Menu

math facts-move on or stay planted?

pjssully

My daughter is in 6th grade this fall. She has some vision issues and emotional issues a few years back and is "behind" a bit-her issues are now resolved. However, she still doesn't know multiplication facts (or division). She knows how to do multi digit multiplication and easy long division, but i have let her use a chart hoping she would pick up (along with daily flashcards) She is maybe 1/2 through multiplication and "stuck" Not sure what to do with her for fall. I was planning TT 6 (she did TT 5 last year) or Math u see. Now i am wondering if i should have her do Math u see multiplication (gamma)-but i hate to put her back yet, i don't think going ahead makes much sense either.

any suggestions?

thanks

pjean

She knows how to do multi digit multiplication and easy long division, but i have let her use a chart hoping she would pick up (along with daily flashcards) She is maybe 1/2 through multiplication and "stuck" Not sure what to do with her for fall.

:iagree: That sounds great. What is she stuck on?

I was planning TT 6 (she did TT 5 last year) or Math u see.

If TT worked (meaning did she understand and have appropriate retention on the concepts presented in TT5), then stick with it.

If TT didn't work, have her take the MUS placement test and begin her where she places. MUS is a self-paced curriculum. If she can watch the DVD and do the first lesson quickly and without error, the next day take the test. If she can complete if quickly and without error, move onto the next lesson. By doing MUS this way, you won't spend time on material she has already mastered.

HTH-

Mandy

Dd10 went through this and we stopped all other math and concentrated on the times tables for several weeks. We did drills, flashcards, games, worksheets anything to keep her practicing. She now knows them all and her math speed has improved a 100%. It was well worth the time off to get this accomplished.

We went "sideways" in math this semester while working on times tables but got to the point where we couldn't move on to the next book until she did the units on multiplication & division. So DH played "bad cop" and took away her computer and Wii privileges until she finished learning her facts. That was the kick in the pants she needed to get them mastered.

I would absolutely pause to master her times tables. My kids love Timez Attack - it's a free downloadable computer game. I can't remember the website but if you google it you should find it. There's a pay version, too, but the free version has all the facts up to 12 so I've never purchased it.

I would absolutely pause to master her times tables. My kids love Timez Attack - it's a free downloadable computer game. I can't remember the website but if you google it you should find it. There's a pay version, too, but the free version has all the facts up to 12 so I've never purchased it.

My ds had problems with his facts adding, subtracting, and multiplication. Got to say love the free download to Timez Attack and so does he. He also loves the free mental math with Mathisfun and it is free and he can work on any of the facts +,-,x,division long and short, fractions and plenty others. We just started the addition and he loves to challenge himself. My ds is 11 if that helps. He just never mastered these things in PS and I will take as much time to help him know his facts and you can't beat free. If you need any help finding these sites please let me know. This board is who helped me with the problems. Good luck and don't stress. I can tell you since my panic attack is over.:lol: