Menu

grilling ribs

Use some vinegar before you start (we prefer apple cider variety), splash it liberally, rubb it in. Then add your dry stuff. Cook it in the oven for a little bit, then (like Mrs. Mungo said) finish it on the grill.

You'll know they're cooked all the way and you won't have to blacken them :)

My friend gave me a no-mess BBQ rib recipe that I have enjoyed making about 5 racks of ribs this summer this way.

First I split the rack into 3-4 pieces. I think there are 14 ribs to a rack so cut the rack so there are about 4 or 5 ribs to a section. Rub the rack with a dry rub of your choice. Make foil packets to seal each rib section in foil and refrigerate overnight. (I've also done this with only a few hours before cooking.)

Cook the ribs in their foil packets at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Remove the ribs from the packets and grill about 10-15 on a side basting with your favorite BBQ sauce. We use Sweet Baby Rays. These are fall off the bone delicious and there is little mess because you just throw the foil packets away.

There will be juice in the foil packets, but I have found that nobody ever used the juice at the table when I boiled it and put it on the table for an extra sauce. I just drain it and throw the foil away. I used to boil the ribs before grilling, but that was so messy and the water smelled!

This is the way to go!

I'm with Mrs. Mungo. I put a dry rub on my ribs and bake them in a roasting pan and bake at 300 degrees for a couple of hours. I make up a batch of sauce and then the dh throws them on the grill at a fairly low temperature, basting constantly for maybe a half-hour.

However, I have a friend who simply boils his ribs for an hour or so and then grills them with sauce. The boiling thing sounded *disgusting* to me, but he fed us some pretty tender fall-off-the-bone ribs. That being said, I just can't fathom boiling them.

I first cook them in the oven on a lower heat for a longer time. In the oven, I cook the ribs resting on top of a thick layer of onions and salt the ribs with kosher salt. I finish them off on the grill with BBQ sauce. One of my favorites is Ol' West. I believe it is made right here in South Dakota!

Dh did what FIL said and they turned out good. He said to put them on the grill over a low medium heat and every little bit spray them with apple juice. (put apple juice in a spray bottle). Then at the very end if you want to smear on some bbq sauce (used his recipe for bbq sauce).