Menu

Ohio and forms!

I'm working on filling out the paper to notify the superintendent that we are homeschooling. I'm agonizing over the attached lists of curriculum and materials to be used. I'm really have a problem with the PE/Health, Fine Arts, and the First Aid/Safety/Fire ones. Those areas are not formal at all- they are involved in activities and we talk about a lot of the safety/health stuff. What do you guys do? Does any one have an example of what they've done in years past that you wouldn't mind showing me? I'm not sure how detailed to get and if it should be on two separate sheets of paper or all on one! I'm over analyzing it all!

Thanks!

hi! I'm a fellow Ohioan....I just wrote any sports for Phys Ed, ie soccer, table...even

Girl Scouts. If I was planning a field trip to the firestation, I put that. I had a book of manners I used for health, and one I wanted to use from the library, so I jotted those down. My list for those things were basic...truly, it was fine. Hth!

We usually list U.S. Fire Administration pamphlets/activity books (I think you can still get them free), FEMA activity books, and something like Usborne's Food, Fitness and Health.

Our county has bugged people about not specifically having something for fire safety before, and this keeps them off our back :D.

I would just recommend keeping it as simple as possible. You know you don't have to notify until they are of compulsory age, right? Good luck.

Here is what I have so far:

Curriculum for XXXX 2010-2011

Language Arts

-Dictation/recitation/narration

-Creative/journal writing

-Grammar

-Spelling

-Reading comprehension

-Literature

Math

-Addition facts

-Subtraction facts

-Skip counting

-Measurement

-Fractions

-Geometry

-Sets

-Place Value

-Money

-Graphs

-Estimation

-Ratio

-Area, perimeter, and volume

-Decimals

Science

-Astronomy

-Ecology

-Physical Science

Geography/History

-Ancient civilizations

-World geography

Health/PE

-Gymnastics

-Swim

Fine Arts

-Great composers

-Great artisits

-Piano lessons

First Aid, Safety, Fire Prevention

-Field trips

- Conversations

Material List for XXXX 2010-2011

Language Arts

First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise

Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer

Sonlight Reading Guide

Math

Horizons

Science

Exploring Creation with Astronomy by Jeannie K. Fulbright

Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level Physics by Dr. Rebecca W. Keller

History

Story of the World Volume 1 by Susan Wise Bauer

The Usborne Book of World History

Fine Arts

Classical Conversations by Leigh A. Bortins

How does it look? To basic? To much?

Oh, and she will be turning 6 in a few weeks so I will have to report her!

Oh, and she will be turning 6 in a few weeks so I will have to report her!

Oh, ok. Just wanted to be sure you knew.

Your layout is a little different than mine, but should be fine. Each county is different, and I know some make it very easy, while others do the opposite...hopefully you're in an easy-to-work-with county :tongue_smilie:.

I also usually have a section at the end of the materials list for "General Resources", sort of a catch-all for things like 4H materials, library resources, one of the "What Your ____grader Needs To Know" books, you get the idea.

BTW, love the quote in your sig. :)

For phys. ed, I just listed that the kids were enrolled in community sports and swimming lessons, and that they did team games and physical activities with Cub Scouts.

For the safety stuff, I just said we review our safety plans, read library books and visit police and fire station with Cub Scouts.

I did list some books we are reading for health and some field trips I have planned.

Ours last year looked similiar, we listed out the books and authors for each subject such as you have listed. Below that we had a misc. list-

Textbooks/Workbooks

Maps and Globes

World and Ohio History materials

Resource materials- Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and Thesaurus

Library loan materials

Multi-media resources- Video, Cassette, and Software

Musical recordings and printed sheet music material

Computer and internet access

Family and Sporting activities

Field Trips

Games and pen pals

Livestock and pet care

Musical instrument instruction

4-H and Community resources including but not limited to county fair and museums

Home school Support group resources and activities

First aid, safety, and fire prevention resources

Health education materials

This list can never be complete

We worded it something like this-

We intend to cover the typical requirements and more for the average children of their age, incorporating all subjects mentioned in Question #5, and using every opportunity for education.

(Question 5 is the "Assurance that home educators will include the following, except that home educators shall not be required to include any concept, topic, or practice that is in conflict with the sincerely held religous beliefs of the parent;

a Language, reading, spelling, and writing

b Geography, History of the U.S. and Ohio; national state and local gov.

c Math

d Science

e Health

f Physical education

g Fine arts including music

h First aid, safety and fire prevention)

This is all I provide and it has not been questioned for the last 6 years. In the body of the notification form I type "see attached outline" and then attach a page with this information.

Brief Outline of the Intended Curriculum for the Current Year:

All subjects required in Section 3301-34-03 (5) of the Ohio Revised Code will be covered in an age-appropriate manner, including but not limited to:

Rod and Staff English curriculum

Spelling Power

Math U See Arithmetic curriculum

Tapestry of Grace History and Reading curriculum

Earth Science curriculum

Customized curriculum for:

Spanish

Art

Ohio History

Health

Music

List of Textbooks:

Bible

Spelling Power

Rod and Staff English

Math U See Arithmetic

Tapestry of Grace Year 4

Kingfisher’s Science Encyclopedia

States that require fire safety from homeschoolers always crack me up. My fil has been in the fire service as a volunteer, assist chief and now chief. My kids could teach most elementary fire safety courses.

Having said that, I like boy scout and cub scout safety, health and manners stuff. For elementary age, search for Cub Scout Academic Awards (aka Beltloops and Pins). For 6th grade and up, look for Merit Badge Requirements (especially, Fire Safety, Personal Fitness, First Aid, and Emergency Preparedness).

You will also probably find some applicable stuff at the CDC website (ex. Poison Control, Flu prep) and at the FEMA website (disaster preparedness).