Menu

Art classes...what do you look for?

Yolanda

There are a few art classes available in our area and I'm going to have to do some research/interviewing to see which will be the best fit for us. I don't just want to go the route of the least expensive....I just may get what I pay for!

My main goal is exposure. She's been exposed to the arts from a very early age and we continue that today. I'd like to expand her 'palette', so that's where I'm at.

What are your thoughts on art classes? What differences have you experienced?

Thanks,

Yo

The TEACHER! I am working with art teachers at our arts center and wow! what a difference the teacher makes. A loving, organized, enthusiastic, authentic, invested teacher will be worth every penny. Ask for references. Ask if you kid can sit in on a class. Find the best teacher for you kid, every kid blossoms in a different environment, discover what is best for you and your child.

• 3 months later...

The teacher makes a huge difference. One that is too controlling with stiffle the creativity. One that can't control her class, doesn't allow time for creativity. Enthusiam and confidence are important. My girls don't like teachers that tell them what to draw. They prefer to be shown a technique then given time to work on it with the teacher to answer questions if needed.

My kids don't like the kind of classes where it is too open ended with a focus on being creative.

Mine like classes where they are shown a specific technique and asked to practice it.

:iagree:

When they are older and you want them to learn some technical skills I agree with staying away from open ended type of art classes.

For example, when I am paying for a drawing class I want them to receive instruction in specific technical skills. If they are being told to do something that is not technical or skills based, such as close your eyes and draw with your none dominant hand , than I feel I have wasted my money. I used that as an example because I met an art teacher who would waste an entire class session with that type of "practice".

The quality of instruction can vary greatly from one teacher to the next. Be sure to find out exactly what type of instruction your child will be receiving so you do not waste time and money on useless exercises if you are wanting instruction in technical skills.

There are all different types of art classes- some more "crafty", some are more focused on the development of serious art skills (painting, drawing, sculpture). My husband is a ps art teacher and teaches private classes after school for 6th-12th graders (some adults also take). One question he always asks parents before enrolling their kid(s) in class is, "How well does your child handle your criticism of his work? Does he just want to be praised, or is he open to suggestions/criticism?" My husband believes there is not a lot he can teach a kid who just wants to hear praise (usually 5th grade and below). There is a maturity that is necessary to truly develop a child's talent. I'm not sure what age your child is or what you want from the art class, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Honestly, for me, the cost is pretty key for art. I mean, I've seen prices for a 6-8 week session in our area range from $35-$300, so that's a pretty big difference. In my experience, you don't always get what you pay for either - I've paid out a pretty penny only to see that the class was nothing, whereas the art classes the kids are in now - while not the best ones ever - only cost us $45 and are great - the teacher is enthusiastic and they're being exposed to lots of different projects. I may, at some point, shell out a little more for them to go back to the place I like where they do more with technique.

I think it depends on the age of the kid too. As kids get older, it should be more about developing skill and less about exposure and trying new methods. But mine are pretty young, so...

Honestly, for me, the cost is pretty key for art. I mean, I've seen prices for a 6-8 week session in our area range from $35-$300, so that's a pretty big difference. In my experience, you don't always get what you pay for either - I've paid out a pretty penny only to see that the class was nothing, whereas the art classes the kids are in now - while not the best ones ever - only cost us $45 and are great - the teacher is enthusiastic and they're being exposed to lots of different projects. I may, at some point, shell out a little more for them to go back to the place I like where they do more with technique.

I think it depends on the age of the kid too. As kids get older, it should be more about developing skill and less about exposure and trying new methods. But mine are pretty young, so...

Farrarwilliams,

How do you FIND these art classes? Where do you begin to look?