Menu

EB Games/Game Stop trade ins?

EB doesn't give very good trade-in value. They avg. about $5 for trade-in. From what we've found, your best best is to sell on Half or Ebay. We've had the best luck with Half. If they don't sell on Half, then we might trade-in at EB. :)

You don't need to make an appointment, just take your games in. They don't require you to have purchased the games from them. They do give a bigger $$ amount in store credit than in cash. How much they give you depends on the age of the game, how popular it is and how much they can resell it for, so it's not a set formula. They have a big binder with the games listed and what they give both in cash or store credit.

I'd say take yours down there and just ask what you'd get for them. You don't have to trade them in if you feel the amount they'll give you isn't enough. They won't wrench them out of your hands or anything. LOL

We've traded in a ton of games with GameStop (mostly xbox360 games). You don't get good money, unless it's a popular game - usually $5 or less. We always look out for coupons that add extra value to your trade-in.

You can trade in a game at any time the store is open (and I bet EB is like this too). They'll scan it, and offer you a price which you can either take or leave. I think corporate sets their prices - we've never been able to negotiate for a better price.

In the future - if you buy a used game at GameStop, you have 1 week to play it and return it if you don't like it. You don't get your money back, but you do get the full price to put towards a different game. We've done this a couple of times with kids' games since so few of them are good quality.

We trade games in at Game Stop all the time. For the most part, I refuse to pay full price for a game...unless it is something special (Mario Games?) or it is Christmas. Because of this, we mostly buy used...and trade games in.

*Most games you won't get a lot out of by itself, but they really start to add up if you are trading in multiple games. I recommend purchasing Game Stop's "Edge" card. For about $15 you get:

10% off every purchase of any used game

10% off every purchase of any used accessory

10% off every purchase of a strategy guide with a game

10% extra on every trade in

a full year of Game Informer magazine

Game Stop often will also have other promotions. We just went in last week, and they had a good trade in deal. For every three (Wii, 360 or PS3) games you traded in...you received an additional $10.

We trade games in at Game Stop all the time. For the most part, I refuse to pay full price for a game...unless it is something special (Mario Games?) or it is Christmas. Because of this, we mostly buy used...and trade games in.

*Most games you won't get a lot out of by itself, but they really start to add up if you are trading in multiple games. I recommend purchasing Game Stop's "Edge" card. For about $15 you get:

10% off every purchase of any used game

10% off every purchase of any used accessory

10% off every purchase of a strategy guide with a game

10% extra on every trade in

a full year of Game Informer magazine

Game Stop often will also have other promotions. We just went in last week, and they had a good trade in deal. For every three (Wii, 360 or PS3) games you traded in...you received an additional $10.

We are new to the whole gaming system thing, but my daughter wants to use her birthday money and savings to buy a refurb DSlite. If one is planning to buy a system from them, is it worth getting the card *before* buying the system? Do they give a discount on the system itself? Do you have to re-up with the card every year (I would imagine so)?

Also, if one buys a refurb DSlite from Gamestop, does it come loaded with any games or do you have to immediately buy something to be able to use it?

DS traded his DSi in at Game Stop when he wanted cash to get an iTouch. He was satisfied. I think if you had a really hot / popular somewhat-newly-released game you may do better selling on craigslist.

Honestly, though, when I consider how much of the boys'"business" I'd end up having to handle if they used craigslist... Game Stop is way more simple, even if it's a bit less economical

Edited by AuntieM