Menu

Is Singapore MPH Science 3/4 too easy for 5th grader?

kailuamom

I am jumping right in with 5/6 this fall with dd, who is a fourth grader. I decided to start there because she will starting SM 5A around the same time, and someone on these boards suggested matching up math and science levels, which does make a lot of sense to me. I haven't seen the 3/4 materials, but the 5/6 materials don't seem like they will be too difficult. I am actually glad I ordered the higher level because I can see that she has already done a lot of the 5/6 activities in co-op science classes (classes for 6 - 9 year olds).

I would say the 3/4 would be much too easy. I'm basing that on the text and activity books. The Homework book and Higher Order Thinking Skills look a bit more challenging -- mine should arrive tomorrow & I could post again, if you like.

There are a few topics covered in 3/4 that are not covered in 5/6. Magnetism would be an example. If you want to do this, my suggestion would be to get the Activity Book only, not the Textbook. Or perhaps the Homework book would be enough?

I would say the 3/4 would be much too easy. I'm basing that on the text and activity books. The Homework book and Higher Order Thinking Skills look a bit more challenging -- mine should arrive tomorrow & I could post again, if you like.

That would be great! :)

The Homework book and Higher Order Thinking Skills look a bit more challenging -- mine should arrive tomorrow & I could post again, if you like.

The Homework book and the HOTS book are very different (not cartoony) from the text and activity books -- I think they would be fine for a 5th grader. Without those books, the program does not seem very substantial, as opposed to SM, where the main program can stand alone. The Singapore website suggests that the Homework book can also be used instead of the Tests book for assessment.

BTW, we also have the More Notes book -- you could get the same info from internet or other books, but everything is conveniently put together in the Notes.

When doing S-pore science, always use the homework and HOTS book. That's where the concept development takes place and also that's what makes S-pore MPH appropriate for 3/4 and 5/6.

The HOTS book from S-pore 3/4 can be used to supplement the 5/6 (if your child hasn't done the 3/4) on topics which are not addressed in 5/6.