Menu

How many credits each year for high school?

I have too much scheduled for my son, but I'm not sure what to leave out. How many credits are usual for college bound students?

We finally started latin last year and we lived in Germany and my son will complete German I through Oklahoma State online. I really want my kids to start log this year too.

My kids are 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 1. Here is what I have for my 14 ds but I think it's too much...but I'm not sure how to lighten the load aned still strive for classical ed.

Algebr 2- 1 credit

English (R&S English and TOG writing)- 1 credit

Literature (TOG...should I give this 0.5 credit?)

Apologia Biology- 1 credit

History (TOG YR 4 U3-4 and Year 1 U1 and U2)- 1 credit

German I (he is about half way done but I will give him the 1 credit for this year)- 1 credit

Logic- not sure what I am using yet, I think Fallacy Detective. I guess 0.5 credits?

Latin I- 1 credit

I also plan to have him do SL Bible and he'll play sports too and I guess start on PSAT prep work. Should I award PE and Bible (Apologetics) credit? His schedule continues like this through high school.

Thanks

Sue

I have too much scheduled for my son, but I'm not sure what to leave out. How many credits are usual for college bound students?

Usually between 5 and 7.

Algebr 2- 1 credit

German I (he is about half way done but I will give him the 1 credit for this year)- 1 credit

Logic- not sure what I am using yet, I think Fallacy Detective. I guess 0.5 credits?

Latin I- 1 credit

I also plan to have him do SL Bible and he'll play sports too and I guess start on PSAT prep work. Should I award PE and Bible (Apologetics) credit? His schedule continues like this through high school.

Wow.

Well, usually, an English credit includes grammar, composition, *and* literature. I know we've discussed this before, but *I* would still only give 1 English credit, not 1.5. So your ds's breakdown of credits is this:

English--1 credit

History--1 credit

Math--1 credit

Foreign Language--2 credits

Science--1 credit

PE--1 credit

Electives:

Logic--1 credit

Apologetics--1 credit

Bible--1 credit

By my count, that's 10 credits...a very heavy load, IMHO.

Like Ellie said, a typical load is 5-7 credits. I also would give just one credit for English.

Algebra 2- 1 credit

English (R&S English and TOG writing and TOG literature)- 1 credit

German I - 1 credit

Logic - 0.5 credit

Latin I - 1 credit

PE - 1 credit

Bible - 0.5 credit

That adds up to 8 credits, a pretty heavy load.

I think it's too much...but I'm not sure how to lighten the load aned still strive for classical ed.

Algebr 2- 1 credit

Latin I- 1 credit

That IS a heavy load -- 8 classes (not even counting the Bible and sports/PE into the mix as either time or credit!) -- and none of them light or fun. JMO, but none of us can do it ALL (there is FAR more to learn in our modern world than even just 100 years ago, and much, much more than when people first started educating in a classical manner), so even a classical education means picking and choosing what is the "better" or the "best" for each student, and consciously letting go of the "good" so as not to break the student with too heavy a load. Teaching our children how to have balance in their lives (school to stretch and grow them, balanced with a healthy dose of things they enjoy) is so important these days in our over-busy, over-worked world! (Okay, all of that was really a little reminder for ME, not meant as lecture for you! :tongue_smilie:)

I am guessing your are a person of faith? Then, gently, my first suggestion is to set aside your schedule and go before the Lord and ask for His direction -- what are HIS plans for this DS; what does HE want you focusing on for DS's classes and developing DS's gifts, strengths and interests? What are the Lord's priorities for you to work on in high school, this last little window of opportunity you have to pour into your DS? As you ask, He is faithful to answer and will make it clear what classes, and how many classes would be the best for each of your children.

Second, has your DS expressed special interest in any particular career field or activity? Once our students reach high school, especially the last 2 or 3 years of high school, our role as parent/teacher moves towards helping our children achieve THEIR potential and goals. Sometimes that means moving away from traditional classical education classes such as Latin, Logic, Foreign Languages, Literature and History. If DS has no leanings in any particular direction, well, then, you can't go wrong with the solid foundation that a classical education provides; you just want to keep the amount you're doing reasonable so DS still has the ability to explore unexpected opportunities or interests as they crop up.

JMO: I would suggest NO MORE than 6 credits, esp. when they are all hard ones. Ways to pare back your schedule:

- Do only 1 language -- drop either the Latin or the German. That would leave 7 classes on your current schedule.

- Then either drop the Logic -- OR --

- Schedule only enough TOG history and literature to each equal 0.5 credit. That is a pretty standard amount of Literature, as it is usually 1/2 of the English credit, with the other 1/2 comprised of grammar and writing, with the grammar part diminishing to just a small portion in each successive year of high school. And typically, high school graduation/college admission requirements only look for 2 credits of History, so if you do just 0.5 credit of History in each of 4 years, you've accomplished what is required. Then you could add more History or Literature back in if you have time, and DS is interested; and you can count it towards elective credit. And paring the History and Lit. back to 0.5 credit each could also open up your schedule enough to do Fallacy Detective as a 0.5 credit of Logic...

