Menu

Dd just flew through IEW SWI B now what?

Dd is a rising 9th grader. I purchased SWI B because I wanted to use it with my rising 6th grade struggling writer too. Over the last two weeks, dd has done all the assignments, and watched all the videos. She will have a few final revisions to do, but I expect the this coming week she will be finished. Silly me, I thought that I had been lax in the writing department and she would be doing this for a few months at least. Clearly she has picked up something along the way.

So now what? I just spent a small fortune on school stuff and expected IEW to at least take us into the fall. Should I

1) Purchase more IEW at the high school level? If so what? I don't want to buy more dvd's (is there more to the level C?)

2) Do TOG or WTM style writing for the year?

3) Start Lost Tools of Writing this year instead of next (which was what I was planning)?

4) Other?

You can also have her work through one of the theme-based books. They are an inexpensive way to reinforce and extend what she has learned. I know the U.S. History Vo. 2 is for level C, and there are others too that you can check out at their website.

Louise

I'm not a hard-core IEW fan, but we have used it in the past, through the first set of DVDs. I felt like IEW was giving tools but it was then something I could apply to whichever writing program or whatever writing assignments were to follow. I think you should base your next move on how you feel (and how your daughter) feels about IEW right now. Love it? Cough up the money for SWI-CC level C. (You can always resell it, right?) Just so-so? Move on to the LTW. Also, check out the scope and sequence for SWI-CC...I think it involves moving through the rest of the 9 units, including writing from pictures, etc, which you may not value as much as the fundamental skills taught at the beginning. (I didn't.)

Or maybe your daughter is an accomplished writer and it's time to ditch the writing programs in favor of writing assignments simply drawn from her various studies. By 9th grade, I didn't have a class in "writing"--but I was expected to write English, history, science, etc. papers.

This is very helpful. I was on the fence about IEW, but felt that we had not done enough writing over the years. Honestly, I didn't have faith in my ability to break down the writing process, and to guide her.

IEW did get my children to really start writing, something they have done very reluctantly in the past. But I am really so-so about it, I could not stand to have to write that way.

I think I am leaning toward doing writing across the curriculum this year, finishing up our logic courses, and then moving on to a rhetoric course (LTW).

Thanks for yor input!

There are excellent FREE resources on the IEW Families yahoo group...I taught SWI B to my children last year and now I've been convinced to teach a co-op using B/C with two age groups...here is what I have done for the 9th graders

SWI-C for 12 weeks (we will probably finish sooner but I am adding Freytag's literary critique in there as well as vocabulary and editing with Fix-It)...then on to Elegant Essay and Teaching the Classics, I am looking at Windows to the World as well...

for my 6-8th graders we are doing American Literature in the second semester...and Freytag's critiques....

On the yahoo group there are many files of helps for high school and various schedules for teaching...I plan on sticking to IEW programs for 2-3 years and focusing on essay writing and literature critiques the last half...

HTH!

Tara

My 9th grader is doing IEW Windows to the World. I plan to have him do the Elegant Essay after that. He's an avid reader with a big vocabulary who loves to write. The IEW materials have been helpful for learning specific styles of writing. Windows to the World is basically a literature analysis course.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

The SWI's don't take you through all the units. They are an introduction that leads to either an SICC (you would move into SICC-B if you choose an SICC because it picks up where SWI-B leaves off) or you could do one of the theme based lessons.

Is the SICC material covered in the TWSS? I don't have another $250 in my budget for writing, I don't even know if I am willing to spend that much (I just purchased IEW end of June for this coming school year). Plus, I am afraid that the level B is just too easy for Dd. She did not seem to have any trouble working the dress-ups, openers, etc into her work.

There are excellent FREE resources on the IEW Families yahoo group...I taught SWI B to my children last year and now I've been convinced to teach a co-op using B/C with two age groups...here is what I have done for the 9th graders

SWI-C for 12 weeks (we will probably finish sooner but I am adding Freytag's literary critique in there as well as vocabulary and editing with Fix-It)...then on to Elegant Essay and Teaching the Classics, I am looking at Windows to the World as well...

for my 6-8th graders we are doing American Literature in the second semester...and Freytag's critiques....

On the yahoo group there are many files of helps for high school and various schedules for teaching...I plan on sticking to IEW programs for 2-3 years and focusing on essay writing and literature critiques the last half...

HTH!

Tara

Since I used level B for my rising 9th grader, would I have to continue in that level? I don't understand how the levels work, is there some sort of scope and sequence? The IEW rep I spoke to at the conference told me that level B was best since I was doing a 6th and 9th grader. I never asked about the differences in the levels and how they relate to the TWSS. The sequence of the TWSS videos and the sequence of the SWI seem to be different. I found it challenging to know what was being taught when (partly because dd was constantly working on IEW).

I think the scope and sequence of the A, B, C levels are mostly parallel, and it's just a question of the depth and complexity of the material. So I think you could have her jump into level C if you wanted more of a challenge.

However, since you say you have the TWSS DVDs, yes, they do contain the same material. The TWSS course is intended to teach you how to teach, but if your daughter is as motivated as she seems I don't know why you couldn't let her learn off of those. If she doesn't get it, you could look for plan B, but if you already have them, you don't really have anything to lose by letting her try them, right?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Right! Thanks!

Is the complexity of C due to the source material used?

The focus is different. It spends a lot more time on Essays and none on Research Reports, Creative Writing or Literary Critiques. I wouldn't jump to SICC-C for these reasons. The scope and sequence in each is different.

Here is what is covered in each. I'd also join the IEW Yahoo group and ask your questions there. It's an excellent resource.

SWI_levels-topics%20%28title%29.jpg

SICC_levels-topics%20%28title%29.jpg

SWI

The focus is different. It spends a lot more time on Essays and none on Research Reports, Creative Writing or Literary Critiques. I wouldn't jump to SICC-C for these reasons. The scope and sequence in each is different.

Here is what is covered in each. I'd also join the IEW Yahoo group and ask your questions there. It's an excellent resource.

SWI_levels-topics%20%28title%29.jpg

SICC_levels-topics%20%28title%29.jpg

SWI

All I am getting is red x's for whatever you were showing me. Oh well,

I have lurked on the Yahoo group, but not participated. I guess it is time to jump in. Thanks for your input. It has helped a lot.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
All I am getting is red x's for whatever you were showing me. Oh well,

I have lurked on the Yahoo group, but not participated. I guess it is time to jump in. Thanks for your input. It has helped a lot.

I'm sorry :( Here is a link to the page that I copied the graphics from.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/SWI-Topics

Jill from IEW is great and will do a much better job of helping you than I have. I used SWI-C with my boys last year (8th and 9th last year) because that's what I had but backed them up to SICC-B this year instead of going to SICC-C because of what is/isn't covered in both. Basically, I don't want them to miss out on the Research Reports, Creative Writing and Literary Critiques covered in SICC-B and want them to be more experienced writers before doing the more intensive Essay Writing in SICC-C.

Ok I posted a question and have been digging around the files of the IEW and TOG groups and I have found some answers. I will wait to see what Jill says as well.

Thanks to all of you for your help.