Menu

How do you choose 'readers'? (2nd grade)

You mean readers for actual reading practice? I let my ds choose anything at the library he wants to read. Right now, he's stuck on Nate the Great! (Which I'm totally OK with.) I encourage some non-fiction books by getting easy reading non-fiction for the topics we are studying.

I think until your child is reading well, you have to let them choose what to read for practice. There are lots and lots of 'I Can Read' type books. Most of them, especially the older ones, are pretty good. Once they are reading well, then you can start replacing those books with the literature books that you want them to read and have been reading aloud.

There's my 2 cents, from someone who's only is just starting to actually read. :)

I do this...

You mean readers for actual reading practice? I let my ds choose anything at the library he wants to read. Right now, he's stuck on Nate the Great! (Which I'm totally OK with.) I encourage some non-fiction books by getting easy reading non-fiction for the topics we are studying.

This summer, dd has been stuck on a series of chapter books on fairies. She has read, and read, and read. I have occasionally had her read out loud and I've been amazed at how much her reading has improved. I also sneak in extra reading by asking her to read picture books (Madeline, Curious George, etc....) to her little sister.

For the school year, I'll add in easy readers on our history/science studies and I do have BJU grade 2 reader that I'll have her read out loud a few times a week.

I used the Sonlight reading list and was able to find so many of those titles for $.25 at my local thrift shop. My son is a very reluctant reader and has some processing/reading issues, but he really enjoyed the books listed for 2nd grade. I was impressed with the selection. We found that we both like the Clyde Robert Bulla books and stop at every used book store we can find looking for his books.

My son liked the Third Grade Detective books best, although I wasn't that thrilled with them (we skipped 2 of them). He also really liked Tornado, Sword in the Tree, and Riding the Pony Express.

Good luck!

Sonlight Readers are incredible. I highly recommend them and the Read-Alouds. We are mostly through Core 2 and I have been very impressed. I don't think you could go wrong with those.

Another option is McGuffey Readers - you can buy these on Rainbow Resource or Amazon (I think). They also have their own website. Each grade level has its own book and it's full of stories, poems, essays, etc. Each lesson is about a page and a half long at the second grade level (two of my kids are working their way through McGuffey Readers right now).

Another option is buying the reader from CLE. It would be under the CLE Reading and then the corresponding grade level. www.clp.org These are similar to the McGuffey Readers, but the stories are a lot longer.

There is another reader similar to CLE and that's Pathway Readers. www.pathwayreaders.com I haven't tried this one, but have seen good reviews.

I'm sure there are other readers besides these, but these are just off the top of my head.

I think until your child is reading well, you have to let them choose what to read for practice. There are lots and lots of 'I Can Read' type books. Most of them, especially the older ones, are pretty good. Once they are reading well, then you can start replacing those books with the literature books that you want them to read and have been reading aloud.

There's my 2 cents, from someone who's only is just starting to actually read. :)

:iagree:

I did put together a list for my dd based on her inetersts (largely animal stories) for "required" reading, but I tried to keep it light so she would have plenty of time to pick her own books as well.

I let ds choose the order, though.

Yep. We do SL books and I let him choose which books he wants to read and when. Some books we have skipped. He's really not interested in any horse stories at all. ;)

Oh, I also have the McGuffey books. Neither of my boys will read from the books. They hate those books.