Menu

Would love to see sample course loads that include TOG

As a follow-up to another post I made yesterday, I would like to see any sample course loads you might be willing to share with me that include TOG. I'm trying to figure out what is too much with TOG and I think seeing how others have used it, and added to it, may help me.

We'll be using TOG Year 3 for 9th grade, but I think other year plans would apply, also. My desire is to use TOG to the fullest, but I want to be reasonable in the amount of work I'm expecting, too.

If you could give me a one year list of courses, credit given, extracurriculars done, and how long your child spent on average each day working on the load, I'd appreciate it.

My Dd was in 9th last year but behind in a few areas. She used TOG year 2 and did D level work.

Other than TOG she did:

Apologia Physical Science

Saxon Alg 1/2 with Art Reed's DVDs

R&S English

IEW Medieval Writing

VFTCR

Henle

She is involved with CAP and is on the color guard which takes a lot of her spare time. She was on our church's worship team but we have since changed churches.

Overall she spent 5-6 hours on school.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Thanks for sharing your schedule, Jean! That's helpful. :) My son went to a Cap meeting this year to see what it was all about. Those kids are doing a lot! That is an education in itself. :tongue_smilie: My son wants to go again, but I still have to talk it over with dh. It is a big commitment with school and other extras.

My dd will be doing Y3 Rhetoric in 9th grade this year, after having done tog for 6 years previously (this is her first year in rhetoric). Here's my planned list for her:

TOG History (1 credit)

TOG English/Lit (1 credit)

TOG Church History (1/2 credit)

TOG Philosophy (1/2 credit)

Art 1 (Artistic Pursuits) (1 credit)

French 1 (BJU) (1 credit)

Physical Science (Apologia w/ DIVE) 1 credit

Algebra 1 (Lial) 1 credit

I'm not sure yet about any extra curricular activities, as we have just moved to a new city and I'm not sure what's out there. In the last city, she would've done a public speaking class (NCFCA) and possible tournaments.

yr 3, 9th grade.

Her check sheet/weekly planner has space for:

memory verse (we worked on whole books throughout the year)

vocab - Wordly wise 3000

German - on-line

Logic - a few pages from Critical Thinking books

Bible - teen CBS

guitar - lessons once a week

science - Apologia Bio

math - LOF Geometry

grammar - R&S book 9

art/music - TOG

Literature - TOG

writing - outside class, met once/week for an hour

history - TOG

She also did the philosophy, church history, and government readings and discussions. I haven't figured out exact credits but I'll follow what TOG says for their stuff.

Then extra curriculars - soccer (1/wk + games), AWANA (volunteer 1/wk), church stuff (volunteer, youth group 1/mo, Sunday school), teen CBS (1/wk), tennis (1/wk).

She was finished most days by noon. But she's a fast reader.

This will be for my 9th grader this coming year:

TOG Year 1 (substituting in some Omnibus in parts, only doing some writing assignments) - 1 credit for history, 1/2 for Bible (OT studies)

Writing class with small group (I teach it,) vocabulary, and grammar (diagramming, etc.) - 1 credit when combined with TOG literature

Latin I (Wheelock's) - 1 credit

BJUP Biology - 1 credit

Algebra II (VideoText) - 1 credit

Computer class at CC - 1/2 credit

Greek (independent study) - 1/2 credit

Health - 1/2 credit

Flute lessons and performances/ symphony's youth orchestra

Art classes/ art history in TOG

Swimming, ballet, etc.

dd will be doing Y3 Rhetoric in 9th grade this year, after having done tog for 2 years previously. Here's my planned list for her:

TOG History

TOG English/Lit

TOG Church History

TOG Philosophy

TOG Government

French 1 (Potter's School)

Apologia Physical Science or Chemistry (can't decide)

Algebra 1 (Foerster)

Classical Writing OB program (or possible MCT)

Music (piano, guitar, choir)

Spelling (trust me--she needs it still)

She's a good reader and a diligent worker.She'll also be riding and taking care of her horse.

I'm concerned about moving her into the great books. I may have her do a blended TOG 3 D/R program for a couple of months until she gets into the R rhythm

9th grade

I block teach, so 4 days a week, he works solo all day, except where the family comes together and then we have a 4pm meeting to go over any work from that day.

On the fifth day, we work out any teaching he'll need for the next 4 days of independent work. I purposefully use math and Latin programs (and soon Logic) that have DVD instruction so I can watch with him, but he can learn independently and work through problems well. I expect him to dual enroll next year for one class via CC and perhaps full time Dual enrollment, save TOG hostory and lit, Logic and Latin :) for grade 11.

ps wanted to add: we built up to using that much TOG, certainly didn't start there!

Tina,

How many hours did your son work each day in 9th? I looked over your blog, but wasn't sure I had a drift on his schedule. Great blog, btw! :)

Since we consider "TOG" history, geography, literature, government and church history, and we take notes, summarize and write pertaining to "history" and he's not a super fast reader (average speed), he will probably spend about 3 hours a day on all those areas.

This was my son's schedule last year as a 9th grader:

History- TOG year 3 rhetoric (1 credit)

English- Most TOG lit, Vocabulit, 1st two seasons of Analytical Grammar, IEW C as well as TOG writing (1 credit)

Church history- didn't give him credit but he did almost all of it

Apologia Chemistry ( 1 credit)

Chalkdust Geometry ( 1 credit)

Logic- Introductory and Intermediate Logic along with Teaching Company lectures ( 1 credit)

SOS Spanish ( 1 credit)

He did a little bit of piano, but our teacher's husband went into hospice in the fall and died in the spring and so really we didn't do it much. We just started again yesterday. He worked from 8 until at least 3 and many days 5. But he didn't have any homework!! I figured that was fine for the type of classes he was taking. He should be working almost all day. His friends in honors classes are up half the night doing homework!

Christine

This was my son's schedule last year as a 9th grader:

History- TOG year 3 rhetoric (1 credit)

English- Most TOG lit, Vocabulit, 1st two seasons of Analytical Grammar, IEW C as well as TOG writing (1 credit)

Church history- didn't give him credit but he did almost all of it

Apologia Chemistry ( 1 credit)

Chalkdust Geometry ( 1 credit)

Logic- Introductory and Intermediate Logic along with Teaching Company lectures ( 1 credit)

SOS Spanish ( 1 credit)

He did a little bit of piano, but our teacher's husband went into hospice in the fall and died in the spring and so really we didn't do it much. We just started again yesterday. He worked from 8 until at least 3 and many days 5. But he didn't have any homework!! I figured that was fine for the type of classes he was taking. He should be working almost all day. His friends in honors classes are up half the night doing homework!

Christine

I'm glad you mentioned homework. I hadn't even considered it. I'll have to bring that up to ds :)