Menu

dd -4 yo is already reading. Suggestions for Kindergarten please

dd is 4 and can read up to book 6 in Sing, Spell, Read and Write (short vowel sounds). I'd like some suggestions on what to use with her for Kindergarten. I'm thinking of using My Fathers World K and not doing the reading portion. Any other ideas? I wasn't prepared for this as 3 other dc didn't read until they were 6 or 7.

Thanks,

Sue

Sounds like my oldest. She was talking at 9 months, holding valid arguments and winning at 18 mo, learned all her abcs around 16 mo, knew all her phonetic sounds before age 2 yo.

I started her off in Horizons Phonics and Horizons Math at age 3 1/2. We took it slow.

I wouldn't bother with MFK K if you aren't doing the phonics part. That is 1/2 of the program.

I would do the AO Horizons for K, and perhaps 1st. Then start using MFW for second. You would be wasting 1/2 your money to do MFW for K or 1st because the phonetics are gonna be way below what your dd would need. You can get enough writing with Horizons to not have to worry about that aspect right off the bat.

I am using MFW K right now with dd#2, it's her pace.

Anyway, Horizons is very good and their phonics program is nice. We also used FLL, and the Horizons 1st overlapped FLL quite a bit in the grammar dept.

Just my $0.02

Tab

It sounds like your dc already has accomplished K requirements. Time to move on to 1st grade material.

My 4 yo so is also reading. He's working through OPTGR and he's on lesson 44. He'll finish it and then Pathway Readers & Workbooks are next for ds for reading.

My daughter sounds like she was where your daughter is at the beginning of her kindergarten year. A lot of MFW is about learning to read, but the science/bible activities for this age are just awesome and I would definitely recommend it in a heartbeat if you can afford to buy a program you will only be using a part of. It was so much fun and I have such great memories from doing this.

The Pathway Readers would be a great next step as well. The other program I really enjoyed for Kindergarten was Rightstart Math A.

Lisa

I had found a used set of MFW 1st for a great price, and then decided to piece together a curriculum. After being dissatisfied with what I had originally planned for Bible, I picked MFW up again. I used the Bible materials from 1st--teacher's guide, Bible reader and student notebook--in addition with what I had already planned for math, science, language arts, etc. I LOVED them. They were part of the highlight of our year.

I can't vouch for the whole program, but I don't think you'd go wrong with it. BTW--dd was also in K this year and reading well when we began.