Menu

When you read, do you hear the words in your head?

Rebecca VA

Yup. This really slows down one's reading. If I try to do it, I get frustrated because it takes too long to read anything.

My family is the opposite.

I hear the words, don't visualize except fuzzy images sometimes, and I read fast with good comprehension.

My dd who makes a movie reads very slowly, but she also has good comprehension.

My dh not only makes a movie, but he'll add his own scenes to it! I think he reads fast when he reads, but when he gets distracted with adding scenes, it slows him down from finishing the book.

I don't really see pictures or hear words per say...it's more like an absorption...it just is! lol. I read very fast, and I think I only hit the main words in a sentence. If I get caught up in a really good book, I'm just gone...off into whatever world I'm reading about. My oldest dd is the same way...she inhales books.

This thread is very enlightening. I never realized some folks see movies when they read. I hear the words in my head but no pictures. If I'm reading a book that was a movie, I hear the actors voices in my head. Also, when I read Babyhood by Paul Reiser, I heard HIS voice through the whole book!

I asked my DC and my eldest hears the words in her head similar to I do but also sometimes sees still pictures (not moving ones). I never see anything.

Pegasus

Not always, for example there are many words that I read without ever knowing how to pronounce them.

Yup. Me too. It's coming back to bite me though, now I'm reading to me kiddies. I guess that's why the experts recommend we continue reading to our kids even after they can read themselves.

Rosie

Not always, for example there are many words that I read without ever knowing how to pronounce them.

Ah, but I end up "pronouncing" them in my head, which can have some interesting results later on. I went for *years* "pronouncing" Goethe in my head as "g-long o-th" rather than "GU®-tuh" because I had read it many times, but never heard it pronounced out loud (nor did I really know how to handle the phonetics of German ;)).

Many folks are saying that they don't enjoy reading because they only hear the words, which surprises me. I have always *loved* reading and am never without a book--I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to read, so the ability to see movies is not a requirement for a love of reading.

Ah, but I end up "pronouncing" them in my head, which can have some interesting results later on. I went for *years* "pronouncing" Goethe in my head as "g-long o-th" rather than "GU®-tuh" because I had read it many times, but never heard it pronounced out loud (nor did I really know how to handle the phonetics of German ;)).

Many folks are saying that they don't enjoy reading because they only hear the words, which surprises me. I have always *loved* reading and am never without a book--I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to read, so the ability to see movies is not a requirement for a love of reading.

:iagree: I can't remember how old I was when I realized what a "cup-board" is. :001_smile:

My family used to laugh at me because I'd get so engrossed in a book that they could talk about me and I wouldn't hear them. I have always loved reading, so the idea that hearing the words rather than seeing a picture is a liability is kind of shocking for me.

:iagree: I can't remember how old I was when I realized what a "cup-board" is. :001_smile:

I thought that a daschund was a "doxine" and not a different kind of dog called a "dash-hound" that happened to look somewhat similar to a "doxine.":D

I, too, have always been able to get so lost in a book I am oblivious to my surroundings (though not so much now that I have a child ;)). My husband is another lifelong voracious reader and he also hears the words in his head.

My family used to laugh at me because I'd get so engrossed in a book that they could talk about me and I wouldn't hear them. I have always loved reading, so the idea that hearing the words rather than seeing a picture is a liability is kind of shocking for me.

Lol. Just today I was reading a book while we were over a friends house and she was apparently having an entire conversation with me without me knowing it. Finally she came up in front of me and said "Hello, are you listening to me?" ...huh? :lol:

We've been friends for 10 years now, so she's used to it. I've had friends threaten to leave me behind if I didn't put the book down, an exboyfriend absolutely refused to go out with me if I was bringing a book... :tongue_smilie:Good thing DD takes after me and loves to read also!