long before we ever heard of Larry Burkett or Dave Ramsey. It's something he enjoys doing. I hate it. We have our quarterly (or as needed) budget meeting and I give my 17 minutes of attention to that. It works well for us.

Cinder

The neat thing about Dave Ramsey is that he thinks it is a good idea for the geek to do the numbers part of the budget,generally there is one of the spouses that enjoy it. BUt then the other spouse has to agree to it. The geek spouse has to listen to the changes the other spouse suggests, and the the nongeek spouse has to participate- so both spouses participate. My hubby is the geek, and I let him do the numbers. But then I would have no idea what was going on with the money. Now he does the numbers, but I am going to tell him the changes I want-

I tell my dh, but picture a grown man with his fingers in his ears saying, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! I can't hear you!":lol: If I ask for help with a decision, he says, "I don't know - you're better at that stuff." I think numbers just scare him to death.

Yes, my DH is pretty much like that as well.

I still tell him. I figure then that I have done my job.

If he doesn't really engage, that's not something that I can control, so I try not to worry about it.