Whatever you decide, I would also suggest keeping a close eye on tracking hours spent on each subject as a way of "taming" your subjects, and allowing your DS time to breathe, explore personal interests, try unexpected opportunities, do sports, etc. TOG is a GREAT program -- but it is also easy to pour WAY more time into TOG than the 120-180 hours that comprise each high school credit. (FWIW: I allot about 150 hours for each of our credits for consistency, which gives us up to 30 extra hours (to reach, but not go over, 180 hours) for labs/hands-on for Science, and reading/research for History or Literature.)

And please -- if what I've suggested does not fit with your homeschooling style or plans, ignore this post. :) All the very BEST, and wishing you every success for planning a schedule that works well for your whole family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Algebr 2- 1 credit

English (Including Lit) (R&S English and TOG writing)- 1 credit

Logic- * we used Fallacy Detective and the Thinking Toolbox * - 1/2 credits

Latin I- 1 credit

PE - 1/2 credit

7 credits this way - that's a pretty hefty load!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

We finally started latin last year and we lived in Germany and my son will complete German I through Oklahoma State online. I really want my kids to start log this year too.

My kids are 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, and 1. Here is what I have for my 14 ds but I think it's too much...but I'm not sure how to lighten the load aned still strive for classical ed.

Algebr 2- 1 credit

Latin I- 1 credit

Thanks

Sue

I agree with the others, I'd combine all the English into 1 credit. I'd also do either Latin or German. Here is my 14 yo ds's course load this year:

Bible - 1

English (grammar, composition, literature & spelling) - 1

Chemistry - 1

Algebra 2 - 1

Spanish - 1

Home Economics - 1 (his choice & may end up being spread out over more than one year)

Ancient World History & Humanities (honors) - 1

Ancient World Geography - .5

OT Church History - .5

I don't really count Bible in my credit count because we are required to have 1 credit every year and it wouldn't be taken in a public school. I also don't count PE in my total credit count.

I end up with a lot of credits because my history curriculum (TRISMS) is a unit study and generates several credits. It contributes to English (composition and literature) and is all the history/humanities/geographaphy courses. I pick the ones we are going to focus on (if I did them all I'd have WAY too many). I mention this because I see you are using TOG and that my contribute to the number of credits. TRISMS does increase the number of credits per year but not unrealistically so because there is often overlap when doing that type of study (learning OT Church History at the same time as Ancient History). One thing I did to decrease the number of credits is take the Hummanities course and History course (both worth 1 credit each) and make them into an Honors History & Humanities course that is worth 1 credit. There are several other credits TRISMS could generate but we have chosen not to focus on them because there just isn't enough time. For instance, we could also count a .5 credit Historical Science course. We will read the science info for his benefit (we find it interesting :) ) but he isn't going to spend much time studying it or write any of the assignments (we'll just be discussing them) so we won't award credit for it. If he wanted to spend more time on it and earn the .5 credit we'd spend less time on another aspect (like OT Church History or Geography) and drop it's .5 credit.

Sorry to write a book.

Thanks for GREAT input! I know my load looks heavy and I don't want it to be. I've seen different info on how many credits colleges/high schools want. So it seems 5-7 is on target for hs credits.

My ds has expressed interest in engineering. So, my intent is to have him finish calc in 12 grade (9th Algebra II, 10th Geometry, 11th Pre- calc which has trig, and 12th- calc). He really needs to improve his writing- he hates writing. There is nothing that he really wants to study or learn about.

Here are some changes below. Is there something else I can do to make it "better"?

Algebr 2- 1 credit

German I 1 credit

Logic- 1/2 credits

PE - 1/2 credit

I think I just won't count his Bible.

Sue

Thanks for GREAT input! I know my load looks heavy and I don't want it to be. I've seen different info on how many credits colleges/high schools want. So it seems 5-7 is on target for hs credits.

My ds has expressed interest in engineering. So, my intent is to have him finish calc in 12 grade (9th Algebra II, 10th Geometry, 11th Pre- calc which has trig, and 12th- calc). He really needs to improve his writing- he hates writing. There is nothing that he really wants to study or learn about.

Here are some changes below. Is there something else I can do to make it "better"?

Algebr 2- 1 credit

German I 1 credit

Logic- 1/2 credits

PE - 1/2 credit

Sue

I'd count Bible before I'd count PE. PE just "doesn't matter" to colleges, ime, anyway.

I'd pair something with Fallacy Detective, also, if you want to count it as logic.

I DON'T think what you have is too heavy at all.

And I'd only give one credit for English, comp AND lit.

Guess I'm draconian or something! lol

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Algebr 2- 1 credit

German I 1 credit

Logic- 1/2 credits

PE - 1/2 credit

Sue

I didn't mean I wouldn't list Bible on the transcript, I just don't "count" it when I'm figuring out how many credits we are doing that year. Both Bible and PE will be listed on our transcripts. That's how my ISP would do it regardless but even if I made my own transcripts they would still be on them.

