Menu

Little kids and their cute mispronunciations

Older ds had almost perfect pronunciation from the time he could speak, but when he was 2, and was in the midst of a Thomas the Tank Engine obsession, he would call a caboose a boose-ca. We laughed so hard because he hardly ever mispronounced anything. The one thing he always mispronounced was captain, which came out as caftain. He still sometimes says caftain, but now he self corrects. :sad:

Ds 2 had trouble with Rs and Fs, so he said lots of cute things, like woot nacks, for fruit snacks and woggy wend for his lovey Froggy Friend.

He still doesn't quite manage all the R sounds, and I hear him self correcting a lot lately, and it's making me so sad! My little baby is becoming a big boy! :crying:

My whole family says "Crit-mit" for Christmas because that's how our little neighbor boy said it. He is now in his early thirties and getting married, but we still say Crit-mit!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of another one.

My youngest when he was about 2.5 came down one evening and said "I want a tawkin bed" My dh and I kept asking him "You want a talking bed?" and he'd say "yeah a tawkin bed" :confused: We thought he'd seen a commercial for a toy of some sort and said "ok we'll put it on your birthday list" and he got really mad and yelled "I'm sleepy, I want a tawkin bed" and that's when it dawned on me. He didn't want a "Talking bed" he wanted a TUCK in bed, meaning he wanted us to come tuck him in. :lol:

Oh, this reminds me of when ds1 when less than 18 mos old. As I put him to bed he asked for "affa-ross." I had no idea. A couple days later I realized he wanted his overalls--he'd been playing with the snaps that day and wanted to play with them in bed.

Cinder

My almost-4 year old says "swimming cool." Love it! I cannot bring myself to correct him.

ETA ... when my oldest was 18 months, I couldn't figure out for days what "tinnit" meant when I'd give him some milk in a sippy. Finally I realized he was asking for "ovaltine in it."

Edited by ChrisOR

My oldest used to say:

He had one mispronunciation that was a bit embarrassing. He went through a phase of substituting /f/ for /tr/. Which is fine for tree (fee) train (fain) tractor (factor), but not truck :001_huh: We got lots of raised eyebrows for a while in public.

My ds had a funny substitution, too! He would often sub /sh/ for /qu/. Like your story, it's not a problem for queen (sheen) and quick (shick)... but when you yell quit it doesn't go over quite so well - especially when talking to an annoying classmate in Sunday School! Thankfully that sound has changed to a /k/ and we're still working on the /qu/.

The older two called all meat chicken until not too long ago. Now I notice that Owen does it too. It's either chicken or burger.

My dd called EVERY meat by it's animal name and would ask which animal was in every.single.dish. If she asked what I was cooking, she only wanted to know if it had pig, cow, or chicken, lol! Hamburger was really confusing to her and she would say, "So it's pig?" She finally decided that was a bad name for it and we say meatburger to this day! (Somewhere along the way 'meat' came to always mean cow. :001_huh:)