Menu

Thinking about co-ops/enrichment etc. Are you willing to shell out $450 per class and

still have to be the one "proctoring" and grading tests, papers, etc.?

As much as I would like to avail myself of the opportunities near my home, I cannot justify paying the $$$ and still have to do most, if not all of the admin work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Depends on how special & involved the class is. . .

1) Does it offer something I cannot do? Could I do it at home instead? If so, how hard would it be? How much would we miss?

2) If it was 2-3 hrs/wk for a whole school year and involved either extensive lab and/or outside teacher time (grading essays, preparing labs, bringing in speakers, etc.), then maybe the $$ and the work would be worth it. . .

But, if not, well, then, no.

I rarely do outside classes. They just haven't been worth the time, trouble, etc. I hire a tutor for oral spanish help, and the kids have music teachers for instruments. . . but everything else we do at home so far.

I probably would not do it if I still had to grade papers and tests and give the course grade. I expect that record keeping to be done if I am paying for a class.

I did pay a bit less than $400 per year for high school lab science courses (Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry and Physics) for my dc. The courses were taught by an amazing woman with a Master's degree in Biology, who loves all the sciences and loves teaching hsed students. She had an uncanny way of getting non-science loving students to enjoy science because she shared her enthusiasm. But she taught (2.5 hour class weekly), provided all the lab materials, plus did extra labs that were not in the curriculum, gave/graded tests and issued a grade for the class. It was well worth it.

It would have to be a class that I can't teach myself and would greatly benefit my dc for me to pay $450, then have to do all the record keeping myself.

So how much benefit would your dc get from taking this class?

Nope. Not willing to spend that much money if I have to grade the work. $450-$550 is in the typical range for online classes my girls did. All the grading is done by the teacher; obviously, the parent (or sometimes a recognized educator or librarian) needs to "proctor" exams. Locally, we can get weekly classes for $150-$200 or so per year. These include teacher grading of material; parents proctor exams.

I did pay a bit less than $400 per year for high school lab science courses (Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry and Physics) for my dc. The courses were taught by an amazing woman with a Master's degree in Biology, who loves all the sciences and loves teaching hsed students. She had an uncanny way of getting non-science loving students to enjoy science because she shared her enthusiasm. But she taught (2.5 hour class weekly), provided all the lab materials, plus did extra labs that were not in the curriculum, gave/graded tests and issued a grade for the class. It was well worth it.

/QUOTE]

has us proctoring and grading the tests. That kinda bums me out, as I'd at least like to have dc answer to someone else for the tests, etc., epecially for that price....

My D is taking online classes for college credit (they are out of state so they are considered "enrichment", and we are paying $125 plus books for the classes....Spanish Language through Clovis Community college. Arizona Western charges something like $185 for each 3 credit class. Proctoring is free at our local library.

Do I mind paying it? Heck no, it's cheaper than college in-state tuition where I live, although my D has taken free dual-credit classes here, too. But the classes fill up quickly and because she has to register in person and the older (non dual credit) students can do it online, sometimes the classes fill up before she can register. So we are stuck with paying for out-of-state tuition.

But it's worth it for sure, it will be that much less we wi;l spend to send her off to college.

As much as I would like to avail myself of the opportunities near my home, I cannot justify paying the $$$ and still have to do most, if not all of the admin work.

No way! For that price I expect the teacher to teach which includes grading tests, papers and providing appropriate feedback. I might be willing to help out in some other way in the classroom if it was really an amazing teacher/class but not to grade my child's tests.

Carole

No way! For that price I expect the teacher to teach which includes grading tests, papers and providing appropriate feedback. I might be willing to help out in some other way in the classroom if it was really an amazing teacher/class but not to grade my child's tests.

Carole

:iagree:

It would depend on the purpose of the class and what I wanted my child to get out of it. I must confess I pay that price per class that my dd12 takes at a homeschool class center. They don't have tests and graded papers. I have no idea what they do at the high school level.

I do wonder though, what *does* this class provide?