Logic- * we used Fallacy Detective and the Thinking Toolbox * - 1/2 credits

:iagree: Both books would be needed for a 1/2 high school credit, IMHO.

I don't really count Bible in my credit count because we are required to have 1 credit every year and it wouldn't be taken in a public school.

Private Christian colleges are going to like seeing Bible on a high school transcript, and even secular colleges are going to be used to seeing Bible as a credit on many private school transcripts. Bible can even be a credit in some colleges if you are studying the actual source book, the Bible, rather than a devotional or something.

If Bible is going to be a full subject this year, then I'm glad the OP is going to include it on the transcript! And if it's a serious enough study to be included on the transcript, I think I'd include it when looking at her time commitment each day.

PE just "doesn't matter" to colleges, ime, anyway.

I haven't personally experienced it, but I've read about colleges who required phy ed credits be taken during college (and paid for) if it wasn't covered in high school. I'm glad the OP is going to include this on her transcript, too. And I guess I agree on not including it in her time commitment each day, unless she's really digging into a particular phy ed topic.

Julie

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Private Christian colleges are going to like seeing Bible on a high school transcript, and even secular colleges are going to be used to seeing Bible as a credit on many private school transcripts. Bible can even be a credit in some colleges if you are studying the actual source book, the Bible, rather than a devotional or something.

If Bible is going to be a full subject this year, then I'm glad the OP is going to include it on the transcript! And if it's a serious enough study to be included on the transcript, I think I'd include it when looking at her time commitment each day.

I didn't mean that I don't list Bible (or PE) on the transcript. What I meant was that when figuring out the number of credits for workload purposes (ie. how many credits should be scheduled so the students aren't overworked) I don't count Bible and PE. They absolutely WILL be listed on our transcripts. My ISP would list them anyway (they require a full year of Bible every year and write our transcripts) but even if we filed our own affidavit and wrote our own transcripts they would be listed.

I didn't mean that I don't list Bible (or PE) on the transcript. What I meant was that when figuring out the number of credits for workload purposes (ie. how many credits should be scheduled so the students aren't overworked) I don't count Bible and PE. They absolutely WILL be listed on our transcripts. My ISP would list them anyway (they require a full year of Bible every year and write our transcripts) but even if we filed our own affidavit and wrote our own transcripts they would be listed.

That makes perfect sense. I just like to include Bible in the workload because, well, I'm expecting quite a workload regarding Bible in high school :)

:iagree: Both books would be needed for a 1/2 high school credit, IMHO.

I haven't personally experienced it, but I've read about colleges who required phy ed credits be taken during college (and paid for) if it wasn't covered in high school. I'm glad the OP is going to include this on her transcript, too. And I guess I agree on not including it in her time commitment each day, unless she's really digging into a particular phy ed topic.

Julie

Yes, my son and I used both the Thinking Toolbox and the Fallacy Detective books for a 1/2 high school credit. We called it

Introduction to Logic on his transcript.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
That makes perfect sense. I just like to include Bible in the workload because, well, I'm expecting quite a workload regarding Bible in high school :)

I understand :) I don't "count" it when comparing what public/private school students "normally" take because that would basically take a credit away from other courses, KWIM? If my kids went to PS or private school we'd still be doing Bible at home (my dh teaches it in the evening) so they'd still be "taking" the same course on top of the public/private school course load. I don't "count" PE when planning because I don't consider it a class ;)

Sue, you originally listed English and Literature as one credit each. By revising your credit count to have them count as one credit together, are you going to change the work requirements for those classes? I guess I'm asking because the school we use lists English and Literature as separate and both count for a credit. I have no doubt that the work load will be equal to one credit for each. So are you changing the workload, or just listing it as fewer credits? If the workload will be the same, I'd give your son the credit for both. :)

Sue' date=' you originally listed English and Literature as one credit each. By revising your credit count to have them count as one credit together, are you going to change the work requirements for those classes? ... If the workload will be the same, I'd give your son the credit for both. :)[/quote']

YES, you said succinctly what I was trying to get at in my longer post! :) To reduce credit count, you MUST reduce workload; that's what I was trying to get at with the "counting hours" portion of my post. I find tracking hours helps me NOT overload my poor DC with 220 hours of work for 1 credit -- that is so not fair to them, and very unbalanced and inaccurate to the college looking at the transcript.

The other way tracking hours helps me, is by remembering that *very generally* a 1 credit class equals 40-60 minutes per day, for 5 days a week (or approx. 3.3 to 5 hours per week, if you schedule subjects in larger blocks of time on fewer days). If we are putting in way less or way more than that for a class, then it's time for me to re-evaluate the credit count. (Note: I do exclude some of the time (about 2 hours/week) it takes just to READ the Lit. from those hours.)